• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Who will OC in Lansing Wednesday???

viperar15

imported post

i plan on OC'ing to ours. In front of the Midland Court House. Though I do have a question. Dad thinks it's illegal to Carry (concealed or open)at demonstrations such as this. Can anyone shed some light on this?

Sorry for the hi-jack... ;-)

BigE

imported post

I will be in Lansing if I am able, if not I will be attending our local "tea party" in Port Huron, and will open carry. Anyone else going to the Port Huron rallly and OC'ing?

DrTodd

Michigan Moderator
imported post

viperar15 wrote:
i plan on OC'ing to ours. In front of the Midland Court House. Though I do have a question. Dad thinks it's illegal to Carry (concealed or open)at demonstrations such as this. Can anyone shed some light on this?

First, my standard disclaimer:
"I am not a lawyer and this is in no way to be construed as legal advice. This information is provided for educational purposes only and may not apply to your particular situation and/or circumstances. If you need legal advice concerning any particular behavior, please consult an attorney."

Some states do outlaw 'picketing' while in possession of a firearm; I could find no Michigan law that prohibits it, though. If you do something "illegal" while carrying however, it could be considered a violation of MCL750.226, "Firearm or dangerous weapon; carrying with unlawful intent". But as long as you are just picketing legally on public property, it should not be a problem.

Venator

Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter
imported post

I will be OCing at the Lansing rally along with a few other MOC members. We are meeting near the Blair Statue on the east side of the Capitol. I will have our MOC banner on display so look for that.

DrTodd

Michigan Moderator
imported post

Thanks for the information... I will probably be down there about 5pm

April 15, 5:00pm until 6:30 pm at Ah-Nab-Awen Park, which is on the Grand River in front of the Gerald R. Ford Presidential Museum in Grand Rapids.

viperar15

imported post

DrTodd wrote:
viperar15 wrote:

First, my standard disclaimer:
"I am not a lawyer and this is in no way to be construed as legal advice. This information is provided for educational purposes only and may not apply to your particular situation and/or circumstances. If you need legal advice concerning any particular behavior, please consult an attorney."

Some states do outlaw 'picketing' while in possession of a firearm; I could find no Michigan law that prohibits it, though. If you do something "illegal" while carrying however, it could be considered a violation of MCL750.226, "Firearm or dangerous weapon; carrying with unlawful intent". But as long as you are just picketing legally on public property, it should not be a problem.
thank you.

Graydon

Activist Member
imported post

I OCd at Lansing yesterday and I even carried my biggest pistol just to make sure everyone could see it! :) I OCd to lunch at Jimmy Johns afterwards too.

I looked for you guys but in the brief moments I had free to wander, I couldn't find you. I did see Kimberguy in his bright blue shirt but both times I approached him to talk, he was swamped with folks asking about OC so I let him be. He was doing a far better work answering their questions than to talk to me.

Check out our website if you have a minute... www.micitizensforliberty.com

Venator

imported post

Graydon wrote:
I OCd at Lansing yesterday and I even carried my biggest pistol just to make sure everyone could see it! :) I OCd to lunch at Jimmy Johns afterwards too.

I looked for you guys but in the brief moments I had free to wander, I couldn't find you. I did see Kimberguy in his bright blue shirt but both times I approached him to talk, he was swamped with folks asking about OC so I let him be. He was doing a far better work answering their questions than to talk to me.

Check out our website if you have a minute... http://www.micitizensforliberty.com

Good to hear from you Graydon. I know you have been busy with your new business. We did post a meeting place for OCers to meet on the east side of the Capitol by the Austin Blair statue. I would have liked to see you, the last time was the Burton picnic.

Graydon

Activist Member
imported post

Venator wrote:
Graydon wrote:

Check out our website if you have a minute... http://www.micitizensforliberty.com

Good to hear from you Graydon. I know you have been busy with your new business. We did post a meeting place for OCers to meet on the east side of the Capitol by the Austin Blair statue. I would have liked to see you, the last time was the Burton picnic.
Yes, I have been busy, but not too busy to at least try to do a small part to help the cause of defending our constitution. I tell everyone I meet about carrying both openly and concealed. My wife does too!

I read about meeting by the big statue but I must have come too late or something because I didn't see anyone there either. That is OK though, I was with a really great group of folks who gathered as a result of the website I mentioned above.

Venator

imported post

Graydon wrote:
Venator wrote:
Graydon wrote:

Yes, I have been busy, but not too busy to at least try to do a small part to help the cause of defending our constitution. I tell everyone I meet about carrying both openly and concealed. My wife does too!

I read about meeting by the big statue but I must have come too late or something because I didn't see anyone there either. That is OK though, I was with a really great group of folks who gathered as a result of the website I mentioned above.
Most were there from 11:30 untill it broke up, as was I, I know you couldn't have missed meI'm pretty big.;)

Taurus850CIA

imported post

Graydon, if I'm not mistaken, you are the person I ran into last March or April in the Fenton Wal-Mart. You walked by the ammo counter as I was getting a fishing license, then I went looking for you. I think I was the only person in line that noticed you carrying... Looking forward to meeting you again.

Graydon

Activist Member
imported post

Taurus850CIA wrote:
Graydon, if I'm not mistaken, you are the person I ran into last March or April in the Fenton Wal-Mart. You walked by the ammo counter as I was getting a fishing license, then I went looking for you. I think I was the only person in line that noticed you carrying... Looking forward to meeting you again.
That could very well be. We live just outside of Fenton and as much as I dislike it, we shop at Wal-Mart occasionally. At least the ammo is US made! :)

Was I OCing that day or did you catch me printing while CCing?

Let's get together some time.