• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Officer shoots, kills 76-year-old hunter

JB

imported post

"State wildlife officials say a veteran officer shot and killed a hunter in self-defense after a confrontation in northwestern North Carolina."

"His daughter told WXII-TV in Winston-Salem she doubted the officer's story, and that her father was shot on his own land.."

http://www.charlotteobserver.com/local/story/661448.html

I ran across this on a hunting site. Obviously not enough info to make a judgement, but I was curious how the folks here would view it. The people on the hunting site seemed to be on the officer's side. I'm a little bothered that the guy got shot while hunting his own ground.

compmanio365

imported post

Hmm, that is the least informative story I've seen in a while. Not enough information to know, but I have to wonder whya game warden was on this guy's property and got involved in a confrontation, then felt justified in shooting this guy.

Pagan

imported post

So to investigate, means needing reasonable suspicion, correct? They can't just go on private property and start bugging hunters simply because they feel like it, can they?

imported post

A Mississippi game warden arrested me in LOUISIANA, took me across the state line and jailed me in MISSISSIPPI. No, there was no "hot pursuit."
Game wardens, along with their counterparts, the "law enforcement officers," do pretty much as they damned well please. Only thing stops them is superior firepower.
They understand nothing else.

chiefjason

imported post

Pagan, they pretty much can come on private property. Particularly during seasons if they are checking on game related issue. Whether this is official or not I'm not sure. But when our dove field gets checked it's by 6-8 wardens. They even circle behind the field and coordinate it to come in all sides at once. One of our local papers says it was for suspicion of baiting turkeys. NC allows deer baiting, but not for turkeys.

Per NC Wildlife Commission, it is illegal to...

[align=left]Take wild turkeys from an area in which bait has been placed.(An area is considered baited until 10 days after the bait has been consumed or otherwise removed.)[/align]
[align=left]Here is the article from a local paper.[/align]
[align=left]http://www2.morganton.com/content/2009/apr/14/sbi-probes-lenoir-hunters-death/news-local/[/align]
[align=left]We also have to keep in mind that the guy was armed as it was turkey season. Unlike when we carry in a holster, it's harder to know whay someone will do with a weapon that is, for lack of a better word, brandished. I usually open the action on my shotgun when I know they are there, or sling my rifle during deer season. I hope it was not a mistake. But I also don't expect an officer to take a bullet before acting if the situation is heading in that direction. [/align]

riverrat10k

imported post

Seems game wardens can enter private property without a warrant.

My land is posted with "No Tresspassing. Danger Area. Live ammunition and hazardous conditions."

Not a good idea to be downrange during hunting season in VA.

Doug Huffman

Banned
Washington Island, across Death's Door, Wisconsin,
imported post

CrossFire wrote:
Dustin wrote:
Thundar wrote:
Dustin wrote:
MousePrifeII wrote:
Deleted by moderator known troll.
What the hell is this?
That troll is an ass. Moderator is doing the right thing.
Then why not just ban him?
I agree why not ban him and get it over with?
MousePrifeIII would immediately appear. Apparently mywowbb software requires manual banning of a lusername and will not ban by IP. And approval of a new username is automatic.

marrandy

imported post

NightOwl wrote:
"According to North Carolina law, wildlife officers are allowed on private property for wildlife-related investigations"  Does normal patrol count as an investigation?
[/quote]

I didn't realize that North Carolina law trumped the 4th amendment, without a warrant..

Do you want to provide a link so someone in North Carolina has status to file state and federal lawsuits.