• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Any advice for a 1st timer????

riverrat10k

imported post

The cited law is essentially VA's Urban Area Assault Weapons Ban. The key points are semi-automatic, 20 rounds, and 7 rounds. I had seen this earlier but had not reaserched it properly. This law appears to be a sop to the gun control side, to reduce the quantity of legal ammo in the gun. I was concerned at first about OC'ing as I live in the City of Richmond, but wheel guns don't hold twenty.;)

SaltH2OHokie

imported post

Sorry, I didn't even address the original post. My advice: Just do it. Everyone has covered the do's and don't's but the biggest thing that'll make you comfortable is just doing it a few times. I'm firmly convinced that 99% of the world doesn't even notice a stainless steel .45 on my hip. (Which is unfortunate on a number of levels.)

ClumsyCandy

imported post

SaltH2OHokie wrote:
Sorry, I didn't even address the original post. My advice: Just do it. Everyone has covered the do's and don't's but the biggest thing that'll make you comfortable is just doing it a few times. I'm firmly convinced that 99% of the world doesn't even notice a stainless steel .45 on my hip. (Which is unfortunate on a number of levels.)

LOL they do notice however if your a tall, svelte (happy grapeshot, I used a positive word!) female. And you wear a big gun. Then EVERYONE notices. It's funny when they notice me and mine but not my male companions. But Hokie is correct, just do it. Going to a dinner first, or going somewhere with someone who is comfortable, or going somewhere you know is Pro 2A makes it much easier. Good luck!

wylde007

imported post

Bubba Ron wrote:
Great points - but the dining out is on Thursday the 16th (7:00 pm) at Primo's in the little shopping center on the corner of Princess Anne and Baxter Road in Virginia Beach. Everyone's welcome, carry is optional....
Dang. You did say the 16th. Which I should know is a Thursday because the 15th is Wednesday and I'm going to be in Baltimore at the Black Label Society/7dust show.

Derp.

You'll get past that.
Zing.

Reverend73

Founder's Club Member
imported post

wylde007 wrote:
SEABEE-94 wrote:
where do you see only for shotguns? may I have the wrong info
It's essentially the entirety of the section that you didn't add emphasis.

SaltH20Hokie covered it, just more specifically than I initially did.

Actually it specifies that if you live in the cities mentionedand do nothave a CHP, you cannot OC a pistol or riflethat has a magazine in it that holds more than 20 rounds, a shotgun or rifle with a folding stock, a rifle or pistol that is capable of having a suppressor installed (ie threaded barrel) or a shotgun that is capable of holding more than seven rounds of the longest ammo it is chambered for.

Don Barnett

imported post

Dress nice, act normal, walk like you don't even have it on, smile and be polite, don't try to bring people's attention to it, be your self. If someone asks me if I am LEO, I just say: "No" in a very non emotional way thatindicates that I don't think it is necessary to carry the conversation any further.

Argus Eyed

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Well, everything when great for my first time.

I went to the Tea Party at the VB Town Center. I was a little nervous at first, but then I ran into a couple of guy from the site and it made me feel a lot better and the nerves went away.

I met a lot of good people there today, and I look forward to meeting more people at the dinner tomorrow night.

P.S. I went to Harris Teeter after to pick up a few things before I went home. Everyone was very nice, the manager even said hello and asked how my day was, it seemed as if no even noticed that I was OC'ing.

Thanks for everyone for the advise, it really helped a lot. :)