• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Seal Sniper Team's Weapon of Choice?

Don Barnett

imported post

Does anyone know what weapon and caliber the seals used to take out the pirates? I am just curious. If anyone finds out for sure, please post it. I heard that there has been some experimentation with the use of the .338 Lapau (not sure if I got the spelling right).

FightingGlock19

imported post

AWDstylez wrote:
From the reports I heard the "snipers" took out the pirates at a whopping 30 yards. So I'm going to go with a.... P3AT
Try it with moving targets, an unstable shooting platform, then see if you'd do just as good :uhoh:

Don Barnett

imported post

I would have had 3 shooter per head...one aiming high, one low and one dead center. Then fired in unison. I don't know if they are going to give up any operational "secrets".

imported post

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/M25_sniper_rifle

M25_rifle_1.jpg

Doug Huffman

Banned
Washington Island, across Death's Door, Wisconsin,
imported post

I have wondered about synchronized shooting, perhaps by use of a fire-permissive function trigger. The operator would depress his trigger as to fire while reasonably certain of a shot and release the trigger when the sight picture failed. When the whole team can be in fire permissive simultaneously then all slaved weapons would discharge simultaneously.

zigziggityzoo

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Doug Huffman wrote:
I have wondered about synchronized shooting, perhaps by use of a fire-permissive function trigger.  The operator would depress his trigger as to fire while reasonably certain of a shot and release the trigger when the sight picture failed.  When the whole team can be in fire permissive simultaneously then all slaved weapons would discharge simultaneously.

From what I know, they count down from 5 in synch, then fire on the T of Two.

Dustin

imported post

zigziggityzoo wrote:
Doug Huffman wrote:
I have wondered about synchronized shooting, perhaps by use of a fire-permissive function trigger. The operator would depress his trigger as to fire while reasonably certain of a shot and release the trigger when the sight picture failed. When the whole team can be in fire permissive simultaneously then all slaved weapons would discharge simultaneously.

From what I know, they count down from 5 in synch, then fire on the T of Two.

I've done it in the Marines.

Ours was 5..4..3..2..BANG!

Once you get used to the counters tone and pauses in between numbers, the group get's very tight.

Although it's very hard to be exact.

Spectre

imported post

I read an article from "Small Arms Review" that Snipers, and Sharpshooters having to shoot on the water prefer a semi automatic .308 with either a Eotech or Aimpoint or a low power optic such as an ACOG to make up for the inconsistent nature of the moving water. Rifles such as M-14's, M-21's,SR-25's, MSG-90's, and G3's are prefered and make the most sense to me.

Task Force 16

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Would it be possible that they were using 3 different weapons?

Do military snipers have the option to use the weapon of there choice? It seems that, due to not everyone being totally comfortable (and therefore the most proficient) with the same weapon, that snipers would be able to deploy with the weapon they are the most accurate with.

Tomahawk

imported post

Doug Huffman wrote:

This makes sense to me. This technology is not hard to employ and these guys are lavishly equipped with whatever their hearts desire.

Simply set up a logic circuit that fires all three weapons electronically when all three triggers have been depressed for a minmum time, say a few milliseconds. Each shooter only knows what his own weapon is aimed at; when the weapons fire it will be a surprise to all the shooters.

This may be overkill, though. The other night a Marine sniper on 20/20 demonstrated this same shot at a dummy on a bobbing life raft from the stern of a bobbing boat at the same range using what looked like a Barret M82, and he scored ten headshots with ten rounds like it was nothing. Apparently with enough training fancy electronics are a luxury rather than a necessity.

Task Force 16

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Tomahawk wrote:
Doug Huffman wrote:

This makes sense to me. This technology is not hard to employ and these guys are lavishly equipped with whatever their hearts desire.

Simply set up a logic circuit that fires all three weapons electronically when all three triggers have been depressed for a minmum time, say a few milliseconds. Each shooter only knows what his own weapon is aimed at; when the weapons fire it will be a surprise to all the shooters.

This may be overkill, though. The other night a Marine sniper on 20/20 demonstrated this same shot at a dummy on a bobbing life raft from the stern of a bobbing boat at the same range using what looked like a Barret M82, and he scored ten headshots with ten rounds like it was nothing. Apparently with enough training fancy electronics are a luxury rather than a necessity.
There's always the risk of a malfunction of such a system, too. You sure wouldn't want that to happen at a critical moment.