Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Whats it like to shoot a .45

Post imported post

Ive never shot a 45. I have a 44 magnum, and a 40 cal XDM andwas thinking about getting a 45. whats the difference bettween ACP and GAP ammo. Whats it like to shoot a 45? How much recoil are we talking about? and Ive seen the Glock compensated pistols. Has anyone had any experience with these weapons? I really like the Glock pistols and If I buy a 45 it more than likely be a glock......

Rick

Post imported post

The recoil will be a lot less than your 44 mag

Post imported post

Don't know if this will help. My wife prefers to shoot my S&W 45 over my keltec p3at 380. The weight difference in the pistols reduces the barrel lift and felt recoil. Recoil is not too bad. It's uncompensated and most of the recoil is straight back. I can get back on target quick with multiple shots. Don't have too much experience with many of the other calibers. Trying to keep it simple.

Post imported post

I own and shoot a Glock 27 40 S&W. I recently qualified for my CCW on both a .45 1911 and a .45 long barrel revolver. I had never shot either one before. The long barrel was the challenge of the two. The 1911 was a bit heavier and a bit more recoil. I scored a 100 with both for CCW qualification.

Post imported post

Of all of the different handguns in various calibers that I have personally shot the 45 ACP is, IMO, the easiest shooting caliber out there. It may be a big, heavy bullet but it is only moving at around 900 Fps.

I have not shot anything in 45 GAP.

Post imported post

In my experience the .45 ACP and .45 GAP shoot very much the same with the only difference being the size of the grip necessary for each caliber. I own a Glock 19 in 9mm as well as a G38 in .45 GAP and I picked up the latter because it offered the same size frame as my 9mm. At first I was looking at the Glock 21 in .45 ACP but because the grip was noticably larger (at least to me) than the 9mm/.40 frame I went with the .45 that matched my 9mm, the GAP. GAP ammo is said to be harder to find than ACP but I've found that not to be a problem and the cost difference has been negligable if it exists at all.

Post imported post

XDM OWNER wrote:
    Ive never shot a 45. I have a 44 magnum, and a 40 cal XDM andwas thinking about getting a 45. whats the difference bettween ACP and GAP ammo. Whats it like to shoot a 45? How much recoil are we talking about? and Ive seen the Glock compensated pistols. Has anyone had any experience with these weapons? I really like the Glock pistols and If I buy a 45 it more than likely be a glock...... Rick
    Depending on the handgun shooting a .45ACP can be a pleasant experience, or a pain in the........hand.

A P220 and a 1911 will be heavy enough to help soak up the recoil.

A Taurus PT745PRO shooting 230gr .45ACP will sting your hand.

But, if it's blistering pain you're looking for........ try a 18" Mossberg 12gauge with pistol grip.

Post imported post

I feel that the recoil of a .45 is more of a rising thump. Where as the recoil of a 9mm or .40 is more of a rearward snap.

Post imported post

It all depends on the Gun.

Shooting a 26oz Glock 21 is NOTHING like shooting an All metal 40oz 1911.

1911's chambered in .45 ACP offer the "PUSH" when fired. Their 40oz. empty, so there's more of a push into your arms than a KICK/FLIP you get from a Glock 21. It's actually VERY close to your XDM, with a little less muzzle flip. I know this b/c I also own an XDM, and often fire a SA GI 1911.

I say if you get a .45, make it a 1911.

Post imported post

My XD45 is an absolute pleasure to shoot. The SA GI 1911 that Dustin mentions is on my list for my next purchase, that or the EMP.

Post imported post

CrossFire wrote:
    My XD45 is an absolute pleasure to shoot. The SA GI 1911 that Dustin mentions is on my list for my next purchase, that or the EMP.
    Fired one of them too. The EMP is very nice, just a little snappy

Post imported post

.45ACP out of an AMT Backup is ummmm interesting!

Post imported post

45 is more like a boom and a shove where 40 is more of a snappy pop...9mm is snappy to but with less recoil if that makes any sense to you..i shot a g22 and i thought it had alot more recoil then my uspc in 45 which was a smaller gun...my 1911 was a full size 5in and it was a wonderful gun to shoot...heavier is better...the g21 is also a pleasant shooter compared to its 40 cal sister pistols...and any weapon compensated in any way weither its porting or in hk's case with there recoil reduction..will always equal a much more pleasant shooting experience...the only reason i traded my uspc in 45 for my p2000 in 9mm is because i t was getting harder to afford to shoot the 45 over the 9mm.....

so as a guide any full to mid size 1911 or other all metal pistol is gonna be easier on your body then a lite weight plastic pistol of the same size and caliber...or as far as the plastics go..glock\xd\s&w mp\hk pistols are easy to shoot becasue the frames actually flex and help absord the recoil of the round....i had no problem dumping a mag of +p 230 gr 45 out of my hk and keeping the shots in the zone...

IMHO

Post imported post

Post imported post

Hey, marshaul......That looks like my Desert Eagle .50 going off.

Post imported post

:P

Post imported post

marshaul wrote:
    uhh, looks like you reloaded a little hot... try just a tad less powder on the next one!
    When the **** hits the fan, ask yourself: What Would Bugly Do?

Post imported post

+P+

Post imported post

marshaul wrote:
    +P+
    Nore like +++P+++

Post imported post

My 5' tall wife loves my combat commander, very comfortable for her smaller hands and has a nice natural "point of aim". She has no problem putting a box of rounds through it. She hated my .357

Post imported post

I got into pistols very recently, starting about two months ago. I have rented a few, and purchased a few as well. Here are my thoughts on everything I have fired so far..

(no idea of model/brand)
    Cheap and easy to fire, fun for plinking because you can do it all day for practically free and with no pain from recoil. No use for anything else really though.

.32 Auto
    Kel-Tec P32 (owned)
    Easy to fire, not much recoil, but still starts to hurt the hand after 100 rounds or so because it is so small. Fantastic BUG though, as you can carry it 24/7 and it is so small and light you almost forget you have it.

.40 S&W
    Glock
    XD
    Sig
    Taurus
    I tried out all these guns one day, about 25 rounds per gun, 100 total rounds. These guns all hurt a little to fire because the recoil really battered my hands as it snapped the gun up and back really hard with each shot. The only one I was remotely accurate with was the XD, though that was the first one I tried and I might just have been more comfortable at the time since my hand didn't hurt yet. Personally I have no interest in firing .40 ever again since it just was not a fun experience. I understand the benefits, since it sits halfway between 9mm and .45acp, giving you the best of both worlds, more rounds than .45 and more stopping power than 9mm. However, my accuracy with it in a defensive situation would be horrible, and I would rather fire 15 rounds of 9mm fast and accurately, or 8 rounds of .45 fast and accurately than 13 rounds of .40 slowly and accurately or fast and inaccurately.

9mm
    Kel-tec PF9 (owned)
    This Kel-tec is the second or third lightest 9mm available and so the felt recoil was very close to that of the .40's despite being only 9mm. However, because it is just 9mm it still doesn't hurt as bad as those did. I wouldn't want to fire it all day, but if it was a heavier gun, like even an XD, I think it would be quite fun to fire 9mm regularly. The advantage of this gun is the lightness and the fact it is less than an inch thick, making it easy to carry as a backup gun. I always have this one or my P32 with me and feel a lot better for it, even when I have one of my larger guns as well.

.45 ACP
    STI Spartan M1911
    Dan Wesson Heritage Razorback M1911 (owned)
    I rented the STI one day at the range and immediately fell in love with .45 M1911's. The trigger pull on an M1911 is very short since it is SAO, and that made me FAR more accurate with the gun than I am with anything else I have fired to this point. The felt recoil was also considerably lower than with the .40's. In fact the felt recoil was no worse than with the .32 auto, and yet the gun was so much larger and more comfortable in my hand that after 100 rounds I wasn't feeling any pain at all, and felt like I could shoot it all day long if I needed to.
    I purchase the Dan Wesson the other day and haven't fired it yet, but I expect when I get to the range to have the same great experience as with the STI I rented, only better being that it is a DW.

10mm
    Dan Wesson Razorback 10mm M1911 (owned)
    I purchased this gun after my experience with the STI M1911. I took it to the range earlier this week, and let me say this thing is one snappy gun. Despite the considerably greater weight of this gun over the .40's I fired before it had nearly as much felt recoil. But that is not much of a surprise considering that 10mm falls between the .357 magnum and .41 magnum in terms of raw power (very close to .41 actually), and the fact that .40 is really just a less powerful version of 10mm. Depsite all that power, and the recoil, it still kicks backwards more than up (which is good), and it sits comfortably in my hand, so it didn't really hurt any to fire 200 rounds through it. Overally I enjoyed firing this gun almost as much as I did the STI, and I was nearly as accurate with it as well. This is the sort of handgun you can use to bring down deer because of the ridiculous power. As a defensive handgun you need to load it with JHP or Nosler because it is so powerful that in FMJ it is one of the few rounds that has a realistic chance of over-penetration. 10mm FMJ can pass straight through two layers of denim and 24" of gelatin, which you won't see with almost any other FMJ out there.

Post imported post

Wow Thanks for all the comments.....Im still looking but leaning towards the 1911...

thanks for all the imput everyone

Rick

Post imported post

I carried a Ruger snubby, .357 magnum revolver for a long time, usually shooting 38sp or +p.

Then one day I got a chance to shoot an XD compact .45 ACP and fell in love with it. There was less perceived recoil than the revolver, and it was so much easier to control. So little muzzle flip that the target was fast reacquired... anyway, I bought one and carry it almost exclusively now.

Should be much easier to shoot than the .44 magnum.

I've not fired the XDM either, in any caliber. Don't know what they wanted to mess with the XD platform for anyway. If it ain't broke, don't fix it! :P
    I will not knowingly initiate force. I am a self owner.

Let the record show that I did not consent to be governed. I did not consent to any constitution. I did not consent to any president. I did not consent to any law except the natural law of "mala en se." I did not consent to the police. Nor any tax. Nor any prohibition of anything. Nor any regulation or licensing of any kind.

Post imported post

arentol wrote:
    .22 (no idea of model/brand) Cheap and easy to fire, fun for plinking because you can do it all day for practically free and with no pain from recoil. No use for anything else really though.
    Hey buddy, I have two little Beretta handguns sitting next to me and you just hurt their feelings. I'll have to quickly get them to the indoor range for some exercise or they'll sit here and sulk all weekend.

Seriously.......a bad guy staring at the business end of a Beretta 950B or 21A might change his attitude about doing harm to others. .22 HV ammo or CorBon .25ACP can turn a little Beretta into a rather nasty critter during an extreme emergency where a gun owner couldn't legally carry a larger gun.

So, kindly don't put down our little friends: a 21A or an older 950B/BS in an Uncle Mike Sidekick #1 pocket holster can make a shopping experience more secure.

Post imported post

GWbiker wrote:
    arentol wrote:
    .22 (no idea of model/brand) Cheap and easy to fire, fun for plinking because you can do it all day for practically free and with no pain from recoil. No use for anything else really though.
    Hey buddy, I have two little Beretta handguns sitting next to me and you just hurt their feelings. I'll have to quickly get them to the indoor range for some exercise or they'll sit here and sulk all weekend.

Seriously.......a bad guy staring at the business end of a Beretta 950B or 21A might change his attitude about doing harm to others. .22 HV ammo or CorBon .25ACP can turn a little Beretta into a rather nasty critter during an extreme emergency where a gun owner couldn't legally carry a larger gun.

So, kindly don't put down our little friends: a 21A or an older 950B/BS in an Uncle Mike Sidekick #1 pocket holster can make a shopping experience more secure.
    +1
    I second you request !

My NAA .22 pocket revolver loaded with Quick Shoks or Stingers is capable of Holding it's own rather well also .... (ask the groundhog that used to live out back)

~~Springfield

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast