• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Carry In Church

GLOCKMAN40

imported post

After the recent church shootings , and school shootings and the shootings that took place in NEW YORK, it is not safe to go anywhere anymore, now I'm not an anti-God type of guy, believe me i do believe in GOD but when your sitting in your church and some crazed gunmen comes in for what ever reason and starts to shoot people in the church i would like to have a fighting chance at stopping him and the way i see it , it can only be done by force,and that force is with my own weapon, i have had some training and continueto train with it , that is the only way i can effectively protect my family and or members of the church.So tell me what you all think about carrying in church ?

Anderson IN

imported post

I carry each and every Sunday and studywith permission of the Elders/Preacher!

If a thug will rob a gas station for $50 what would they do for $3000+ thinking that no one was armed and mostly old people! :what:

GLOCKMAN40

imported post

Anderson, IN wrote:

If a thug will rob a gas station for $50 what would they do for $3000+ thinking that no one was armed and mostly old people! :what:

Iagree but the law keeps people like you and I from carrying in the church, and permission from your Paster, Elders, or your preacher is notclearancefor you to carry in church, you and the church are breaking the law.However you can carry in church as long as there is no school, preschool, or day care of any kind on the grounds of the church.

IC 35-47-9-1
Exemptions from chapter
Sec. 1. This chapter does not apply to the following:
(1) A:
(A) federal;
(B) state; or
(C) local;
law enforcement officer.
(2) A person who has been employed or authorized by:
(A) a school; or
(B) another person who owns or operates property being used by a school for a school function;
to act as a security guard, perform or participate in a school function, or participate in any other activity authorized by a school.
(3) A person who:
(A) may legally possess a firearm; and
(B) possesses the firearm in a motor vehicle that is being operated by the person to transport another person to or from a school or a school function.
As added by P.L.140-1994, SEC.11.

IC 35-47-9-2
Possession of firearms on school property, at school function, or on school bus; felony
Sec. 2. A person who possesses a firearm:
(1) in or on school property;
(2) in or on property that is being used by a school for a school function; or
(3) on a school bus;
commits a Class D felony.

Anderson IN

imported post

The law DOES NOT keep you from carrying in Church.:banghead: We do not have any type of school associated with our congregation.

It's legal! Thank you.:celebrate

GetA2J

imported post

GLOCKMAN40 wrote:
Anderson, IN wrote:

Iagree but the law keeps people like you and I from carrying in the church, and permission from your Paster, Elders, or your preacher is notclearancefor you to carry in church, you and the church are breaking the law.However you can carry in church as long as there is no school, preschool, or day care of any kind on the grounds of the church.

IC 35-47-9-1
Exemptions from chapter
Sec. 1. This chapter does not apply to the following:
(1) A:
(A) federal;
(B) state; or
(C) local;
law enforcement officer.
(A) a school; or
(B) another person who owns or operates property being used by a school for a school function;
to act as a security guard, perform or participate in a school function, or participate in any other activity authorized by a school.
(3) A person who:
(A) may legally possess a firearm; and
(B) possesses the firearm in a motor vehicle that is being operated by the person to transport another person to or from a school or a school function.

IC 35-47-9-2
Possession of firearms on school property, at school function, or on school bus; felony
Sec. 2. A person who possesses a firearm:
(1) in or on school property;
(2) in or on property that is being used by a school for a school function; or
(3) on a school bus;
commits a Class D felony.

Glockman, A simple resolution is to ask the pastor to allow you to assemble a security force who would have the responsibility to check the lot during church meetings and lock and secure the building and grounds after each service. As an appointed security officer for your church you are then legal to carry in your church even though you have a school or preschool associated with the church.

GLOCKMAN40

imported post

GLOCKMAN40 wrote:
After the recent church shootings , and school shootings and the shootings that took place in NEW YORK, it is not safe to go anywhere anymore, now I'm not an anti-God type of guy, believe me i do believe in GOD but when your sitting in your church and some crazed gunmen comes in for what ever reason and starts to shoot people in the church i would like to have a fighting chance at stopping him and the way i see it , it can only be done by force,and that force is with my own weapon, i have had some training and continueto train with it , that is the only way i can effectively protect my family and or members of the church.So tell me what you all think about carrying in church ?
Well here we go again with the church killings , i think we need to all carry in church just to be safe and to protect those who come to whorship, you would think the church would be the safest place to be but NOT!!!

khicks

imported post

i do not know about Indiana. but here in Michigan, we are not allowed to defend property, the thugs can take the money and run, so long as no one tries to harm a parishioner

rattman

imported post

(A) a school; or

So if I am authorized by the preacher, elder’s, board, of the church (with a preschool) then I am exempt form the law correct?

(This is why I’m thinking of going to law school!)

ATM

Campaign Veteran
imported post

rattman wrote:
So if I am authorized by the preacher, elder’s, board, of the church (with a preschool) then I am exempt form the law correct?

Correct.

Might be a good idea to get it in writing.

M

McX

imported post

i i wish, but i'm already 'gonaded', the rules here; private school attached to Church, and Minister, while sympathetic to carry, doesn't want to get caught in the middle of it. plus the added bonus of to me of what non-ocer in the congregation would meet me at the door, or draw on me, or call on me for that matter. God carries CC, Jesus goes OC, and nothing happens in Church then, get my drift.

PT111

imported post

kwikrnu wrote:

As I looked over the list of shootings on that page it just reinforced my belief that all the possible scenarios that people bring up on forums like this and reasons for carrying a gun, knife or whatever actually only account for about 1% of the times you will actually need one. Everyone jumps on the Luddy's restaurantstory to make their case for carrying in a restaurant that sells alcohol but in actuality the real danger is walking from and to your car rather than in the restaurant. In Wal-Mart everyone is looking around the corner for someone with a gun about to shoot everyone in sight but the real danger is thecarjacker waiting for you to get back to your car.

It is the same way with a church. How many of these cases involved a madman running into the service wanting to rob or kill the congregation vs. the ones killed during times that had absolutely nothing to do with the church services. At the company I used to work with there was a sign on the gate that you could read when you were leaving. It said, "You are entering the most dangerousplace in the world, a public highway". The small things are what is going to get most of us, the big ones only happen to a few.

M

McX

imported post

i yearn for this; with my gun at my side, i know nothing, big or little, nothing at all, for damn sure, will happen within my 20 foot or so radius while i'm there. i don't calculate on remote possibilities, every moment, everywhere, every day is a possibility. the 20 foot radius is what i get, and that's what i take.

Packer fan

imported post

PT111 wrote:
kwikrnu wrote:

As I looked over the list of shootings on that page it just reinforced my belief that all the possible scenarios that people bring up on forums like this and reasons for carrying a gun, knife or whatever actually only account for about 1% of the times you will actually need one. Everyone jumps on the Luddy's restaurantstory to make their case for carrying in a restaurant that sells alcohol but in actuality the real danger is walking from and to your car rather than in the restaurant. In Wal-Mart everyone is looking around the corner for someone with a gun about to shoot everyone in sight but the real danger is thecarjacker waiting for you to get back to your car.

It is the same way with a church. How many of these cases involved a madman running into the service wanting to rob or kill the congregation vs. the ones killed during times that had absolutely nothing to do with the church services. At the company I used to work with there was a sign on the gate that you could read when you were leaving. It said, "You are entering the most dangerousplace in the world, a public highway". The small things are what is going to get most of us, the big ones only happen to a few.

You are right the chances of a church getting hit are small but wouldn't that make it a small thing? Hmmm. The fact that more people get killed on the highways wouldn't that make it a big thing? hmmm. A bullet isn't that a small thing too. Hmmm. I'm just joking.

Nobody said you had to carry in a church but don't you feel safer knowing that someone else maybe?

I agreeI don't know when or where a strong man will break into my house (or church) but I would like to be prepared just in case.
Luke 11:21-23 It was true back then it is true today.

M

McX

imported post

went to Church today. i never pass up an opportunity to raz my Minister. he's open carry sympathetic, and marginaly pro-gun. he knows the minute the school zone laws are struck down, i'll be looking over our state laws on Church carry, to see if i can carry in Church. i saw him and the assistant Minister talking when i got there, so i dropped over and asked: which pews are reserved for gun owners? to which the assistant Minister replied: Gun owners? they can sit anywhere they want. :lol:it's nice to know that my rights are respected by the Clergy at my Church, and that i'm not looked down on, nor subject to criticism, or isolation due to my pro-gun views.