• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Any Maryland Shall Issue LTC Legislation

junglebob

imported post

I was wondering if there is any shall issue LTC legislation in the Maryland legislature.

I live in the "right denied" state of Illinois, where you can't even get a LTC from the state even if you are rich and well connected. I do however have a Pa and Utah LTC. I'm on the Illinoiscarry.com/forum which is working to get shall issue LTC in Illinois. I was wondering if there is a similar group in Maryland.

One of the few times that Illinois gun laws looked sort of good to me was after I planned a trip to Pa. I was planning on taking my handgun along. I flew into BWI airport and after reading up on Maryland transport laws I decided to leave my handgun at home. Just for information people do fly in and out of Chicago's O'Hare Airport with handguns.

Here in Illinois we have good support for LTC legislation in southern Illinois where I live. There were 2 counties down here that had a resolution on the ballot asking if the state should pass LTC legislation. In one county the yes vote was 90% and the other 84% both counties are over 300 miles from Chicago and Cook County. Chicago is the main reason we don't have LTC.

Here in Illinois LTC legislation is often never let out of committee as the Senate and House leaders both oppose it.

The Illinois State Rifle Association supports LTC and have a Gun Owners Lobby Day in the capital each year. Illinois Carry has helped promote it the last few years and it has gone from several hundred people attending several years ago to about 1500in 2007, about 2500 in 2008, to over 5000 this year.

Our gun laws in Illinois aren't all that good, but open carry is legal in rural areas outside a vehicle, unless there is a local ordinance prohibiting it. Also transporting an unloaded cased firearm with a loaded magazine on your person is legal if you have a Firearm Owners ID (FOID) card. No, you don't have to be traveling to a range or to a gun shop to get it repaired or similar destination.That being said you still might get arrested doing it, it is often referred to as "fanny packing" here. There may be some municipalities that prohibit it, but none in Southern Illinois that I know of.

I assume that even women with a "protection order" normally can't get a LTC in Maryland. If so are you using this fact to push shall issue LTC?

echo6tango

imported post

Yes, yes there was...HB470 "Repealing the requirement that the Secretary of State Police find that a person has a good and substantial reason to wear, carry, or transport a handgun before issuing a handgun permit to the person."
Unfavorable Report by Judiciary: http://www.mlis.state.md.us/2009rs/billfile/HB0470.htm

It even had like 42 sponsors, but apparently, legislation in Maryland can be blocked by a single State Senator: http://www.froshwatch.com/

junglebob

imported post

It looks like you have the same problem with Senator Frosh as we have with Speaker of the House Madigan. If he doesn't want a bill to come up for a vote he can prevent it. The same goes for the senate president.Our now infamous corrupt former governor Rod Blagojevich was probably one of the most anti-self defense governors we have had, not sure what his replacement would do if a LTC bill did get to his desk. Even before his arrestBlagojevich's approval rating was at 18%, even democrat legislatorsdisliked him.If the governor vetoes it takes 60% to override his veto.

On the bright side 3 anti-gun bills have been voted down or not been called up for a vote in time to pass this session. There was a one gun a month bill, a bill with penalties for not reporting a lost or stolen firearm, and a bill requiring all firearm owners to have a million dollar liability policy.

BTW, For those brave enough to try it, it appears open carry in rural areas of Illinois isn't allowed if you aren't hunting. At least thats how I read the statutes.

echo6tango

imported post

Yeah, we've had a few years of bad bills get shut down by a lot of very good folks at some grassroots organizations in Maryland. Now if the majority of the population would get on board with fighting for thier freedoms...

Good luck to you and your State sir!

junglebob

imported post

Echo, Glad to hear that you've had some success in stopping more bad gun legislation. Here in Illinois we have the Illinois State Rifle Association which has 2 full time lobbyists and one part time. The antis have a lot more lobbyists.

How many senators does Maryland have? We have 59 in Illinois. I can't imagine haveing 40 of them sponsoring a firearms bill. Having say 80 plus percent of the state senators in Southern Illinois (south of I64 and south of St.Louis,Mo) wouldn't be surprising. The attitudes on firearms between us here and Chicago is the difference between night and day.

Something interesting happened this year in Winnebago County where Rockford Illinois is located. The are located in Northern Illinois north of I80, whichusually seems to be the dividing line for supporting or not supporting LTC and other pro firearms legisalation. What was unusual is that a county board member brought a resolution that the county issue LTC permits.The state doesn't actually allow counties to do this so it was an interesting idea. They had several months of meetings on it and it ended up having a lot of support. They were talking about making LTC holders auxillarydeputies. Problem is auxillary deputies can only carry while on duty. They finally decided it wasn't going to work. They had even talked about a lawyer to defend anyone arrested because the state didn't recognize the county LTC.

Hope you get shall issue LTC soon. Some folks here say the cubs will win the World Series before we do.

junglebob

imported post

Echo, Glad to hear that you've had some success in stopping more bad gun legislation. Here in Illinois we have the Illinois State Rifle Association which has 2 full time lobbyists and one part time. The antis have a lot more lobbyists.

How many senators does Maryland have? We have 59 in Illinois. I can't imagine haveing 40 of them sponsoring a firearms bill. Having say 80 plus percent of the state senators in Southern Illinois (south of I64 and south of St.Louis,Mo) wouldn't be surprising. The attitudes on firearms between us here and Chicago is the difference between night and day.

Something interesting happened this year in Winnebago County where Rockford Illinois is located. The are located in Northern Illinois north of I80, whichusually seems to be the dividing line for supporting or not supporting LTC and other pro firearms legisalation. What was unusual is that a county board member brought a resolution that the county issue LTC permits.The state doesn't actually allow counties to do this so it was an interesting idea. They had several months of meetings on it and it ended up having a lot of support. They were talking about making LTC holders auxillarydeputies. Problem is auxillary deputies can only carry while on duty. They finally decided it wasn't going to work. They had even talked about a lawyer to defend anyone arrested because the state didn't recognize the county LTC.

Hope you get shall issue LTC soon. Some folks here say the cubs will win the World Series before we do.

junglebob

imported post

junglebob

imported post

BTW, Do many of you Maryland folks have non-resident LTC from Utah or Florida? Anumber of folks at the Illinoiscarry.com/forum have Pa LTC or Utah or Florida some all of them and New Hampshire. Pa isn't hard for us Illinoisans to get since our state doesn't issue, you need your states LTC if they do. Someone asked the sheriff in Centre County who issues non-resident LTChow many applications they get from Illinois and he said a couple hundred a month. You can use any NRA course I understand to get Florida, for Utah it needs to be a course by a Utah certified instructor. Both applications can be done by mail. One reason to have a non-resident LTC is you can ask legislators "Why won't my state issue to me where another where I don't livenor pay taxes to will?"

MikeV

imported post

echo6tango wrote:
Yes, yes there was...HB470 "Repealing the requirement that the Secretary of State Police find that a person has a good and substantial reason to wear, carry, or transport a handgun before issuing a handgun permit to the person."
Unfavorable Report by Judiciary: http://www.mlis.state.md.us/2009rs/billfile/HB0470.htm

It even had like 42 sponsors, but apparently, legislation in Maryland can be blocked by a single State Senator: http://www.froshwatch.com/

I am not defending Sen Frosh at all but. HB470 was a House Bill that was defeated in Commitee. Sen Frosh had nothing to do with it's defeat.

However Sen Frosh has single handedly kept a Civil ImmunityBill from even reaching a Committe Vote. Ironically this bill was passed unanimoulsy in the House in more than one legislative session.

MikeV

junglebob

imported post

A few years ago in Illinois a resident of a Chicago suburb with a handgun ban ordinance defended his home with a handgun. The city went after him for ordinance violation. After that a bill was introduced in the legislature to giving you an "affirmative defense" against an ordinance violation if you used a firearm in defense of yourself or another. The bill had a lot of support about 2/3 voted for it as I recall. One voting against it was a young state senator by the name of Obama (once in a while he did actually vote)It went to the governor, now the infomousformer governor Blagojevich and he vetoed it. It went back and was passed over his veto.

In the wake of the Heller decision several Chicago area cities dropped their handgun ban ordinances. NRA and the Illinois State Rifle Association of course brought lawsuits against them as soon as the Heller decision was announced, next day as I recall. Chicago itself is a different matter.