Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Any advice for a 1st timer????

Campaign Veteran

Post imported post

Hi,

A little bit about me. I'm 35 and have lived in Tidewater all my life. I have been around guns all my life too. I am well versed on gun safety.

I have CC'ed for about 5 years, but have never OC'ed before. Is there any advise you can give me for my 1st time?

I know it may sound like a silly question, butany advise would be greatly appreciated.

Post imported post

Know the law.

Act confidently and be committed to your rights. If you are confronted, stand your ground or immediately cease and desist commerce (if engaged) with the offending proprietor.

You could also join this Wednesday's Open Carry supper at Primo's... there's a thread somewhere.
    The quiet war has begun, with silent weapons
    And the newest slavery is to keep the people poor, and stupid
    Novos ordo seclorum ~ Mustaine

Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

Post imported post

Know the laws. Go with someone who has done it before if at all possible. Never touch the gun. Pretend like you dont know that anyone can see it or is looking at it. Just do your thing and forget that you have it on. Only stay aware of anyone too close to you....you never know if someone may be eyeing it to grab it. If they grab it...elbow them in the throat!

Post imported post

+1 to attending OC dinners. Its a great opportunity to dip your toe into the OC waters. If you choose to dive in, obtain a good retention holster and prepare yourself for some stares. Don't worry, remember you aren't guilty of anything so no need to act or feel like it.

Post imported post

ยง 18.2-287.4. Carrying loaded firearms in public areas prohibited; penalty.

It shall be unlawful for any person to carry a loaded (a) semi-automatic center-fire rifle or pistol that expels single or multiple projectiles by action of an explosion of a combustible material and is equipped at the time of the offense with a magazine that will hold more than 20 rounds of ammunition or designed by the manufacturer to accommodate a silencer or equipped with a folding stock or (b) shotgun with a magazine that will hold more than seven rounds of the longest ammunition for which it is chambered on or about his person on any public street, road, alley, sidewalk, public right-of-way, or in any public park or any other place of whatever nature that is open to the public in the Cities of Alexandria, Chesapeake, Fairfax, Falls Church, Newport News, Norfolk, Richmond, or Virginia Beach or in the Counties of Arlington, Fairfax, Henrico, Loudoun, or Prince William. (emphasis added)

The provisions of this section shall not apply to law-enforcement officers, licensed security guards, military personnel in the performance of their lawful duties, or any person having a valid concealed handgun permit or to any person actually engaged in lawful hunting or lawful recreational shooting activities at an established shooting range or shooting contest. Any person violating the provisions of this section shall be guilty of a Class 1 misdemeanor.

Post imported post

Dude, that's only for shotguns. You can't isolate one part of the statute and apply it to something else altogether.

Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

www.ProactiveShooters.com, Richmond, Va., , USA

Post imported post

First time?

Ahh yes, my first time. I remember it well. She was beautiful. At first touch, she had a cold, almost non-descript feel about her. After a moment, she warmed to my touch. The feeling was just so right. The way that she felt in my hands time after time was more than mere words could describe.....

Glock 19, I'll never forget you......

James Reynolds

NRA Certified Firearms Instructor - Pistol, Shotgun, Home Firearms Safety, Refuse To Be A Victim
    Concealed Firearms Instructor for Virginia, Florida & Utah permits.
    NRA Certified Chief Range Safety Officer
    Sabre Red Pepper Spray Instructor
    Glock Certified Armorer
    Instructor Bio - http://proactiveshooters.com/about-us/

Post imported post

where do you see only for shotguns? may I have the wrong info

Post imported post

SEABEE-94 wrote:
    It doesn't apply only to shotguns...it applies only to shotguns with 7+ round capacity and even then only in certain cities and even then only to people w/out a CHP.

Would it make you feel better to see pictures of people doing it? Even better, maybe with cops in them? I'm sure they're out there and if not I'll be in Suffolk this weekend and I'm sure I could make it happen (buddy is a Newport News cop and we're meeting up Sat night...)

You're not reading the law very well...you can open carry in most situations that you can conceal. I'm not a lawyer but I have open carried in most every Hampton Roads city and in many SW VA cities w/out trouble.

Post imported post

EDIT: Hokie beat me to it.

Post imported post

SEABEE-94 wrote:
    It's essentially the entirety of the section that you didn't add emphasis.

SaltH20Hokie covered it, just more specifically than I initially did.

