• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Long gun OC at the Tea Parties?

ODA 226

imported post

Reverend73 wrote:
ODA 226 wrote:
I encourage you NOT to carry a rifle because itWILL attract undue attention to you.

That is partly the point. These events are meant to attract the attention of our elected representatives. If you are talking about law enforcement attention, I'm not too concerned about that.

I'm just not sure I have the cojones to do this. I really, really want to, but it is easier said than done, at least for me.

You should be concerned about law enforcement. I do not agree with the others that it is time to OC long guns in a place like Town Center Va. Beach. There is too much potential to derail the OC Movement and there may be agent provocateurs there from ACORN.

Always pick the right time and place to make political statements. I don't feel this is the time nor the place.

Reverend73

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Many might say it is neither the time nor place to OC a handgun either. I disagree with that as well.

Why should I be concerned with law enforcement? I would be doing nothing illegal, and they know it.

This would not be like the black panthers marching in the street, shotguns in hand. It would be lawful OC of a slung long arm.

ChinChin

imported post

It would be seriously cool if you could scrounge up not only a flintlock, but colonial era clothes to sport to the event.

Now, if you were considering an AR/AK or a fudd gun; I'd still support you, but as others have said. . .have AT MINIMUM half a dozen friends with camcorders who will train the lens at you when they try to stop you; AND who have the testicular fortitude to keep rolling when the fuzz tells them to stop recording and not film them trying to discourage you from carrying.

Jonesy

imported post

I like the idea and the statement it makes. Certainly it would seem to be legal, but expect the possibility that photos/videos of you and whatever happens to be splashed around on the internet/tv, with the possibility of you and the Tea Parties in general to be cast by the left as extremists and radicals. The left is getting very scared of the growing Tea Party movement, and you could be subject to much negative press from the MSM. Note the MSM reporting derisively on stockpiling of guns and ammo, i.e. 20-20 and 60 Minutes.

All that being said, I 100% support you if you do this, and wish you the best of luck.

Lew

imported post

If you know the laws backwards and forwards, are 100% positive in the the legality or your actions, and keep it slung on your back, then I support you.

IMO:
-Have lots of friends with recording equipment.
-Choose something that doesn't scream "radical." If not a musket, then a shotgun or deer rifle.
-Look pleasant!

Keep us posted.

CRF250rider1000

imported post

I am not 100% on board with you for a couple reasons. First I am not sure what the impact of it will be. Also, I am not sure exactly how you plan to avoid someone grabbing it/ being able to defend yourself with it. If you are confident that this is the right thing, then wear something nice and rock that bad boy:celebrate

SaltH2OHokie

imported post

ODA 226 wrote:
TexasNative wrote:
ODA 226 wrote:
I don't feel this is the time nor the place.
Obviously, many of us disagree with you.
Obviously many that are encouraging him to OC a rifle to the Tea Party WOULDN'T OR WON'T DO IT THEMSELVES. Wanna take a guess why?
They lack the testicular fortitude to required to be the unpopular center of attention in spite of being justified in their actions?

Didn't have a lot of people doing what Rosa Parks did, but she sure had a lot of support.

CRF250rider1000

imported post

ODA 226 wrote:
TexasNative wrote:
ODA 226 wrote:
Obviously many that are encouraging him to OC a rifle to the Tea Party WOULDN'T OR WON'T DO IT THEMSELVES. Wanna take a guess why?
You will be a COP MAGNET! I will pray for you my friend:uhoh:
Personally I don't have the proper financial backing or time to try something like this. Hats off to you for being the one to test the waters.
Rosa Parks did make a big statement, but she also was arrested.

ODA 226

imported post

SaltH2OHokie wrote:
ODA 226 wrote:
TexasNative wrote:
ODA 226 wrote:
They lack the testicular fortitude to required to be the unpopular center of attention in spite of being justified in their actions?

Didn't have a lot of people doing what Rosa Parks did, but she sure had a lot of support.
The gentleman from Suffolk is correct!

packingdressagerider

Some where in Rockbridge County, Virginia, USA
imported post

Virginiaplanter wrote:
A nice firelock from the King George III's armory would be great. Most of the reproduction firelocks at Colonial Williamsburg are Pedersoli Brown Bess'. I am getting ready to fire my musket soon with Buck and Ball as per order of General Washington. You can't miss a man sized target up to 60 yards with a .69 cal ball and 4 pieces of 00 buck shot.

There must be a Brown Bess for sale somewhere in the historic triangle area.

[line]
I love the Brown Bess, there is a man in Lexington who has one, used to take it to the Black Powder seminars we gave for hunter education. The least favorite flintlock, that I have fired is the Baker rifle (known for its brutal recoil). I enjoyed firing Brown Bess at those seminars.

hsmith

imported post

I really don't see these demonstrations as open carry related, not saying you shouldn't open carry at all - but to me OC'ing a long gun distracts from the true purpose.

While you are in your legal rights, I don't see it as beneficial to the "cause" these demonstrations serve.

YMMV

ODA 226

imported post

hsmith wrote:
I really don't see these demonstrations as open carry related, not saying you shouldn't open carry at all - but to me OC'ing a long gun distracts from the true purpose.

While you are in your legal rights, I don't see it as beneficial to the "cause" these demonstrations serve.

YMMV
+1,000,000

CRF250rider1000

imported post

ODA 226 wrote:
hsmith wrote:

YMMV
+1,000,000
+1

Reverend73

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Good discussion. Exactly why I asked the question.

As I said before, I'm not sure I have the testicular fortitude. If I had a flintlock, I think I would do it.

I think long gun OC needs to be done, and I still believe this would be a good venue to do it. I will have a camcorder at the event.

CRF250rider1000

imported post

Reverend73 wrote:

As I said before, I'm not sure I have the testicular fortitude. If I had a flintlock, I think I would do it.

I think long gun OC needs to be done, and I still believe this would be a good venue to do it. I will have a camcorder at the event.
Just a couple quick questions but,

1. Do you have the financial backings for a good lawyer?

2. Do you have the time to deal with court?

3. Do you have the time to be arrested and go to jail?

4. Do you have a friend who is ready to bail you out?

These are just questions, but it is possible that they could falsely arrest you as seen with Danbus in Norfolk. Just thinking out loud here

hsmith

imported post

CRF250rider1000 wrote:
Reverend73 wrote:

These are just questions, but it is possible that they could falsely arrest you as seen with Danbus in Norfolk. Just thinking out loud here
And they are excellent questions to ask - because even the police don't know the laws regarding handgun OC, I would highly doubt they have a single clue about long gun OC.

CRF250rider1000

imported post

hsmith wrote:
CRF250rider1000 wrote:
Reverend73 wrote:

And they are excellent questions to ask - because even the police don't know the laws regarding handgun OC, I would highly doubt they have a single clue about long gun OC.
Exactly! The first thing they will do is tackle him and throw him in cuffs if that is the case.