• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Carrying at tax day tea party, legal or no?

AWDstylez

Banned
imported post

Like most convoluted firearms laws, I can never get this one right. I know it's illegal to carry to federals buildings, but what about outside state buildings? The protest is supposed to be on the "steps" of capitol building in Hartford. Would it be legal to carry there? Don't just say yes or no. I'd kind of like a statute to point to. No, I wouldn't be open carrying, but I still don't want to do anything illegal.

JUMPMASTER

imported post

The only thing that covers this is the following statute but it pertains only if you are within a building. Standing on the outside steps is not covered under this statute. Don't go inside to take a leak.

Sec. 2-1e. Interference with the legislative process; firearms; dangerous or deadly weapons; explosives; felony. (a) A person is guilty of interfering with the legislative process when he, alone or in concert with others, either by force, physical interference, fraud, intimidation or by means of any independently unlawful act, prevents or attempts to prevent any member, officer or employee of the General Assembly, either house thereof or any committee of the General Assembly or either house thereof, from performing any of his official functions, powers or duties.

(b) A person is guilty of coercing performance when he, alone or in concert with others, either by force, physical interference, fraud, intimidation or by means of any unlawful act, compels or induces any member, officer or employee of the General Assembly, either house thereof or any committee of the General Assembly or either house thereof to perform any acts as a member, officer or employee against his will.

(c) Notwithstanding the provisions of sections 29-35 and 53-206, (1) a person, other than a state or local police officer, a member of the Office of State Capitol Police or a police officer of any other state or of the federal government, who is carrying out official duties in this state, or any person summoned by any such officer to assist in making arrests or preserving the peace while he is actually engaged in assisting such officer, while such officer is in the performance of his official duties or any member of the armed forces of the United States, as defined by section 27-103, or of this state, as defined by section 27-2, in the performance of official duties, or any veteran, as defined by section 27-103, performing in uniform as a member of an official ceremonial unit, is guilty of interfering with the legislative process when he, alone or in concert with others, brings into, or possesses within, any building in which the chamber of either house of the General Assembly is located or in which the official office of any member, officer or employee of the General Assembly or the office of any committee of the General Assembly or either house thereof is located or any building in which a committee of the General Assembly is holding a public hearing, any weapon, whether loaded or unloaded, from which a shot may be discharged, or a billy; and (2) any person is guilty of interfering with the legislative process when he, alone or in concert with others, brings into, or possesses within, any such building, a switchblade, gravity knife, blackjack, bludgeon, metal knuckles or any other dangerous or deadly weapon or instrument, or any explosive or incendiary or other dangerous device.

(d) The violation of any provision of this section is a class D felony.

romma

imported post

I don't see why carrying would be illegal at one of these. The CT Statues have nothing... But then again, the have nothing in there regarding Open Carry now either... :uhoh:

See you tonight Bennett.

romma

imported post

I don't see why carrying would be illegal at one of these. The CT Statues have nothing... But then again, the have nothing in there regarding Open Carry now either... :uhoh:

See you tonight Bennett.

littlemike

imported post

There is even less question about the New Haven one, where the closest building is an IKEA store. :lol: I'll be going to that one. Unfortunately, afterwards I'll be traveling through Massachusetts, where I don't have a CCW permit.:(