• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Carry question - Ohio to Tennessee

Tennessean In Exile

imported post

Hello everyone. I have a question that I cannot find a good answer for from searches, A.G. opinions, or any other source.

I have a Ohio concealed weapon permit. I understand that Tennessee issues handgun permits instead of concealed weapon permits. Tennessee and Ohio recognise the legal validity of each other's weapon carry permits.

My question is: since my permit is for carrying a weapon concealed, does that mean in Tennessee my permit becomes a general open carry / concealed carry permit since one must follow the local rules governing firearms? Or is my permit only recognized for concealing a firearm? I open carry here in Ohio, plan to do so in Tennessee if I am allowed, and want to be certain of this before I do so.

The reason why I ask is that Tennessee law seems to allow specifically for my permit to become the equivalent of a Tennessee general open or concealed permit once I am over the border. The code that I am seeing is this passage:

---
39-17-1351(r)

A facially valid handgun permit, firearms permit, weapons permit or license issued by another state shall be valid in this state according to its terms and shall be treated as if it is a handgun permit issued by this state; provided, however, the provisions of this subsection (r) shall not be construed to authorize the holder of any out-of-state permit or license to carry, in this state, any firearm or weapon other than a handgun.
---

...which I found listed and linked from here: http://www.tngunowners.com/forums/h...-reference-material-some-basic-questions.html

I will be going home to Tennessee to visit my family on Friday, and would be grateful for any assistance that the folk here can offer. Even just a link to a legal opinion that I might have missed would be welcome.

On a related note, any anecdotes concerning open carry in Knoxville, Jefferson City, Morristown, Sevierville, or Pigeon Forge that you want to share, positive or negative, are welcome; I have not been home in a few years and things might have changed around there.

WCrawford

imported post

You should be good to go.

Tennessee makes no distinction between open or concealed carry in any law that I've seen. So carry as you will in Tennessee, but if asked, you are required to show your permit to LE.