• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Long gun OC at the Tea Parties?

Reverend73

Founder's Club Member
imported post

I am very close to making a decision on whether or not I will be OCing a long gun at the Virginia Beach tea party. I would like to hear everyone's thoughts on the matter.

I truly believe that there were most likely long guns OCed at the original Boston Tea Party. Long gun OC will make a statement, but is it the statement we want to make. I think it is. The gov't needs to be reminded that this is a gov't of the people, by the people, and for the people. We do not serve them, they serve us.

Flame away, I got my flame suit on.:celebrate

EDIT: on a similar note, does anyone know if there are any laws on the books banning the carry of arms at demonstrations, parades, protests etc in Virginia? If there are, I can't find any.

Pagan

imported post

If you OC a long gun ,there should be a trusted friend nearby with a video camera, not with the group just hangning out close by to catch any unlawful LEO activity.

Neplusultra

imported post

I believe VB is one location mentioned by statute with restrictions on magazine size, threaded barrels, etc. Best check on that. They do not apply IIRC if you have a CHP.

Reverend73

Founder's Club Member
imported post

If I OC a long gun, it will be a rifle that doesn't fall into any of those restrictions. I do have a CHP, but I do not want to give an officer a reason to even approach me.

Neplusultra

imported post

Reverend73 wrote:
If I OC a long gun, it will be a rifle that doesn't fall into any of those restrictions. I do have a CHP, but I do not want to give an officer a reason to even approach me.
Oh, I think you'll be approached :^). But there is a point to be made. The 2A is for the purpose of reminding our representatives that we live under a "constitutional" republic and NOT a democracy. The governor of Texas just had a press conference affirming the sovereignty of the state of Texas under the 10th amendment. Do you think Kaine will do the same???

I'd do it. But expect some attention. Refresh yourself on your rights, what kind of information you have to give them and don't have to give them. And at least have a voice recorder and a friend (with a video camera better yet).

Neplusultra

imported post

Reverend73 wrote:
essayons wrote:
Rock a flintlock

I would if I had one. :(

Heck, I've always wanted one, maybe I'll just go buy one. Anyone know where I could get one locally, like, today?
I know Potomac Arms in Alexandria used to sell them. You might find them online within a reasonable distance. And I would call the local gun shops, if they don't have them they may know who does. Try the online gun auction sites too. I've got a 69 cal round bullet mold if you need some ball :^).

noah

imported post

Would carrying a rifle come under hunting laws? Such as not having a loaded rifle within 100 yards of the road?? Or what ever va beach hunting laws are?

VApatriot

imported post

I for one support the idea 100%. Making just such a statement, as bold as this, is long overdue, and this event sounds like a perfect venue for it.

On a similar note, I think it would be great to start planning some long-gun OC marches/parades for Independence Day.

Virginiaplanter

imported post

A nice firelock from the King George III's armory would be great. Most of the reproduction firelocks at Colonial Williamsburg are Pedersoli Brown Bess'. I am getting ready to fire my musket soon with Buck and Ball as per order of General Washington. You can't miss a man sized target up to 60 yards with a .69 cal ball and 4 pieces of 00 buck shot.

There must be a Brown Bess for sale somewhere in the historic triangle area.

SicSemperTyrannis

imported post

Me and Chris (crichardson) will be open carrying handguns to the tea party in Richmond near the Federel Reserve.

If you are going to open carry a long gun, someone should loan you an antique long gun from the same time period as the Boston Tea Party. That would seem ideal on many levels...

Reverend73

Founder's Club Member
imported post

ODA 226 wrote:
I encourage you NOT to carry a rifle because itWILL attract undue attention to you.

That is partly the point. These events are meant to attract the attention of our elected representatives. If you are talking about law enforcement attention, I'm not too concerned about that.

I'm just not sure I have the cojones to do this. I really, really want to, but it is easier said than done, at least for me.

Pagan

imported post

If we could get a couple people with quality video cameras to thwart any unlawful action on the LEO side of things, I would certainly do it, no sweat, I would carry a shot gun though, slung across my back. At some point somebody has to do the right thing, or nothing will ever be accomplished.