• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

OC while traveling thru AZ Indian territory?

GWbiker

imported post

......perhaps NOT a good idea.

Arizona has quite a few Native American Reservations with Apache and Navajo Nations being the largest. A couple of points to always remember when traveling thru a reservation - it's their land, they have their own laws and their own Police.......who can be pretty nasty when P.O. :cuss:

For the CCW permit people, click here.....

http://arizonaccwpermit.com/2008/12/17/which-arizona-indian-tribes-recognize-the-arizona-permit/

Upon hearing advice from several local LEO, to repeat - IMHO, it's considered not a good idea to OC in an Indian reservation. Elders may view this as a sign of aggression and summon the Police. (See above point about P.O. Police)

Sonora Rebel

imported post

The Indian nations are just that... Nations. It's their land... their government. It's not the same as passin' into another county.

me812

imported post

The Indian nations are just that... Nations. It's their land... their government. It's not the same as passin' into another county.

I agree, but if they aren't bound by state law and don't have to pay state taxes, then why do they get to vote in state elections?

dreamcro

Campaign Veteran
imported post

I was told by many County Sheriffs Deputies (Pima, Pinal, Maricopa), that they would never go on Indian land unarmed. Even when they were civilians prior to being LEO's. They said "it's almost as bad as suicide if you have no means of defense on you." I took that as "deep conceal it!!!" or "don't go there!"

HungSquirrel

imported post

I can understand reservations having the ability to ban OC while on foot, but what about OC or CC while driving in a vehicle on a state or federal highway that runs through their lands? Still verboten?

Sonora Rebel

imported post

I OC while in my vehicle... but don't get out of it while doing so. If I do... I'll leave the gun in the glove box.

me812

imported post

what about OC or CC while driving in a vehicle on a state or federal highway that runs through their lands?

In that case, you're OK, just make damn sure you stay on the highway and don't stop for anything on the res.

Klown

imported post

Ya that whole Indian affairs is kinda weird. They cant prosecute you if you're not an Indian, they would have to call the Feds to prosecute you. But, they can take your property (gun) and good luck getting it back since your 4th amendment isnt part of their nation. So if you're driving through and you get pulled over by a Tribal officer be courteous and don't disclose what propery you have in your vehicle.

HungSquirrel

imported post

Hard not to, if it's on my hip in plain view. That's why I specifically mentioned OC. If I were pulled over by a tribal officer while OCing, would I lose my beloved S&W 686?

Sonora Rebel

imported post

No telling. I would imagine it would depend on where... and what you were doing. You might want'a seen a letter to the various Tribal Police 'n ask.

me812

imported post

Hard not to, if it's on my hip in plain view. That's why I specifically mentioned OC. If I were pulled over by a tribal officer while OCing, would I lose my beloved S&W 686?

Tribal cops don't patrol the highways nor do they have any jurisdiction there. That's state jurisdiction and is patrolled by DPS.

Thundar

imported post

Klown wrote:
But, they can take your property (gun) and good luck getting it back since your 4th amendment isnt part of their nation.
??? Tribal law does not supercede the US Constitution, but can supercede State Constitutions.

i_chance_all

imported post

tribal cops have federal power and they can work of there land, but its not in the SOP.. but federal officers cant work on tribal land unless the tribe gives them police power... not fair and we gave them land which I think was only right in a way but they should still grant us the right to have a gun on it, since after all we did GIVE them back the land... we also should have done it in blocks not this zig zag line that is hard to track.