• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Man arrested for wheel lock 'gun'

IanB

imported post

http://www.news.com.au/couriermail/story/0%2C23739%2C25325471-952%2C00.html

A YOUNG driver has demanded an apology from police after being arrested and handcuffed because an officer believed his steering wheel lock was a gun.

Chad Hastings, 18, of Zillmere on Brisbane's northside, was on his way to work early on Thursday morning when he was pulled over by police on Milton Rd in the innercity.

While a female officer breath-tested Mr Hastings, another officer checked his Nissan Skyline with a torch.

He was then ordered to get out of the car and sit on the footpath while the officer demanded to know why there was a gun in the vehicle.

"I said, 'What the hell? I have no idea what you're talking about'," Mr Hastings said.

The policeman repeated the question before handcuffing the teenager and telling him he was under arrest.

Mr Hastings tried to explain he had only recently moved to Brisbane from Coffs Harbour to play for the Redcliffe Dolphins' Colts rugby league team.

"I said 'maybe someone put a gun in my car. It's an easy car to get into and I often don't lock it up and I stayed at a friend's place last night'," he said.

Mr Hastings said the policeman then called for backup while he sat shaking on the footpath, wondering how a gun could be in his car.

When two senior police arrived in an unmarked vehicle the situation was quickly resolved and the handcuffs removed from Mr Hastings.

"As the officer walked away he said 'get a new steering wheel lock, it looks like a bloody gun'," he said.

"I was absolutely gobsmacked. I said 'are you serious? All that for a steering lock?'," he said.

Mr Hastings said the officer then replied he was "a lucky boy".

"He told me 'any other cop would have had you at gunpoint'."

The part-time labourer said he was shaken and dazed by the incident but he had no plans to get a new steering wheel lock.

"If they'd opened the car and examined it more closely this whole thing could've been avoided," he said.

"An apology would've been nice. He could've said 'sorry mate but we have to take extreme precautions'. It doesn't leave you with a very good impression."

Police yesterday released a brief statement to The Courier-Mail about the incident.

"A police officer has the power to detain a person suspected of being involved in illegal activities until the necessary inquiries are made to ascertain the situation and ensure the safety of the community and police," the statement read.

"This includes situations where there is suspicion a person is in possession of a firearm."

The Queensland Police Union declined to comment.

AWDstylez

Banned
imported post

nakedshoplifter wrote:

A YOUNG driver has demanded an apology from police after being arrested and handcuffed because an officer believed his steering wheel lock was a gun.

Chad Hastings, 18, of Zillmere on Brisbane's northside, was on his way to work early on Thursday morning when he was pulled over by police on Milton Rd in the innercity.

While a female officer breath-tested Mr Hastings, another officer checked his Nissan Skyline with a torch.

wat

BhmBill

imported post

AWDstylez wrote:
nakedshoplifter wrote:

wat
Skylines arent exactly exotic over there. Some can be had for about $4000. They're common like civics are here. Not a hot commodity like they are here.

Tomahawk

imported post

When I read the title of this thread I thought a guy was busted for having one of these:

20229504.JPG

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Tomahawk wrote:
When I read the title of this thread I thought a guy was busted for having one of these:

20229504.JPG

Me, too!

Brings back memories of the good ol' days, doesn't it? Drilling with the pikemen and musketeers?

Winding the things up was such a chore. We had one guy in our squad--lost his key pretty much every other exercise. The captain sent him to the artillery. Figured he couldn't lose a whole cannon.

:D

IanB

imported post

MousePrifeII wrote:
yea sure it does.
AWDstylez wrote:
Downhill maybe.

LOL I knew I'd get challenged. Especially by someone who worships AWD! :lol:

This isn't my timeslip, but note the 1/4 mile time: 14.486 / 96.51 MPH

slips2.jpg

The mods on the above GTI:intake,rear engine mount

My GTI isis chipped and makes +53HP and +103TQ over the GTI in this timeslip. My GTI will also slowly walk away from an STI from a roll, just ask Unrequited on this board. We didn't try anything from a dig.

Every stock GTI I've seenproduces a mid to high 14 second trap on a good launch.

See: http://www.golfmkv.com/forums/showthread.php?t=20159

AWDstylez

Banned
imported post

nakedshoplifter wrote:
My GTI isis chipped and makes +53HP and +103TQ over the GTI in this timeslip. My GTI will also slowly walk away from an STI from a roll, just ask Unrequited on this board. We didn't try anything from a dig.

Every stock GTI I've seenproduces a mid to high 14 second trap on a good launch.
What year GTI are you talking about? I've raced full bolt-on and chipped1.8TGTI'sin my friend's Ion RL (consistant 14.0 @ 99) and that thing walked them like no tomorrow, yet it wouldn't pull any year STi from any speed roll.

IanB

IanB

imported post

That's not my timeslip, that slip is for a unchipped GTI. The GTI is the time on the RIGHT, 14.486 NOT 13.XXX

I'm done discussing cars on a gun forum. Everyone has their bias and I know I have mine. If someone doubts what my car can do and they are local to NoVA, they are invited to PM me and we'll line them up for bragging rights.

Overtaxed

imported post

If I carelessly swing my arm while walking and make contact with a fellow pedestrian, I owe them an apology.

If I fail to fix a client's computer, take too long to fix it, or lose their data while trying to fix it, I owe them an apology.

If I pass by a construction site, and a careless crane operator drops a load that falls on my head, that operating engineer owes me an apology.

Why are police the only profession that are somehow exempt from having to apologize for doing their job incorrectly?

Overtaxed

imported post

Citizen wrote:
Tomahawk wrote:

20229504.JPG

Me, too!

Brings back memories of the good ol' days, doesn't it? Drilling with the pikemen and musketeers?

Winding the things up was such a chore. We had one guy in our squad--lost his key pretty much every other exercise. The captain sent him to the artillery. Figured he couldn't lose a whole cannon.

:D
You haven't by any chance seen the Last Valley with Michael Caine and Omar Sharif? Awesome film about the Thirty Years' War... I believe that Caine's (playing a German mercenary captain!) character wielded a wheelock pistol.