• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

OC at the Concealed Weapons Licensing Board Meeting?

EM87

imported post

As I sit here procrastinating the paper I have to write for school, a question arose in my mind. Would open carrying at the Concealed Weapons Licensing Board meeting have an effect on whether or not my permit was granted?

The board will be accepting or declining my application at their meeting tonight in Kalamazoo and I had thought about OCing there, although I've decided now that I don't think I will just to be safe (from laws or from judgement of the board members). I'm just posting because I'm curious if that could change anything.

Thoughts?

P.S. Since I've decided that I'm not going to OC there tonight, I'm not going to bother looking up the laws pertaining to OC in government buildings, etc. However, if this is a place that I am not allowed to OC in, I'd appreciate it if someone would point that out.

Thanks!

Michigander

imported post

I would do that myself when I go in to the freedom permission slip and tax review board, but in Oakland County, the meetings happen in a building containing a court room. Remember, courts are a separate issue from preemption, so DON'T carry in a building with a court room in it, with or without a CPL.

If the board isn't meeting in a building that has a court in it, and you can transport your gun there in accordance with state law, I believe you should be fine. Remember, they have no choice but to give you the permit if you pass the background check and give the tyrannical state its extortion money. The key term here is "shall issue".

(Not a lawyer, could be wrong, but that's how I understand it)

Bronson

imported post

I didn't think Kalamazoo County required you to show up for the meeting. When my friend over there got his CPL he just received a letter stating that he could come pick it up. Over here in Calhoun County you are required to attend the meeting.

Bronson

EM87

imported post

Bronson wrote:
I didn't think Kalamazoo County required you to show up for the meeting.  When my friend over there got his CPL he just received a letter stating that he could come pick it up.  Over here in Calhoun County you are required to attend the meeting.

You're not required to attend here unless they request your presence, but I thought it might be interesting to see how the board goes about their duties. I was surprised to learn that it only consists of 3 voting members and the county clerk (to oversee the meeting.)

EM87

imported post

I just got off the phone with the Kalamazoo County sheriff's office. They said that the Kalamazoo County administration building contains no courtroom of any type, nor does it deal with any court-related issues, and that it only deals with county administration. Therefore, I've concluded that it is legal for me to OC there, which I will do tonight. I'm looking forward to seeing how the meeting is run!

Last minute question: if, for some reason, there are signs that prohibit firearms, or if someone tells me I have to put it in my car or leave, preemption applies, right?

Venator

Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter
imported post

EM87 wrote:
I just got off the phone with the Kalamazoo County sheriff's office. They said that the Kalamazoo County administration building contains no courtroom of any type, nor does it deal with any court-related issues, and that it only deals with county administration. Therefore, I've concluded that it is legal for me to OC there, which I will do tonight. I'm looking forward to seeing how the meeting is run!

Last minute question: if, for some reason, there are signs that prohibit firearms, or if someone tells me I have to put it in my car or leave, preemption applies, right?

If there is not a court in the building them preemption applies. You should be okay. Remember that some LEO's and prosecutors think you can only transport your handgun under the exact examples given in the statute. They may say you transported the weapon illegally by transporting it to the meeting, because that is not in the statute.

We know that the intent was to allow all lawful purposes and the examples are just that, a few examples of lawful purposes, but still some don't thinks so. So be careful and take a voice recorder.

Michigander

imported post

Venator wrote:
Remember that some LEO's and prosecutors think you can only transport your handgun under the exact examples given in the statute. They may say you transported the weapon illegally by transporting it to the meeting, because that is not in the statute.

That's pretty easy to get around. I would do 2 things in that circumstance. First, I would park in a private parking lot and walk as far as I had to. Second, I would absolutely refuse to give details about how I got there. That way, all ends are covered.

EM87

imported post

So here's what happened:

When I got to the County Administration building it looked empty, except for a mop and vacuum cleaner. I tried all the doors only to find them locked. I waited outside until about 9:10, then tried the court building next door. There was a guy outside who had the door propped open, so I asked if he knew anything about the meeting. As far as he knew, they "never held meetings this late" at the administration building and that he didn't even think the gun board met here. He asked why I thought the meeting was here and at this time, so I referenced the website which I had open on a mobile phone.

http://www.kalcounty.com/directory/boards/concealedweapons.htm

From the website:

"Kalamazoo County Board of Commissioners
201 W. Kalamazoo Ave., Room 207
Kalamazoo, MI 49007
(269) 384-8111

The Concealed Weapons Licensing Board meets on the second Tuesday of the month at 9:00 p.m. in Commission Chambers of the County Administration Building. The Board is responsible for the review and approval or denial of applications for concealed weapons permits."

I know I at least have the date right because I was told by someone in the county clerk's office that the meeting was Tuesday, April 14. The only thing I can determine is that either I was in the wrong place and/or there at the wrong time because of false information on the website, or for some reason the meeting was rescheduled. I will be calling the county clerk tomorrow to see if the meeting actually happened and to find out if my CPL is ready.

I'm only disappointed because I wanted to see how the meetings work. I guess if I'm actually curious enough I could go to the next one (but I doubt I will.)

EM87

imported post

Michigander wrote:
I think we were just talking about how it's illegal to falsely announce when the meetings will be. :uhoh:

http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/forum30/24070.html

Yeah, I've read that one. I don't care enough about this to make a big deal out of it as long as I get my CPL soon. If it was approved today (and there's no reason I know of for it not to have been) then I can pick it up tomorrow.

Bronson

imported post

Venator wrote:
We know that the intent was to allow all lawful purposes and the examples are just that, a few examples of lawful purposes, but still some don't thinks so. So be careful and take a voice recorder.

Article I, section 6 of the Michigan Constitution

Every person has a right to keep and bear arms for the defense of himself and the state.

Bada bing, self-defense is a legal purpose...at least that's how Iread it :cool:

Bronson

EM87

imported post

Bronson wrote:
When did you apply?

Bronson

I applied for it March 9th. I just called and they said it was ready to pick up! Woohoo! Apparently the meeting was at 9 AM, not 9 PM as it says on the website. I informed them of the misinformation and they will be fixing it soon. I'm so glad that I can finally carry in my car; it was such a pain to trunk it all the time!

Haman J.T.

imported post

I was turned down for a CPL in Macomb,so I lawyered up for the next board meeting.They decided to make us wait a month to determine that I was convicted of OUIL in 94' and had a ticket for open intoxicants in 96', both of which were not on the 8 and 3 year lists.The Sheriff's Rep stated he did not trust me in public with a firearm. We went back the next month and I showed them my copies of the Macomb Daily front pages from 8/14 and 8/17 of our OC picnic and the picture of me and Ron with the News 4 reporter.I explained that I already carry openly in public to defend myself and the citizens of this state,that I am my brothers keeper according to my Christian belief's!They were consiliatory towards me and gave me my CPL instantly and thanked me for being serious about my rights.Make sure you are prepared when you go to the board. You probably will not have the problems I had because of my record but it would not be wise to go unprepared to the board! God Bless! Jeff.

FatboyCykes

imported post

hamaneggs wrote:
I was turned down for a CPL in Macomb,so I lawyered up for the next board meeting.They decided to make us wait a month to determine that I was convicted of OUIL in 94' and had a ticket for open intoxicants in 96', both of which were not on the 8 and 3 year lists.The Sheriff's Rep stated he did not trust me in public with a firearm. We went back the next month and I showed them my copies of the Macomb Daily front pages from 8/14 and 8/17 of our OC picnic and the picture of me and Ron with the News 4 reporter.I explained that I already carry openly in public to defend myself and the citizens of this state,that I am my brothers keeper according to my Christian belief's!They were consiliatory towards me and gave me my CPL instantly and thanked me for being serious about my rights.Make sure you are prepared when you go to the board. You probably will not have the problems I had because of my record but it would not be wise to go unprepared to the board! God Bless! Jeff.
Hmm, I was under the impression that Macomb had done away with the board meetings. I guess not. The meeting takes place in Mt. Clemens does it not?

Haman J.T.

imported post

Yes.Meetings are at the Macomb County Circuit Court Building 5th Floor Conference Room.Once a month I believe.At least as of March of 09 when I recieved my CPL.