Post imported post

thanks guys

Campaign Veteran

Post imported post

Thanks for the great advice. I've been re-reading the laws for a few weeks now. I also printed out the pamphlet on the site to read over and take with me.

Post imported post

wylde007 wrote:
    Know the law.

Act confidently and be committed to your rights. If you are confronted, stand your ground or immediately cease and desist commerce (if engaged) with the offending proprietor.

You could also join this Wednesday's Open Carry supper at Primo's... there's a thread somewhere.
    Great points - but the dining out is on Thursday the 16th (7:00 pm) at Primo's in the little shopping center on the corner of Princess Anne and Baxter Road in Virginia Beach. Everyone's welcome, carry is optional....

Post imported post

If ytou are used to carrying concealed, carrying OC will be a breeze. You already know to keep your hands from fiddling with it. The only difference is you will not have to be concerned that it might not be covered and folks might see it.

Go where you have CC'd before, and look to see if there are any :Xor :shockr , but especially look for s. Post an AAR. Pictures would be OK, too.

stay safe.

skidmark
    "He'll regret it to his dying day....if ever he lives that long."----The Quiet Man

Because stupidity isn't a race, and everybody can win.

"No matter how much contempt you have for the media in all this, you don't have enough"
    ----Allahpundit

Campaign Veteran

Post imported post

skidmark wrote:
    If ytou are used to carrying concealed, carrying OC will be a breeze. You already know to keep your hands from fiddling with it. The only difference is you will not have to be concerned that it might not be covered and folks might see it.

Go where you have CC'd before, and look to see if there are any :Xor :shockr , but especially look for s. Post an AAR. Pictures would be OK, too.

stay safe.

skidmark
    Thanks for the advise, but what is an AAR?

Post imported post

Argus Eyed wrote:
    After-Action Report.

Post imported post

After Action Report... I remember my first time I was so much more comfortable OCing then CCing just because I didn't have to copnstantly worry if my little buddy was covered or not. Good luck on your first time.

Semper Fi

Campaign Veteran

Post imported post

WOW, everyone is so nice here, I think I'm going to like posting on this forum.

Post imported post

Argus Eyed wrote:
    You'll get past that.
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants." - Thomas Jefferson

Post imported post

The cited law is essentially VA's Urban Area Assault Weapons Ban. The key points are semi-automatic, 20 rounds, and 7 rounds. I had seen this earlier but had not reaserched it properly. This law appears to be a sop to the gun control side, to reduce the quantity of legal ammo in the gun. I was concerned at first about OC'ing as I live in the City of Richmond, but wheel guns don't hold twenty.
    Remember Peter Nap and Skidmark. Do them proud. Be active. Be well informed. ALL rights matter.

"An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when you may have to back up your acts with your life."

--Robert A. Heinlein

Hey NSA! *&$# you. Record this--- MOLON LABE!

Post imported post

VAopencarry wrote:
    Argus Eyed wrote:
    You'll get past that.
    Remember Peter Nap and Skidmark. Do them proud. Be active. Be well informed. ALL rights matter.

"An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when you may have to back up your acts with your life."

--Robert A. Heinlein

Hey NSA! *&$# you. Record this--- MOLON LABE!

Post imported post

Sorry, I didn't even address the original post. My advice: Just do it. Everyone has covered the do's and don't's but the biggest thing that'll make you comfortable is just doing it a few times. I'm firmly convinced that 99% of the world doesn't even notice a stainless steel .45 on my hip. (Which is unfortunate on a number of levels.)

Post imported post

SaltH2OHokie wrote:
    Sorry, I didn't even address the original post. My advice: Just do it. Everyone has covered the do's and don't's but the biggest thing that'll make you comfortable is just doing it a few times. I'm firmly convinced that 99% of the world doesn't even notice a stainless steel .45 on my hip. (Which is unfortunate on a number of levels.)

LOL they do notice however if your a tall, svelte (happy grapeshot, I used a positive word!) female. And you wear a big gun. Then EVERYONE notices. It's funny when they notice me and mine but not my male companions. But Hokie is correct, just do it. Going to a dinner first, or going somewhere with someone who is comfortable, or going somewhere you know is Pro 2A makes it much easier. Good luck!

Post imported post

DrMark wrote:
    Argus Eyed wrote:
    After-Action Report.

or an EBR carried by a pirate! An AAR-15!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast