• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Any advice for a 1st timer????

Argus Eyed

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Hi,

A little bit about me. I'm 35 and have lived in Tidewater all my life. I have been around guns all my life too. I am well versed on gun safety.

I have CC'ed for about 5 years, but have never OC'ed before. Is there any advise you can give me for my 1st time?

I know it may sound like a silly question, butany advise would be greatly appreciated.

wylde007

imported post

Know the law.

Act confidently and be committed to your rights. If you are confronted, stand your ground or immediately cease and desist commerce (if engaged) with the offending proprietor.

You could also join this Wednesday's Open Carry supper at Primo's... there's a thread somewhere.

richarcm

imported post

Know the laws. Go with someone who has done it before if at all possible. Never touch the gun. Pretend like you dont know that anyone can see it or is looking at it. Just do your thing and forget that you have it on. Only stay aware of anyone too close to you....you never know if someone may be eyeing it to grab it. If they grab it...elbow them in the throat! :)

essayons

imported post

+1 to attending OC dinners. Its a great opportunity to dip your toe into the OC waters. If you choose to dive in, obtain a good retention holster and prepare yourself for some stares. Don't worry, remember you aren't guilty of anything so no need to act or feel like it.

SEABEE-94

imported post

§ 18.2-287.4. Carrying loaded firearms in public areas prohibited; penalty.

It shall be unlawful for any person to carry a loaded (a) semi-automatic center-fire rifle or pistol that expels single or multiple projectiles by action of an explosion of a combustible material and is equipped at the time of the offense with a magazine that will hold more than 20 rounds of ammunition or designed by the manufacturer to accommodate a silencer or equipped with a folding stock or (b) shotgun with a magazine that will hold more than seven rounds of the longest ammunition for which it is chambered on or about his person on any public street, road, alley, sidewalk, public right-of-way, or in any public park or any other place of whatever nature that is open to the public in the Cities of Alexandria, Chesapeake, Fairfax, Falls Church, Newport News, Norfolk, Richmond, or Virginia Beach or in the Counties of Arlington, Fairfax, Henrico, Loudoun, or Prince William. (emphasis added)

The provisions of this section shall not apply to law-enforcement officers, licensed security guards, military personnel in the performance of their lawful duties, or any person having a valid concealed handgun permit or to any person actually engaged in lawful hunting or lawful recreational shooting activities at an established shooting range or shooting contest. Any person violating the provisions of this section shall be guilty of a Class 1 misdemeanor.

ProShooter

www.ProactiveShooters.com, Richmond, Va., , USA
imported post

First time?

Ahh yes, my first time. I remember it well. She was beautiful. At first touch, she had a cold, almost non-descript feel about her. After a moment, she warmed to my touch. The feeling was just so right. The way that she felt in my hands time after time was more than mere words could describe.....

Glock 19, I'll never forget you......

:)

SaltH2OHokie

imported post

SEABEE-94 wrote:
where do you see only for shotguns? may I have the wrong info
It doesn't apply only to shotguns...it applies only to shotguns with 7+ round capacity and even then only in certain cities and even then only to people w/out a CHP.

Would it make you feel better to see pictures of people doing it? Even better, maybe with cops in them? I'm sure they're out there and if not I'll be in Suffolk this weekend and I'm sure I could make it happen (buddy is a Newport News cop and we're meeting up Sat night...)

You're not reading the law very well...you can open carry in most situations that you can conceal. I'm not a lawyer but I have open carried in most every Hampton Roads city and in many SW VA cities w/out trouble.

wylde007

imported post

SEABEE-94 wrote:
where do you see only for shotguns? may I have the wrong info
It's essentially the entirety of the section that you didn't add emphasis.

SaltH20Hokie covered it, just more specifically than I initially did.

Bubba Ron

imported post

wylde007 wrote:
Know the law.

Act confidently and be committed to your rights. If you are confronted, stand your ground or immediately cease and desist commerce (if engaged) with the offending proprietor.

You could also join this Wednesday's Open Carry supper at Primo's... there's a thread somewhere.
Great points - but the dining out is on Thursday the 16th (7:00 pm) at Primo's in the little shopping center on the corner of Princess Anne and Baxter Road in Virginia Beach. Everyone's welcome, carry is optional....

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
imported post

If ytou are used to carrying concealed, carrying OC will be a breeze. You already know to keep your hands from fiddling with it. The only difference is you will not have to be concerned that it might not be covered and folks might see it.

Go where you have CC'd before, and look to see if there are any :Xor :shock:eek:r :cuss:, but especially look for :lol:s. Post an AAR. Pictures would be OK, too.

stay safe.

skidmark

Argus Eyed

Campaign Veteran
imported post

skidmark wrote:
If ytou are used to carrying concealed, carrying OC will be a breeze. You already know to keep your hands from fiddling with it. The only difference is you will not have to be concerned that it might not be covered and folks might see it.

Go where you have CC'd before, and look to see if there are any :Xor :shock:eek:r :cuss:, but especially look for :lol:s. Post an AAR. Pictures would be OK, too.

stay safe.

skidmark
Thanks for the advise, but what is an AAR?

wheelerXD

imported post

After Action Report... I remember my first time I was so much more comfortable OCing then CCing just because I didn't have to copnstantly worry if my little buddy was covered or not. Good luck on your first time.

Semper Fi