Thread: OT: Soldier accidentally killed while while teaching wife pistol handling skills

Post imported post

Fort Lewis soldier killed in accidental shooting

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/htm...rkilled12.html

OLYMPIA — A Fort Lewis soldier is dead after being accidentally shot in the head and killed by his wife in Olympiam the Thurston County Sheriff's Office says.

Lt. Chris Mealy of the sheriff's office told KOMO-TV the soldier was teaching his wife how to handle a handgun when he was shot early Sunday. Mealy told The Olympian that the semi-automatic handgun was the soldier's personal property.

Mealy says deputies were called at about 1:30 a.m. He says the soldier and his wife, both 25, had been out with friends before the shooting.

Mealy says after the couple got home, the soldier decided to teach his wife how to handle the handgun.

Mealy says the soldier's wife is not facing charges currently, but the sheriff's office is investigating the shooting. He says the soldier was scheduled to deployment soon. The couple's names were not released.

Post imported post

Comments: I would like to know if anyone teaches a class in Western WA how to become a competent pistol instructor.

Post imported post

Well, I have to say, it's Darwinism at work. If the guy couldn't be bothered to unload the pistol before handing it to his wife when she knew nothing about how to use the gun, then....there you go. But like always, I bet we don't have the whole story here.

EDIT:Teaching her how to handle a gun at 1:30 AM after going out partying? Either this man was stupid in an epic way, or the gal isn't telling the truth. Only time and investigation will tell.

Post imported post

Frankly, it doesn't pass the "sniff-test" to me. Next I will read the article, and see if my gut feeling is wrong.
    "Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." Benjamin Franklin

Post imported post

Either she killed him for one reason or another on purpose (maybe he was hittin on some chick when they went out>

OR

They had a few too many drinks, were sauced and decided NOW would be a good time to teach you about my pistol while its loaded and we are both under the influence.

I think the second scenario is more likely and as compmanio said...Darwinism is a bitch.

Post imported post

"had been out with friends before the shooting"

"Mealy says deputies were called at about 1:30 a.m"

Perhaps alcohol was involved?

Post imported post

compmanio365 wrote:
    Well, I have to say, it's Darwinism at work. If the guy couldn't be bothered to unload the pistol before handing it to his wife when she knew nothing about how to use the gun, then....there you go. But like always, I bet we don't have the whole story here.

EDIT:Teaching her how to handle a gun at 1:30 AM after going out partying? Either this man was stupid in an epic way, or the gal isn't telling the truth. Only time and investigation will tell.
    Its a lot of conjecture, but personally I think your right. Its by far the most likely scenario. More details would be nice, but as always the news organizations are only going to headline what gets people to read the rag.

Wonder if we will ever hear the rest of the story...

Post imported post

Im not going to say alot about this one, I work with this guys father. My prayers are with his family. From what I got although stupid, it was an accident.

Post imported post

tat2ed_guy wrote:
    Im not going to say alot about this one, I work with this guys father. My prayers are with his family. From what I got although stupid, it was an accident.
    Careful, you know there is no such thing, only negligence. Even if the story is taken at only face value and reading nothing into it, they were "training" with a loaded firearm in a non-firearm training environment.

For whatever reason, they forgot to unload the firearm and that is negligence, not an accident.

Call a spade a spade and hold people accountable for their actions, or non-actions as this case may be.

Post imported post

I say accident meaning that its not believed that she did it with intent....

Post imported post

Understood.

Thanks for the clarification.

I always wince whenever I hear people use the term "accident" when referring to firearms incidents. It absolves people of their responsibility to the incident because it implies that nothing could have been done to to keep it from happening.

Post imported post

other than the obvious, the next worst thing about this is it feeds the antis more to help ban the gun when it was a case of either negligence or stupidity. i feel bad for the families of the people involved, but safety is a key factor in survival, apparently this fact was overlooked.
    When the **** hits the fan, ask yourself: What Would Bugly Do?

Post imported post

FMCDH wrote
    Careful, you know there is no such thing, only negligence.
    What if you sit down to clean your pistol and, as you're clearing it, a big picture frame falls off the wall and smacks you upside the head and you discharge the weapon? Could that be an accident? :?

Post imported post

Lew wrote:
    FMCDH wrote
    What if you sit down to clean your pistol and, as you're clearing it, a big picture frame falls off the wall and smacks you upside the head and you discharge the weapon? Could that be an accident? :?
    I would think not. Why would you clean a loaded firearm?

Post imported post

tat2ed_guy wrote:
    Lew wrote:
    FMCDH wrote
    You know, like your carry/bedside piece or whatever.

Opt-Out Members
    Kitsap & Whatcom Counties, Washington, USA

Post imported post

tLew wrote:
    tat2ed_guy wrote:
    Lew wrote:
    FMCDH wrote
    Your finger being on the trigger of a loaded gun with no intention to fire it is negligent, whether or not the picture frame fell and "made you" pull it.

Post imported post

Lew wrote:
    tat2ed_guy wrote:
    Let's restate that a bit, then, so you will understand.

Why would you ever clean any firearm without first making sure it is completely unloaded?

Failure to clear the firearm first is negligence, not accident. Discharge of a firearm as it is being cleaned is never an accident, it's always somebody being sloppy with their basic firearms safety procedures.

Post imported post

Lew wrote:
    FMCDH wrote
    Picture falling from the wall cannot make gun go bang if your booger hook is not on the bang stick. So yes, this would still be negligence.

-adamsesq

Post imported post

This incident is an example of a spectacular failure of all four rules.

Post imported post

This is tragic but definitely something people can learn from.

Post imported post

John Hardin wrote:
    Lew wrote:
    tat2ed_guy wrote:
    Let's restate that a bit, then, so you will understand.

Why would you ever clean any firearm without first making sure it is completely unloaded?

Failure to clear the firearm first is negligence, not accident. Discharge of a firearm as it is being cleaned is never an accident, it's always somebody being sloppy with their basic firearms safety procedures.
    Did you not read what I said? As you're clearing it. "Clearing it" is secret codeword for "making sure it is completely unloaded." So say you sit down, drop the mag, are about to pull back the slide and...

Picture falling from the wall cannot make gun go bang if your booger hook is not on the bang stick. So yes, this would still be negligence. -adamsesq
    Let's say you're following the rules but when you get hit in the head (by a huge friggen guy! er...frame) you crumple to the ground, falling on your gun, and your booger hook is forced onto the boom switch.

Look, I'm not saying it's remotely possible, I just wanted to know if the opinion was, literally, there is NO such this as an accident. The scenario itself doesn't really matter.

Post imported post

Lew wrote:
    Look, I'm not saying it's remotely possible, I just wanted to know if the opinion was, literally, there is NO such this as an accident. The scenario itself doesn't really matter.

On paper you creat a lot of scenarios that matter or don't really matter. Whether you can come up with some scenario that has no basis in real life for a true accident really doesn't matter because the facts given here do not support an accident, no matter how tragic, they support negligence.

Let me give you something to make you happy: If you follow the basic safety rules of gun handling there is 99.99% no chance of an "accident." If you really want to spend your time trying to create that .01% scenario have at it.

-adamsesq