Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Going to Texas

Post imported post

I'm heading to Texas from Washington State and I cant seem to find the map that say's if TexasrecognizesWashington's CHL or not. What is the recommedations so far as CC or OC for a out of state visitor. I have fam down there that I will be visiting this summer. Also if anyone can help me out with the (what to do) for Airport firearms check in. Thanks for any info.

VLR4

Post imported post

You canCC in Texas with a Washington CHLbut OC is still a definite no-no in Texas.:X

VLR4 wrote:
    I'm heading to Texas from Washington State and I cant seem to find the map that say's if TexasrecognizesWashington's CHL or not. What is the recommedations so far as CC or OC for a out of state visitor. I have fam down there that I will be visiting this summer. Also if anyone can help me out with the (what to do) for Airport firearms check in. Thanks for any info.

VLR4

Post imported post

Thank you

Post imported post

I came down here to Houston, I love Texas other than two things. 1) I cant open carry anymore! 2) I cant get myscript that is signed by my Indiana doctor filled here. Other than that I love Texas. I will be supporting the OPEN CARRY movement in Houston!:celebrate

Lone Star Veteran

Post imported post

Your WA permit is good to go here in TX. The proclamation for it came in '05 and is on the TX AG site in pdf.

As for declaring at the airport, check the airline's site for detailed requirements. When you check in, tell the clerk that you are checking a firearm and she'll direct you to the TSA scanner and/or inspection counter. They will look in there and then give you an orange tag that is suppose to go inside the case before it gets locked. The TSA guy will take the case from you and check it there. You'll want a hard side lockable case. Gun unloaded, mags can be in the case with the gun. Keep all ammo separate. I put mine in my regular luggage.

Post imported post

Do you think this will work?

Gun Vault

Lone Star Veteran

Post imported post

I think so. We travel with the briefcase type of gun case.

P3s or Prowlers?

Post imported post

Thanks again for all the info. Now if I can find a open flight.

Campaign Veteran

Post imported post

I wouldn't use the Gun Vault to transport a firearm. The gun is loose in there and will flop around. Get a lockable(padlock) hard sided case that will hold your firearm securely with the foam interior. Check with your airline for details.

Post imported post

Another question. I know CC means CC but what about printing, is it going to be a problem. It's hot in Texas and I want to wear a button up shirt over a shirt while I'm there. Some way or another it's not hard to know that I'am carring. OC is legal in Washington so I dont care if I' am wearing what I stated above and I'am printing, just want to know more facts before I head down there. Thanks for any info.

Lone Star Veteran

Post imported post

A button up over a t-shirt works well down here. It is how my husband carries (IWB) and I normally go with just a single shirt over an IWB.

The law on printing is that it has to be an "intentional failure to conceal". Most certainly don't tempt by wearing a skin tight shirt. Use discretion.

Post imported post

Shorts, that is the way I CC most of the time but we are talking about a .380 or 9mm most of the time. Also, I would not rely on the "intentional" part not with our sometimes overzealous LEO and DA's.

VLR4 you never mentioned what you would be carrying while you are here.

Shorts wrote:
    A button up over a t-shirt works well down here. It is how my husband carries (IWB) and I normally go with just a single shirt over an IWB.

The law on printing is that it has to be an "intentional failure to conceal". Most certainly don't tempt by wearing a skin tight shirt. Use discretion.

Lone Star Veteran

Post imported post

I am carrying a Commander .45

Post imported post

Would love to see pic's of how you manage that. I sure have not figured it out or maybe I am just to cautious.

Lone Star Veteran

Post imported post

Hijack inbound!

It took a bit for me to get use to. Knowing it was there and easily identifiable if a familiar eye looked. I've run around for 2mths now wearing the same 7 shirts out of my suitcase. Some button ups, some Tshirts.

I have to be careful how I move and I make certain my side isn't exposed when we sit at a restaurant. I don't lean forward to make the grip poke out.

There are times I'm certain I can be made. I believe I was not because people just don't jump to the result.

Post imported post

No hijack, last reply on the subject.

Those are the same problems I was aware of trying to IWB my XD45 4" service model. When I tried OWB I had to have a very oversized button or sweat shirt or printing did come into play. Thats why I went to IWB with smaller handguns.

Post imported post

CrossFire wrote:
    Shorts, that is the way I CC most of the time but we are talking about a .380 or 9mm most of the time. Also, I would not rely on the "intentional" part not with our sometimes overzealous LEO and DA's.

VLR4 you never mentioned what you would be carrying while you are here.

Shorts wrote:

Sorry about that. I'll be carring a XDm 9 with a Blade tech OWB holster. What Shorts was discribing about how she was worried about how she sat and moved is something I'am glad I dont have to worry about here in WA. I had called the chief of police there in Kingsville before posting this thread and he just contacted me answering my questions. The not so funny thing was he had to look it up instead of knowing that my CHL is noticed there. That raised the question I had to ask him, DOES YOUR LEO'S THERE UNDERSTAND THAT TEXASRECOGINIZES WA"S CHL and he said yes but he had to look it up his self. So that tell's me no and I hope he updated them on the subject.

Lone Star Veteran

Post imported post

Go ahead and keep a printed copy of the Proclamation on you/glove box.

