• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Going to Texas

VLR4

imported post

I'm heading to Texas from Washington State and I cant seem to find the map that say's if TexasrecognizesWashington's CHL or not. What is the recommedations so far as CC or OC for a out of state visitor. I have fam down there that I will be visiting this summer. Also if anyone can help me out with the (what to do) for Airport firearms check in. Thanks for any info.

VLR4

CrossFire

imported post

You canCC in Texas with a Washington CHLbut OC is still a definite no-no in Texas.:X

VLR4 wrote:
I'm heading to Texas from Washington State and I cant seem to find the map that say's if TexasrecognizesWashington's CHL or not. What is the recommedations so far as CC or OC for a out of state visitor. I have fam down there that I will be visiting this summer. Also if anyone can help me out with the (what to do) for Airport firearms check in. Thanks for any info.

VLR4

EMSIG

imported post

I came down here to Houston, I love Texas other than two things. 1) I cant open carry anymore! 2) I cant get myscript that is signed by my Indiana doctor filled here. :cuss:Other than that I love Texas. I will be supporting the OPEN CARRY movement in Houston!:celebrate

Shorts

Lone Star Veteran
imported post

Your WA permit is good to go here in TX. The proclamation for it came in '05 and is on the TX AG site in pdf.

As for declaring at the airport, check the airline's site for detailed requirements. When you check in, tell the clerk that you are checking a firearm and she'll direct you to the TSA scanner and/or inspection counter. They will look in there and then give you an orange tag that is suppose to go inside the case before it gets locked. The TSA guy will take the case from you and check it there. You'll want a hard side lockable case. Gun unloaded, mags can be in the case with the gun. Keep all ammo separate. I put mine in my regular luggage.

VLR4

imported post

Do you think this will work?

Gun Vault

Gunvaultmini.jpg

Notso

Campaign Veteran
imported post

I wouldn't use the Gun Vault to transport a firearm. The gun is loose in there and will flop around. Get a lockable(padlock) hard sided case that will hold your firearm securely with the foam interior. Check with your airline for details.

VLR4

imported post

Another question. I know CC means CC but what about printing, is it going to be a problem. It's hot in Texas and I want to wear a button up shirt over a shirt while I'm there. Some way or another it's not hard to know that I'am carring. OC is legal in Washington so I dont care if I' am wearing what I stated above and I'am printing, just want to know more facts before I head down there. Thanks for any info.

Shorts

Lone Star Veteran
imported post

A button up over a t-shirt works well down here. It is how my husband carries (IWB) and I normally go with just a single shirt over an IWB.

The law on printing is that it has to be an "intentional failure to conceal". Most certainly don't tempt by wearing a skin tight shirt. Use discretion.

CrossFire

imported post

Shorts, that is the way I CC most of the time but we are talking about a .380 or 9mm most of the time. Also, I would not rely on the "intentional" part not with our sometimes overzealous LEO and DA's.

VLR4 you never mentioned what you would be carrying while you are here.

Shorts wrote:
A button up over a t-shirt works well down here. It is how my husband carries (IWB) and I normally go with just a single shirt over an IWB.

The law on printing is that it has to be an "intentional failure to conceal". Most certainly don't tempt by wearing a skin tight shirt. Use discretion.

Shorts

Lone Star Veteran
imported post

Hijack inbound!

It took a bit for me to get use to. Knowing it was there and easily identifiable if a familiar eye looked. I've run around for 2mths now wearing the same 7 shirts out of my suitcase. Some button ups, some Tshirts.

I have to be careful how I move and I make certain my side isn't exposed when we sit at a restaurant. I don't lean forward to make the grip poke out.

There are times I'm certain I can be made. I believe I was not because people just don't jump to the result.

CrossFire

imported post

No hijack, last reply on the subject.

Those are the same problems I was aware of trying to IWB my XD45 4" service model. When I tried OWB I had to have a very oversized button or sweat shirt or printing did come into play. Thats why I went to IWB with smaller handguns.

VLR4

imported post

CrossFire wrote:
Shorts, that is the way I CC most of the time but we are talking about a .380 or 9mm most of the time. Also, I would not rely on the "intentional" part not with our sometimes overzealous LEO and DA's.

VLR4 you never mentioned what you would be carrying while you are here.

Shorts wrote:

Sorry about that. I'll be carring a XDm 9 with a Blade tech OWB holster. What Shorts was discribing about how she was worried about how she sat and moved is something I'am glad I dont have to worry about here in WA. I had called the chief of police there in Kingsville before posting this thread and he just contacted me answering my questions. The not so funny thing was he had to look it up instead of knowing that my CHL is noticed there. That raised the question I had to ask him, DOES YOUR LEO'S THERE UNDERSTAND THAT TEXASRECOGINIZES WA"S CHL and he said yes but he had to look it up his self. So that tell's me no and I hope he updated them on the subject.

Shorts

Lone Star Veteran
imported post

Go ahead and keep a printed copy of the Proclamation on you/glove box.

Also remember, just like OC, if there is an MWAG call or you are approached by a property owner and asked to leave because you are made then you comply and leave. There is no harm, no foul. The LEOs here are friendly so unless you sour the interaction with an attitude, you shouldn't have trouble.

:)

Adahma

imported post

If you plan to transport a firearm when you travel by plane call the air port first. Some airports require that you meet outside of the premises. Depending on where you are flying from, you may be in a heap of trouble if you walk into the parameter with a firearm. This is what I was told when I took my conceal handgun license course. Better safe than sorry.

VLR4

imported post

^ You bring up a great point. As I know WA's airport allows me to go to the check in counter but as for TX if I read right in the laws I cant walk in to the check in. I still have to read in to it more as I only had time to read alittle. Of course the weapon will be in a lock box but I have to get more facts.