• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Corporate (non)security

Jim675

Founder's Club Member
imported post

I work at a large company. A fired employee showed up last Friday at a different location (same state) with a gun.

So today, they put these great signs up on the INNER doors.
Although they missed the GLASS doors 10 feet away.

Armed threat. No security. No weapons per the employment contract.

But we have our 3 day-delayed signs up now.

We have a lot of work to do.

XD-GEM

Campaign Veteran
imported post

My workplace also has "security doors" which require a Honeywell card to open. The doors are standard glass.

Our management believes that we can take comfort in knowing that we can stand behind the glass with our thumbs in our ears, wiggling our fingers and shouting, "Nanny, nanny, boo-boo! You can't shoot me!"

Jim675

Founder's Club Member
imported post

If crazed-ex-employee dispatches me I hereby bequeath to the membership of OCDO the rights to collect wrongful death damages due to the loss of my on-line wit.

Oh, never mind. No worries.

I'll simply add "Absolutely NO Homicidal Maniacs Allowed" to the sign on my door.

NightOwl

imported post

I'm surprised that your company doesn't have security. Having security on site usually reduces insurance payments and results in a net financial gain for the company.

I worked security in california once upon a time. It wasn't uncommon for corporations to bring us in as armed security when doing layoffs, though they'd usually just have an unarmed person on site (for the insurance) the rest of the time. You'd be surprised...or maybe you wouldn't...at the number of companies that just won't fix security issues when they're made aware of them. They just want the insurance break, not to actually resolve security problems.

Aran

Banned
imported post

I'm an unarmed security guard.

The company I guard (Not the one I work for, our client) is a government subcontractor, who if attacked and disabled would greatly harm the current war effort.

The CEO, the VPs, everyone at the top is pro-gun, all the standard "YAY RIGHT WING!" beliefs.

The reason there can't be any armed guards on the premises?

The motherfucking union.

I had a cheap, small, Uncle Mike's belt slide holster I was using to carry my walkie-talkie in the first week I was there (It was more secure/comfortable than those cheap little plastic clip holsters the radios come with) and had no less than four employee complaints because I was using a holster and it made them uncomfortable.

Even though they knew it was a walkie talkie, not a gun.

(The company I work for not only has armed guard positions, but has an entire wing of the company devoted to Act 235 training, the requirement for armed guards in PA. And they pay to put any employee through it that requests it. Need to get around to doing that...)

AWDstylez

Banned
imported post

Jim675 wrote:
I'll simply add "Absolutely NO Homicidal Maniacs Allowed" to the sign on my door.

That should work fine. Just at how all those "no guns allowed" signs have worked out at schools... wait a minute...

AWDstylez

Banned
imported post

Aran wrote:
I had a cheap, small, Uncle Mike's belt slide holster I was using to carry my walkie-talkie in the first week I was there (It was more secure/comfortable than those cheap little plastic clip holsters the radios come with) and had no less than four employee complaints because I was using a holster and it made them uncomfortable.

So let me get this straight. The employees felt uncomfortable because the SECURITY GUARD had a gun? :quirky

XD-GEM

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Jim675 wrote:
If crazed-ex-employee dispatches me I hereby bequeath to the membership of OCDO the rights to collect wrongful death damages due to the loss of my on-line wit.

Oh, never mind. No worries.

(slapping forehead) BRILLIANT! Why didn't I think of this?:D

Actually, we also have unarmed security guards on site. I'm told that they will make excellent witnesses at the trial of anyone arrested following an "incident."

AWDstylez

Banned
imported post

Aran wrote:
Not even that.

Because the security guard had a HOLSTER

Empty holsters are a naturally scary thing.They imply that you probably have a gun somewhere. ZZZOMG!!!! RUN HE HAS A GUN!!!1111!!#!ONEONEONEELEVEN!11!!!!!:p

Legba

imported post

Someone complained once when I was a rent-a-cop (decades ago) that I was carrying a gun on the job - it was not an armed post. I have no idea how they came up with this, but my super asked me about it. There was no high drama with the police or the company management and I told him, truthfully, that I was not carrying guns at work. I did admit that I kept a shotgun in the trunk of my car, and nothing more was said of it. Ah, the good old days. No danger ofsuch a benign outcome any more.

This signage-as-security arrangement is asinine. How long before some smoker jams the door open and frustrates even that much "security"? I guess it doesn't occur to them that someone armed and bent on mayhem could just accost someone with keys, or shoot the lock out, or just wait till their intended victim(s) come and go...

-ljp