• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

OT: Soldier accidentally killed while while teaching wife pistol handling skills

Lew

imported post

John Hardin wrote:
Lew wrote:
tat2ed_guy wrote:
I would think not. Why would you clean a loaded firearm?
You know, like your carry/bedside piece or whatever.
Let's restate that a bit, then, so you will understand.

Why would you ever clean any firearm without first making sure it is completely unloaded?

Failure to clear the firearm first is negligence, not accident. Discharge of a firearm as it is being cleaned is never an accident, it's always somebody being sloppy with their basic firearms safety procedures.
Did you not read what I said? As you're clearing it. "Clearing it" is secret codeword for "making sure it is completely unloaded." So say you sit down, drop the mag, are about to pull back the slide and...

Picture falling from the wall cannot make gun go bang if your booger hook is not on the bang stick. So yes, this would still be negligence. -adamsesq
Let's say you're following the rules but when you get hit in the head (by a huge friggen guy! er...frame) you crumple to the ground, falling on your gun, and your booger hook is forced onto the boom switch.

Look, I'm not saying it's remotely possible, I just wanted to know if the opinion was, literally, there is NO such this as an accident. The scenario itself doesn't really matter.

adamsesq

imported post

Lew wrote:
Look, I'm not saying it's remotely possible, I just wanted to know if the opinion was, literally, there is NO such this as an accident. The scenario itself doesn't really matter.

On paper you creat a lot of scenarios that matter or don't really matter. Whether you can come up with some scenario that has no basis in real life for a true accident really doesn't matter because the facts given here do not support an accident, no matter how tragic, they support negligence.

Let me give you something to make you happy: If you follow the basic safety rules of gun handling there is 99.99% no chance of an "accident." If you really want to spend your time trying to create that .01% scenario have at it.

-adamsesq