• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Report From Fife

FMCDH

imported post

deanf wrote:
so according to Oprah and societyi'm allowed to use words like colored, negro, nigga, etc

Perception is reality. By using racial slurs on this board (or off), you only perpetuate the myth that all gun owners, and particularly fringe gun owners like OCers, are racists and are to be marginalized.
Is "differently tinted" allowed?

:quirky

Prophet

imported post

Seriously...some of you guys need take off the jackboots every once in a while and chill out.

I couldn't help but laughing as I read the OP. That's funny stuff. And guess what, for those of you who are on your "mission" 24/7 to educate the masses about gun rights and OC and all that is good and pure in the world, bully for you, but don't hate on Polski and FMCDH because they aren't gun missionaries.

Frankly deanF, you seem a little too high strung and I question whether you should be allowed to have a gun in the first place. Makes the rest of us look like high strung jerks with are ass cheeks so clenched that you couldn't shit a greased bb.

And compmanio365, passive aggressive is so left coast liberal. You and dean must be absolutely dreadful at parties.

As for the term colored; I just usually use more descriptive words like black white brown asian latino indian (the american kind) etc. Did I miss the memo that states everyone here is going to get their panties in a bunch by using a non-PC term like colored or black? I'm sorry, i thought this was OCDO not ACLU.

PolskiG

imported post

Phssthpok wrote:
Machoduck wrote:
Oh come on! "Colored" a racial slur? Get off your high horse.

MD

+1

Reminds me of the time I caught some flak at work for referring to some individuals as 'Asian'. WTF? :uhoh:

I'm no back woods hick...I grew up in the era of post-Vietnam war refugees from SE ASIA flooding into the NW, but some times it's hard to tell a Korean, from a Vietnamese, from a Japanese, from a Chinese, from a Laotian, from a Cambodian....especially when you only catch a brief glimpse. 'Asian' is a completely accurate descriptive for regionally distinctive features, just as
colored' is when you don't know if they are Eritrean, Kenyan, Nigerian, Somalian, or aboriginal Australian.:?

+1, true story. "Some think allblackslook alike, we call those people, the Police"--(Dave Chappelle/2005)

just_a_car

imported post

Machoduck wrote:
Oh come on! "Colored" a racial slur? Get off your high horse.

MD
+1.

There's a reason the "C" in NAACP still stands for "Colored"... if it was a racial slur, do you think they'd use it?

And to keep on-topic, I don't think it's the best way to go about stuff like that, but I don't disagree with what you said/did, due to the fact the gentleman was already agitated. I know that some have said they'd use these kinds of lines because they just don't want to deal with answering a bunch of questions at the time (whether they were just mentally tired at the time or they normally don't want to deal with it).

But, I think it does also hurt the situation and the OC cause in general, due to the fact that even if the gentleman didn't get it through his skull, what you said to him would be heard by others and they, in turn, would be educated on the law and the truth.

So, overall, I'm kinda neutral on this post. Not great, not terrible... *shrug*

compmanio365

imported post

Prophet wrote:
Seriously...some of you guys need take off the jackboots every once in a while and chill out.

I couldn't help but laughing as I read the OP. That's funny stuff. And guess what, for those of you who are on your "mission" 24/7 to educate the masses about gun rights and OC and all that is good and pure in the world, bully for you, but don't hate on Polski and FMCDH because they aren't gun missionaries.

Frankly deanF, you seem a little too high strung and I question whether you should be allowed to have a gun in the first place. Makes the rest of us look like high strung jerks with are ass cheeks so clenched that you couldn't @#$% a greased bb.

And compmanio365, passive aggressive is so left coast liberal. You and dean must be absolutely dreadful at parties.

As for the term colored; I just usually use more descriptive words like black white brown asian latino indian (the american kind) etc. Did I miss the memo that states everyone here is going to get their panties in a bunch by using a non-PC term like colored or black? I'm sorry, i thought this was OCDO not ACLU.
I dunno what the deal is with this "colored" debate. I agree this is not the PC club, and this is the last place I'd expect or care for PC bull.

I love your crap you just pulled out of thin air. Care to explain your unnecessarily antagonistic comments? And how one should justify OCing and being an asshole at the same time? How can you refute that doing so makes not just the OP, but all of us as a whole look bad to the non OCing populace at large?

I think I speak for many OCers when I say that we wish you'd just keep it covered up if you are going to be an anti-social prick while OCing.

arentol

imported post

I think everyone who has posted in this thread should all get together for an OC lunch some weekend. Then we can all hash this out in person. That would be interesting.... :what:

We already have a place to meet, Wendy's in Fife. Now we just need a time and date...

Prophet

imported post

compmanio365 wrote:
I love your crap you just pulled out of thin air.  Care to explain your unnecessarily antagonistic comments?  And how one should justify OCing and being an @#$% at the same time?  How can you refute that doing so makes not just the OP, but all of us as a whole look bad to the non OCing populace at large? 

I think I speak for many OCers when I say that we wish you'd just keep it covered up if you are going to be an anti-social prick while OCing.

Crap doesn't come out of thin air...it comes from most peoples ass and your mouth. How's that for antagonistic?

How do I justify being a @#$% while OC? Simple...the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed. That includes being a @#$%...whatever that is, though I don't choose to be a amusing as Polski. Furthermore, being a Pennsylvanian, the rights of the citizen to bear arms in defense of themselves and the state shall not be questioned. Ergo, I can act however I damn well please and you shouldn't infringe or question it. And Polski has the same right.

I don't know who pissed in your cornflakes bub, but you need to relax...you and DeanF are on the fastrack to heart attack central.

And by the by...what hubris you have to think you speak for ANY of the OC community that hasn't voiced an opinion here. I think i speak for the majority of people without sticks up their ass in inviting you to remove yours.

deanf

imported post

Furthermore, being a Pennsylvanian, the rights of the citizen to bear arms in defense of themselves and the state shall not be questioned. Ergo, I can act however I damn well please and you shouldn't infringe or question it.

Of course that is a restriction on the state, not private parties, and thus doesn't apply in this situation. Context man, context.

you and DeanF are on the fastrack to heart attack central.

Actually I just had my yearly physical. My blood work is all good. My 12-Lead was good, and my carotid wall age is lower than my chronological age, so again, out of thin air . . . .

cynicist

imported post

"Colored" a racial slur? Get off your high horse.
It's a word that hasn't been seriously used in a few generations, and when it's used arbitrarily with a negative connotation, it very well may be (just like the "mugger shot by Hispanic in Yakima" post a while back- followed by a false claim that it was just a newspaper title.)
It's not any more necessary that pointing out all those white people that give us weird looks when we OC.

Prophet

imported post

deanf wrote:
Furthermore, being a Pennsylvanian, the rights of the citizen to bear arms in defense of themselves and the state shall not be questioned. Ergo, I can act however I damn well please and you shouldn't infringe or question it.

Of course that is a restriction on the state, not private parties, and thus doesn't apply in this situation. Context man, context.

you and DeanF are on the fastrack to heart attack central.

Actually I just had my yearly physical. My blood work is all good. My 12-Lead was good, and my carotid wall age is lower than my chronological age, so again, out of thin air . . . .

Reggie Lewis was in good shape too...but the stress man...the stress. Just because you blood work is good doesn't mean you can go the way of Reggie Lewis, Jim Morrison, Hank Williams, Andy Gibb, Krissy Taylor, Josh Ryan Evans, Miklos Feher, Paul Kossoff, Marc Vivien Foe, John Glascock, Sergei Grinkov, Joe Kennedy, Timo Mukka, Chaswe Nsofwa, etc. The common link? All died of heart attacks before the age of 30. All famous with lots of stress. More than a few are Professional athletes. Maybe they couldn't take a joke...deep breathes deanf...in with the good vibes, out with the bad vibes.

tat2ed_guy

imported post

I dont get what the big deal is. He could have just thrown out the big "N" bomb. Although some dont like it, I took it as he was trying to not to be an A$$ about it. Just becausewe carry a gun doesnt mean that we have to be politically correct.

My answer to "are you a cop?"

"Nope, Im making up for short comings elsewhere." And with the man being an "American of darker pigment" would have made it even funnier with all the stereotypes of the manhood with them.

Sorry I get through life with laughter...either join me or get the hell out of the way, cause you arent going to ruin my day.

Dr. Fresh

imported post

Prophet wrote:
Frankly deanF, you seem a little too high strung and I question whether you should be allowed to have a gun in the first place.

Prophet wrote:
How do I justify being a @#$% while OC? Simple...the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed. That includes being a @#$%...whatever that is, though I don't choose to be a amusing as Polski. Furthermore, being a Pennsylvanian, the rights of the citizen to bear arms in defense of themselves and the state shall not be questioned. Ergo, I can act however I damn well please and you shouldn't infringe or question it. And Polski has the same right.

Oh the irony!

Charles Paul Lincoln

imported post

Come on, guys. This conversation is ridiculous. The OP was obviously trying to diffuse the situation and not get into the whole "exercising my legal right" discourse. Not everybody on this site wants to be part of the "OC movement." I openly carried before there was OpenCarry.org, and didn't feel the need to explain it. In fact few people ever asked. Sometimes you just want to eat your burger in peace and not be a spokesperson for OC. I didn't see the mandatory 24-7 spokesmanship requirement when I signed up for the forum.

As far as his statements, I don't find a "counter-terrorist" comment to be inflammatory, so it appears to me he was legally exercising both his 1st amendment and 2nd amendment rights.

On the subject of "politically correct speech" (which I am personally getting sick of because what is PC seems to change like the seasons). Unless using the word "colored" was accompanied by a tone of voice that implied disrespect, I have no reason to cast stones. Does anybody that has condemned the use of this word have the clairvoiance to know his tone of voice?

"American of darker pigment" makes assumptions of his nationality (without offense, tat2ed_guy). What if the man was of Kenyan or South African nationality? And that of course assumes he is a man, not transgendered, etc. Is it possible to be politically correct unless you refer to every person only as a "human" or how about a "member of the species Homo sapiens sapiens." I personally think that "human of melanistic epidermis" is de-personalized enough that it might be politically correct these days.

Now, when the human of melanistic epidermis asked why the OP had a gun, he could have just stood up beside his table and said . . .

"This is my pistol, this is my gun . . ."

(You all know the rest.)

Charles

Prophet

imported post

deanf wrote:
Reggie Lewis was in good shape too

You type that like I'm supposed to know who that is.

Reggie Lewis was a Boston Celtic who died on the court back in 1993. Kind of a big thing in the sports world.

Dr. Fresh, the irony was intended.

Charles Lincoln, you're right..this conversation is ridiculous...thats the point

:celebrate:celebrate:celebrate

FunkTrooper

imported post

cynicist wrote:
"Colored" a racial slur? Get off your high horse.
It's a word that hasn't been seriously used in a few generations, and when it's used arbitrarily with a negative connotation, it very well may be (just like the "mugger shot by Hispanic in Yakima" post a while back- followed by a false claim that it was just a newspaper title.)
It's not any more necessary that pointing out all those white people that give us weird looks when we OC.
If it's good enough for colleges it's good enough for me. In an email from WSU I was informed of their continuous struggle to hire "people of color" or colored people. I just hate that the media makes race important.

If people judge us by Polski's actions than they're ignorant people whose opinion I could care less about.