• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

OC at the Concealed Weapons Licensing Board Meeting?

FatboyCykes

imported post

And you had to answer questions from them before the permit was issued? Is that the procedure, or was it just because of your previous incidents?

Taurus850CIA

imported post

hamaneggs wrote:
I was turned down for a CPL in Macomb,so I lawyered up for the next board meeting.They decided to make us wait a month to determine that I was convicted of OUIL in 94' and had a ticket for open intoxicants in 96', both of which were not on the 8 and 3 year lists.The Sheriff's Rep stated he did not trust me in public with a firearm. We went back the next month and I showed them my copies of the Macomb Daily front pages from 8/14 and 8/17 of our OC picnic and the picture of me and Ron with the News 4 reporter.I explained that I already carry openly in public to defend myself and the citizens of this state,that I am my brothers keeper according to my Christian belief's!They were consiliatory towards me and gave me my CPL instantly and thanked me for being serious about my rights.Make sure you are prepared when you go to the board. You probably will not have the problems I had because of my record but it would not be wise to go unprepared to the board! God Bless! Jeff.
What an arrogant jerk. His opinion does not matter. If you met the criteria, they have to issue.

Haman J.T.

imported post

FatboyCykes wrote:
And you had to answer questions from them before the permit was issued? Is that the procedure, or was it just because of your previous incidents?
I don't know whether that's procedure but I pretty much had to explain the whole situation with my record. They obviously did not know the law as well as I did when I appeared before them.I read the whole law before I applied to make sure I was eligible so by their actions I figured either they didn't know the law or they were excercising their anti-gun agenda to deny me my rights!I believe it was the later. I made sure that everyone in the room could hear what was going on and there had to be at least 20 people present.I believe that is why they were almost apologetic before they gave me my CPL. The state police rep and Disrict Att reps both congradulated me on recieving my CPL.The sheriff's rep ate crow.

DrTodd

Michigan Moderator
imported post

Taurus850CIA wrote:
hamaneggs wrote:
I was turned down for a CPL in Macomb,so I lawyered up for the next board meeting.They decided to make us wait a month to determine that I was convicted of OUIL in 94' and had a ticket for open intoxicants in 96', both of which were not on the 8 and 3 year lists.The Sheriff's Rep stated he did not trust me in public with a firearm. We went back the next month and I showed them my copies of the Macomb Daily front pages from 8/14 and 8/17 of our OC picnic and the picture of me and Ron with the News 4 reporter.I explained that I already carry openly in public to defend myself and the citizens of this state,that I am my brothers keeper according to my Christian belief's!They were consiliatory towards me and gave me my CPL instantly and thanked me for being serious about my rights.Make sure you are prepared when you go to the board. You probably will not have the problems I had because of my record but it would not be wise to go unprepared to the board! God Bless! Jeff.
What an arrogant jerk. His opinion does not matter. If you met the criteria, they have to issue.
He may be an arrogant jerk, but the board can deny a CPL based upon opinion supported by at least some facts (leaves a lot of discretion to the board)

MCL28.425b License application; fee; verification of requirements; determination; circumstances for issuance; fingerprints; issuance or denial; temporary license; suspension or revocation of license; definitions.

...that issuing a license to the applicant to carry a concealed pistol in this state is not detrimental to the safety of the applicant or to any other individual. A determination under this subdivision shall be based on clear and convincing evidence of repeated
violations of this act, crimes, personal protection orders or injunctions, or police reports or other clear and convincing evidence of the actions of, or statements of, the applicant that bear directly on the applicant’s ability to carry a concealed pistol.

Taurus850CIA

imported post

DrTodd wrote:
Taurus850CIA wrote:
hamaneggs wrote:
He may be an arrogant jerk, but the board can deny a CPL based upon opinion supported by at least some facts (leaves a lot of discretion to the board)

MCL28.425b License application; fee; verification of requirements; determination; circumstances for issuance; fingerprints; issuance or denial; temporary license; suspension or revocation of license; definitions.

...that issuing a license to the applicant to carry a concealed pistol in this state is not detrimental to the safety of the applicant or to any other individual. A determination under this subdivision shall be based on clear and convincing evidence of repeated
violations of this act, crimes, personal protection orders or injunctions, or police reports or other clear and convincing evidence of the actions of, or statements of, the applicant that bear directly on the applicant’s ability to carry a concealed pistol.
Not knowing what the OP said in front of the board that may have incriminated him, I have no argument. On paper, he fit the criteria.

Haman J.T.

imported post

Taurus850CIA wrote:
DrTodd wrote:
Taurus850CIA wrote:
hamaneggs wrote:

Not knowing what the OP said in front of the board that may have incriminated him, I have no argument. On paper, he fit the criteria.
The above listed section is exactly what they used for their initial reasoning to postpone for a month.Due to the fact I have an interlock device in my car.In 94' I was convicted of ouil which exceeds the 8 yr listing and the open intoxicant ticket in 96' which is not on either list.Due to the change in 99' that required an interlock device for anyone convicted twice of ouil in a ten year period,the Sec of State went all the way back to 92'.My appeal was in January of 09'.Does that sound kosher to you?I told them that I had to show the Sec of State that I had been sober for more than a year in order to get the device put in the car but they said to get a report to show I had not been drinking and driving for the period that I had the device in the car.I told them the car will not run if there was any drinking in the first place.I gave them the report which obviously showed there was no drinking going on.DUHH!They had no clear and convincing evidence.The fact that the Sheriffs rep stated he was afraid that I might drink someday would eliminate me from getting a CPL for the rest of my life due to the fact that no one can guarantee any such thing.How many of those in attendance could guarantee,let alone the Dist Att, Sheriffs rep, State Police rep and all police enforcement officers,that they will not drink in the future? I was being condemned for life for what happened over 15 years ago!

Venator

Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter
imported post

hamaneggs wrote:
The above listed section is exactly what they used for their initial reasoning to postpone for a month.Due to the fact I have an interlock device in my car.In 94' I was convicted of ouil which exceeds the 8 yr listing and the open intoxicant ticket in 96' which is not on either list.Due to the change in 99' that required an interlock device for anyone convicted twice of ouil in a ten year period,the Sec of State went all the way back to 92'.My appeal was in January of 09'.Does that sound kosher to you?I told them that I had to show the Sec of State that I had been sober for more than a year in order to get the device put in the car but they said to get a report to show I had not been drinking and driving for the period that I had the device in the car.I told them the car will not run if there was any drinking in the first place.I gave them the report which obviously showed there was no drinking going on.DUHH!They had no clear and convincing evidence.The fact that the Sheriffs rep stated he was afraid that I might drink someday would eliminate me from getting a CPL for the rest of my life due to the fact that no one can guarantee any such thing.How many of those in attendance could guarantee,let alone the Dist Att, Sheriffs rep, State Police rep and all police enforcement officers,that they will not drink in the future? I was being condemned for life for what happened over 15 years ago!
Thank you for standing up to authority. Because of your actions we ALL gain a bit more liberty. If only all so called pro-gun people would stand up and be counted this country would be much better off.

Thanks, again.

Brian

Haman J.T.

imported post

Venator wrote:
hamaneggs wrote:
Thank you for standing up to authority. Because of your actions we ALL gain a bit more liberty. If only all so called pro-gun people would stand up and be counted this country would be much better off.

Thanks, again.

Brian
It takes education.If you know the law and your rights it's easier to fight back! If you do not have the info they try to roll over you! This site is exactily what us citizens need to fight back! God Bless OC.org and all sites that tell us the truth!

Kimberguy

imported post

Tell Mr. Reams(The guy with a glass eye, yes he took it out for me) that Mr Cross said hello... He used to be a student of mine. I miss him and his wife... now that I think about it I should give him a call..... hmmmmm

DrTodd

Michigan Moderator
imported post

hamaneggs wrote:
Taurus850CIA wrote:
DrTodd wrote:
Taurus850CIA wrote:
hamaneggs wrote:

I wasn't trying to argue that you were a poor risk for a cpl at all; just that there is some discretion even though people think there is none.

I agree that it does lead to an abuse of power. IMHO, former felons who have served their punishment should have the right to carry a firearm and so should people who have had a Protective Order placed against them. Some here may not agree, but why should a person who has served their time be punished for life and why, even though they haven't been convicted of anything at all, should a person subject to a protection order be banned from possessing a firearm?

dougwg

MOC Charter Member Westland, Michigan, USA
imported post

DrTodd wrote:
hamaneggs wrote:
Taurus850CIA wrote:
DrTodd wrote:
Taurus850CIA wrote:
hamaneggs wrote:

I wasn't trying to argue that you were a poor risk for a cpl at all; just that there is some discretion even though people think there is none.

I agree that it does lead to an abuse of power. IMHO, former felons who have served their punishment should have the right to carry a firearm and so should people who have had a Protective Order placed against them. Some here may not agree, but why should a person who has served their time be punished for life and why, even though they haven't been convicted of anything at all, should a person subject to a protection order be banned from possessing a firearm?

I must agree with that. But I will goone step farther.

After the debt to society has been paid they should have their rights restored. But the next time they F up.....well it should be the LAST time they F up.

Everyone diserves a second chance. It is my belief that there should be no third.

Haman J.T.

imported post

dougwg wrote:
DrTodd wrote:
hamaneggs wrote:
Taurus850CIA wrote:
DrTodd wrote:
Taurus850CIA wrote:
hamaneggs wrote:

I must agree with that. But I will goone step farther.

After the debt to society has been paid they should have their rights restored. But the next time they F up.....well it should be the LAST time they F up.

Everyone diserves a second chance. It is my belief that there should be no third.
I saw no argument DrTodd and dougwg has a point for common sense that has been lacking in our laws for decades.

springerdave

Northern lower & Keweenaw area, Michigan, USA
imported post

Sooo, some dirt bag that rapes a 9 year old SHOULD get another chance to get it right next time? I think not. Maybe think twice about that little kid of yours being messed up for life because some jerk can't make good choices.

Or am I adding apples and oranges?

What is the maximum sentence for a crime of that nature? Think all would be corrected in that length of time?springerdave.

Haman J.T.

imported post

springerdave wrote:
Sooo, some dirt bag that rapes a 9 year old SHOULD get another chance to get it right next time? I think not. Maybe think twice about that little kid of yours being messed up for life because some jerk can't make good choices.

Or am I adding apples and oranges?

What is the maximum sentence for a crime of that nature? Think all would be corrected in that length of time?springerdave.
Max sentence for them is never long enough and I believe capitol punishment would do for common sense.

T Vance

imported post

hamaneggs wrote:
I hope I don't run into this problem. I have one OUIL on my record from 7 years ago, but according to the application as long as you don't have 2 or more you may apply.

Haman J.T.

imported post

T Vance wrote:
hamaneggs wrote:
I hope I don't run into this problem. I have one OUIL on my record from 7 years ago, but according to the application as long as you don't have 2 or more you may apply.
The law states OUIL2nd.If you were charged with OUIL and you got a lawyer you would have plead to a lesser charge which is usualyOWI. Nonetheless OUIL2nd is the one stated in the 8 year list and thats the one they tried to get me on 15 years later.With only one conviction 7 years ago you might get a lawyer to go with you.The first time I went by myself and got turned down.You are allowed to appeal in the Circuit court.It was over 6 months later when I got my lawyer and too late to appeal presumably.The lawyer cost for the Circuit was $500 and $250 to appear with me when I re-applied + $105 for the App.It was cheaper for me to re-apply.You will be questioned because of the conviction I suspect,thats why a lawyer would help.It depends what county you are in also. Good luck anyway!

T Vance

imported post

hamaneggs wrote:
The law states OUIL2nd.If you were charged with OUIL and you got a lawyer you would have plead to a lesser charge which is usualyOWI. Nonetheless OUIL2nd is the one stated in the 8 year list and thats the one they tried to get me on 15 years later.With only one conviction 7 years ago you might get a lawyer to go with you.The first time I went by myself and got turned down.You are allowed to appeal in the Circuit court.It was over 6 months later when I got my lawyer and too late to appeal presumably.The lawyer cost for the Circuit was $500 and $250 to appear with me when I re-applied + $105 for the App.It was cheaper for me to re-apply.You will be questioned because of the conviction I suspect,thats why a lawyer would help.It depends what county you are in also. Good luck anyway!
I'm in Jackson County. I'll decide if I'm going to take a lawyer with me when I come to that bridge. If I do get question at a board meeting, and denied I'll just tell them straight up "That's ok, I'll just open carry since I don't need approval from a board to do that".