Also remember, just like OC, if there is an MWAG call or you are approached by a property owner and asked to leave because you are made then you comply and leave. There is no harm, no foul. The LEOs here are friendly so unless you sour the interaction with an attitude, you shouldn't have trouble.

Post imported post

If you plan to transport a firearm when you travel by plane call the air port first. Some airports require that you meet outside of the premises. Depending on where you are flying from, you may be in a heap of trouble if you walk into the parameter with a firearm. This is what I was told when I took my conceal handgun license course. Better safe than sorry.

Post imported post

^ You bring up a great point. As I know WA's airport allows me to go to the check in counter but as for TX if I read right in the laws I cant walk in to the check in. I still have to read in to it more as I only had time to read alittle. Of course the weapon will be in a lock box but I have to get more facts.

Lone Star Veteran

Post imported post

In Texas you can walk in and check your firearms. Have your things packed properly in it's lock box/case. One cannot go to a secured area behind the xrays, metal detectors etc.

Sec.46.03.PLACES WEAPONS PROHIBITED.(a)A person commits an offense if the person intentionally, knowingly, or recklessly possesses or goes with a firearm, illegal knife, club, or prohibited weapon listed in Section 46.05(a):

[snip]

(5)in or into a secured area of an airport; or

[snip]

(c)In this section:

[snip]

(2)"Secured area" means an area of an airport terminal building to which access is controlled by the inspection of persons and property under federal law.

Post imported post

I've never had a problem with Southwest Airlines.
    Padlocked Pelican case, either by itself or inside luggage. Pack ammo in the original box, in the same case. If you have loaded mags, the primer must be fully covered, some TSA guys will let you insert cardboard over the primer, some won't. I have found it best to just keep a new box in the case just for flying.

Check your luggage with an agent at the counter (not at curb or self-check) and open your luggage and case. Tell them that there is a firearm in your luggage. They will look and say, "OK", then hand you the card to fill out. Fill it out, sign the back, and put it inside the gun case. Some want to see the empty chamber, but not usually. Some airports (Ft Lauderdale) want you to use the touchscreen check-in, but most (DAL) don't. Lock the case and close the luggage, if applicable.

You will probably be prompted to carry it to the TSA counter, or wait in a particular place until the TSA clears it... they may want to look at it, so hang around with the key. Some airports forget to tell you when it has cleared TSA, so ask where and how long to wait. Remember that TSA cannot tell if there is a gun in a particular bag until it xrays it, so they may not even notice that they need to tell you it has cleared the scanner. I do try to keep a spare, keyed-alike lock in the case, in case they have to cut it off in my absence, it can be relocked and put on the plane.

Once you fly with it a few times, you'll wonder why you haven't before. Also, make sure you and the airline never identify the luggage on the outside as containing a firearm... TSA prohibits this, but I have heard of it happening.

Post imported post

Just don'tallow yourself to be drawn into a paranoia that every LEO, and other Texas resident is "scanning" you for possible "printing". I think there's alot of excess concern over the "concealed" definition in Texas just because of the manner in which the laws "allow for" carry of a handgun LICENSED CONCEALED ONLY. Much of this stems from the "textbook" instruction approach in CHL classrooms. Just understand where the CHL instructors are coming from. They wisely want to cover themselves by stressing "don't print" .

There are alot of reasons that a "bulge" may be observable under a shirt. Life-saving medical equipment for one, cell phones, etc, etc. Concealed means COVERED - period. Remember this - Texas is a very gun friendly "country". You are less likely to provoke shock, hysteria, or panic at the inadvertant glimpse of a holstered handgun in Texas than you are in certain situations in Colorado -for example.

I've had a Texas CHL since 1995 and routinely have worn my weaponsin Texas for yearsholstered at 3:00 o'clock under an open jacket, or sport coat, or untucked golf shirt. When it's "windy" - I zip or button up.If I am in an uncomfortable location in the presence of "iffy" individuals - I may allow the Texas "wind" to have its way and grant a glimpse of Mr. Glock to a couple of hoodie looking dudes as I proceed in a "direct route to my vehicle" ... or pump gas at the Stop 'n Rob - both of which I have done on more than one occassion.

I moved to Colorado in 2006 where inadvertant exposure is no legal liability. I visit Texas (DFW) regularly at least 2-3 times a year and the only thing I do differently there is I don't OC. The laws need fixin' in Texas , but the folks are not near as skittish about handguns as many are in the "open carry states".

Bottom line is this -PERCEPTION is 95% of reality. If you present yourself in public like a clean-cut , lawful person and behave respectfully within the law- you won't have any problem in Texas with "printing", or inadvertant momentary "failure to conceal". Situational awareness and common sense should always attend.

Post imported post

Furthermore, Kingsville is a very friendly place, small town... Just make sure you are aware of where the school is (TAMU) and don't try to go on the King Ranch carrying.... A friend of mine teaches a CHL class there at the Iron Goat Range (he now lives in Uvalde though, so he is likely not going to be there, but) they should be really friendly if you need a place to de-stress while you are there! When on PRIVATE property here in the Republic you are basically under the law of the land owner and thus OC is acceptable if you have the permission of said land owner!
    Enjoy your visit! If you make it up this way, give me a shout!

Post imported post

Thanks to everyone for the info. I had no problem from TSA or when I was downthere. Had a blast but it was a little hot for my taste. O if you got rain where you are on Saturday, your welcome.I thought I would bring some rain from Washington.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast