• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Whats it like to shoot a .45

XDM OWNER

imported post

Ive never shot a 45. I have a 44 magnum, and a 40 cal XDM andwas thinking about getting a 45. whats the difference bettween ACP and GAP ammo. Whats it like to shoot a 45? How much recoil are we talking about? and Ive seen the Glock compensated pistols. Has anyone had any experience with these weapons? I really like the Glock pistols and If I buy a 45 it more than likely be a glock......

Rick

chiefjason

imported post

Don't know if this will help. My wife prefers to shoot my S&W 45 over my keltec p3at 380. The weight difference in the pistols reduces the barrel lift and felt recoil. Recoil is not too bad. It's uncompensated and most of the recoil is straight back. I can get back on target quick with multiple shots. Don't have too much experience with many of the other calibers. Trying to keep it simple.

jhow1nm2

imported post

I own and shoot a Glock 27 40 S&W. I recently qualified for my CCW on both a .45 1911 and a .45 long barrel revolver. I had never shot either one before. The long barrel was the challenge of the two. The 1911 was a bit heavier and a bit more recoil. I scored a 100 with both for CCW qualification.

Barnett3006

imported post

Of all of the different handguns in various calibers that I have personally shot the 45 ACP is, IMO, the easiest shooting caliber out there. It may be a big, heavy bullet but it is only moving at around 900 Fps.

I have not shot anything in 45 GAP.

smash29

imported post

In my experience the .45 ACP and .45 GAP shoot very much the same with the only difference being the size of the grip necessary for each caliber. I own a Glock 19 in 9mm as well as a G38 in .45 GAP and I picked up the latter because it offered the same size frame as my 9mm. At first I was looking at the Glock 21 in .45 ACP but because the grip was noticably larger (at least to me) than the 9mm/.40 frame I went with the .45 that matched my 9mm, the GAP. GAP ammo is said to be harder to find than ACP but I've found that not to be a problem and the cost difference has been negligable if it exists at all.

GWbiker

imported post

XDM OWNER wrote:
Ive never shot a 45. I have a 44 magnum, and a 40 cal XDM andwas thinking about getting a 45. whats the difference bettween ACP and GAP ammo. Whats it like to shoot a 45? How much recoil are we talking about? and Ive seen the Glock compensated pistols. Has anyone had any experience with these weapons? I really like the Glock pistols and If I buy a 45 it more than likely be a glock...... Rick
Depending on the handgun shooting a .45ACP can be a pleasant experience, or a pain in the........hand.

A P220 and a 1911 will be heavy enough to help soak up the recoil.

A Taurus PT745PRO shooting 230gr .45ACP will sting your hand.

But, if it's blistering pain you're looking for........ try a 18" Mossberg 12gauge with pistol grip.

Dustin

imported post

It all depends on the Gun.

Shooting a 26oz Glock 21 is NOTHING like shooting an All metal 40oz 1911.

1911's chambered in .45 ACP offer the "PUSH" when fired. Their 40oz. empty, so there's more of a push into your arms than a KICK/FLIP you get from a Glock 21. It's actually VERY close to your XDM, with a little less muzzle flip. I know this b/c I also own an XDM, and often fire a SA GI 1911.

I say if you get a .45, make it a 1911.

CrossFire

imported post

My XD45 is an absolute pleasure to shoot. The SA GI 1911 that Dustin mentions is on my list for my next purchase, that or the EMP.

ballester

imported post

45 is more like a boom and a shove where 40 is more of a snappy pop...9mm is snappy to but with less recoil if that makes any sense to you..i shot a g22 and i thought it had alot more recoil then my uspc in 45 which was a smaller gun...my 1911 was a full size 5in and it was a wonderful gun to shoot...heavier is better...the g21 is also a pleasant shooter compared to its 40 cal sister pistols...and any weapon compensated in any way weither its porting or in hk's case with there recoil reduction..will always equal a much more pleasant shooting experience...the only reason i traded my uspc in 45 for my p2000 in 9mm is because i t was getting harder to afford to shoot the 45 over the 9mm.....

so as a guide any full to mid size 1911 or other all metal pistol is gonna be easier on your body then a lite weight plastic pistol of the same size and caliber...or as far as the plastics go..glock\xd\s&w mp\hk pistols are easy to shoot becasue the frames actually flex and help absord the recoil of the round....i had no problem dumping a mag of +p 230 gr 45 out of my hk and keeping the shots in the zone...

IMHO

marshaul

Campaign Veteran
imported post

nuke.jpg

partyncwby

imported post

My 5' tall wife loves my combat commander, very comfortable for her smaller hands and has a nice natural "point of aim". She has no problem putting a box of rounds through it. She hated my .357