• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Whats it like to shoot a .45

arentol

imported post

I got into pistols very recently, starting about two months ago. I have rented a few, and purchased a few as well. Here are my thoughts on everything I have fired so far..

(no idea of model/brand)
Cheap and easy to fire, fun for plinking because you can do it all day for practically free and with no pain from recoil. No use for anything else really though.

.32 Auto
Kel-Tec P32 (owned)
Easy to fire, not much recoil, but still starts to hurt the hand after 100 rounds or so because it is so small. Fantastic BUG though, as you can carry it 24/7 and it is so small and light you almost forget you have it.

.40 S&W
Glock
XD
Sig
Taurus
I tried out all these guns one day, about 25 rounds per gun, 100 total rounds. These guns all hurt a little to fire because the recoil really battered my hands as it snapped the gun up and back really hard with each shot. The only one I was remotely accurate with was the XD, though that was the first one I tried and I might just have been more comfortable at the time since my hand didn't hurt yet. Personally I have no interest in firing .40 ever again since it just was not a fun experience. I understand the benefits, since it sits halfway between 9mm and .45acp, giving you the best of both worlds, more rounds than .45 and more stopping power than 9mm. However, my accuracy with it in a defensive situation would be horrible, and I would rather fire 15 rounds of 9mm fast and accurately, or 8 rounds of .45 fast and accurately than 13 rounds of .40 slowly and accurately or fast and inaccurately.

9mm
Kel-tec PF9 (owned)
This Kel-tec is the second or third lightest 9mm available and so the felt recoil was very close to that of the .40's despite being only 9mm. However, because it is just 9mm it still doesn't hurt as bad as those did. I wouldn't want to fire it all day, but if it was a heavier gun, like even an XD, I think it would be quite fun to fire 9mm regularly. The advantage of this gun is the lightness and the fact it is less than an inch thick, making it easy to carry as a backup gun. I always have this one or my P32 with me and feel a lot better for it, even when I have one of my larger guns as well.

.45 ACP
STI Spartan M1911
Dan Wesson Heritage Razorback M1911 (owned)
I rented the STI one day at the range and immediately fell in love with .45 M1911's. The trigger pull on an M1911 is very short since it is SAO, and that made me FAR more accurate with the gun than I am with anything else I have fired to this point. The felt recoil was also considerably lower than with the .40's. In fact the felt recoil was no worse than with the .32 auto, and yet the gun was so much larger and more comfortable in my hand that after 100 rounds I wasn't feeling any pain at all, and felt like I could shoot it all day long if I needed to.
I purchase the Dan Wesson the other day and haven't fired it yet, but I expect when I get to the range to have the same great experience as with the STI I rented, only better being that it is a DW.

10mm
Dan Wesson Razorback 10mm M1911 (owned)
I purchased this gun after my experience with the STI M1911. I took it to the range earlier this week, and let me say this thing is one snappy gun. Despite the considerably greater weight of this gun over the .40's I fired before it had nearly as much felt recoil. But that is not much of a surprise considering that 10mm falls between the .357 magnum and .41 magnum in terms of raw power (very close to .41 actually), and the fact that .40 is really just a less powerful version of 10mm. Depsite all that power, and the recoil, it still kicks backwards more than up (which is good), and it sits comfortably in my hand, so it didn't really hurt any to fire 200 rounds through it. Overally I enjoyed firing this gun almost as much as I did the STI, and I was nearly as accurate with it as well. This is the sort of handgun you can use to bring down deer because of the ridiculous power. As a defensive handgun you need to load it with JHP or Nosler because it is so powerful that in FMJ it is one of the few rounds that has a realistic chance of over-penetration. 10mm FMJ can pass straight through two layers of denim and 24" of gelatin, which you won't see with almost any other FMJ out there.

MamaLiberty

imported post

I carried a Ruger snubby, .357 magnum revolver for a long time, usually shooting 38sp or +p.

Then one day I got a chance to shoot an XD compact .45 ACP and fell in love with it. There was less perceived recoil than the revolver, and it was so much easier to control. So little muzzle flip that the target was fast reacquired... anyway, I bought one and carry it almost exclusively now.

Should be much easier to shoot than the .44 magnum. :)

I've not fired the XDM either, in any caliber. Don't know what they wanted to mess with the XD platform for anyway. If it ain't broke, don't fix it! :p

GWbiker

imported post

arentol wrote:
.22 (no idea of model/brand) Cheap and easy to fire, fun for plinking because you can do it all day for practically free and with no pain from recoil. No use for anything else really though.
Hey buddy, I have two little Beretta handguns sitting next to me and you just hurt their feelings. I'll have to quickly get them to the indoor range for some exercise or they'll sit here and sulk all weekend.

Seriously.......a bad guy staring at the business end of a Beretta 950B or 21A might change his attitude about doing harm to others. .22 HV ammo or CorBon .25ACP can turn a little Beretta into a rather nasty critter during an extreme emergency where a gun owner couldn't legally carry a larger gun.

So, kindly don't put down our little friends: a 21A or an older 950B/BS in an Uncle Mike Sidekick #1 pocket holster can make a shopping experience more secure.

Springfield45

imported post

GWbiker wrote:
arentol wrote:
.22 (no idea of model/brand) Cheap and easy to fire, fun for plinking because you can do it all day for practically free and with no pain from recoil. No use for anything else really though.
Hey buddy, I have two little Beretta handguns sitting next to me and you just hurt their feelings. I'll have to quickly get them to the indoor range for some exercise or they'll sit here and sulk all weekend.

Seriously.......a bad guy staring at the business end of a Beretta 950B or 21A might change his attitude about doing harm to others. .22 HV ammo or CorBon .25ACP can turn a little Beretta into a rather nasty critter during an extreme emergency where a gun owner couldn't legally carry a larger gun.

So, kindly don't put down our little friends: a 21A or an older 950B/BS in an Uncle Mike Sidekick #1 pocket holster can make a shopping experience more secure.
+1 :D
I second you request !

My NAA .22 pocket revolver loaded with Quick Shoks or Stingers is capable of Holding it's own rather well also .... (ask the groundhog that used to live out back)

~~Springfield

PT111

imported post

Nothing I have ever shot comes closse to my S&W 340PD with a .357 magnum shell in it. The recoil on it has to be felt to be truly understood. :what: With .38 it isn't bad at all but it was all I could do to finish the 5 round cylinder of mags.

The .22 is a fun shooting gun in aalmost any model and do not let anyone deceive you about the dangers. A friend of mine was killed with one accidently from one shot so I know first hand that they are more than toys. I picked up a NAA mini in .22 magnum this weekend at a gun show but haven't had a chance to shoot it. I figured I better get it while the price was still reasonable as everything gun related is going up fast. Thank goodness I alread have most of the guns I need and now am on the want list. ;)

My P3AT has a lot less recoil than I thought it would but it is not a range gun to shoot hundreds of rounds at a time. A Savage double barrel isn't either but I have done it on a dove shoot. My shoulder told me to never do that again so now I use my 1100 for doves. :lol:

Shorts

Lone Star Veteran
imported post

The fullsize steel 1911 shoots like a heavy thump. Very pleasant. I regularly shoot a steel Commander and its about the same..not a smooth a thump, but fine none the less.

SteveInAshand

imported post

If This Helps : I shoot "only" 45acp in hand gun for a little less than 20 years.

I have noticed in my 45 which is very heavy ( Star firestar ) that it's all ammo dependent, by that I mean its strictly a mater of bullet grains / mass and powder charge.

When I shoot target reloads that come out of the pipe at around 900 or so fps it is so tame a little child or very small handed woman can shoot it, for me it was down right boring to shoot low power stuff, and besides its not what I would shoot a BG with so I don't use low power target ammo for any thing but introducing my 45 to people who don't shoot or want to learn how ( after an intorduction with a 22 )

When I 1st shot 45acp it was with about 230 grain typical hard ball and I was impressed with the jump but not impressed with the ability to shoot fast "and" accurate, then I watched IDPA competition type guys shooting and their guns hardly jumped up, ahhhh so basically it was not the ammo I was shooting.

The standard Remington green box or UMC yellow box, or Blazer type ball ammo is a lot different it makes the pistol jump, bark & puff a "lot" more that comp target ammo.

The high end self defense ammo seems to be just under the Remington / UMC type practice ammo in recoil but without a lot of the big yellow flash.

So its primarily an ammo thing, all others things being equal.

As another bother who is a very experienced shooter posted above that the 9 & 40 has a different kind of felt recoil than the 45acp, I agree

Hope that helps

.40 Cal

State Researcher
imported post

I prefer .45 as it is more comfortable to shoot if you shoot a lot, and expansion is not an issue for self defense. .45 cal will never be smaller than .45 cal... although there's nothing wrong with a little .40Cal every now and then, just a little too much for some to handle;).

inbox485

imported post

XDM OWNER wrote:
Ive never shot a 45. I have a 44 magnum, and a 40 cal XDM andwas thinking about getting a 45. whats the difference bettween ACP and GAP ammo. Whats it like to shoot a 45? How much recoil are we talking about? and Ive seen the Glock compensated pistols. Has anyone had any experience with these weapons? I really like the Glock pistols and If I buy a 45 it more than likely be a glock......

Rick
9/40 kicks, 45 shoves. All are lighter than 44 mag and none are hard to manage. GAP and ACP are supposed to feel the same.

Sonora Rebel

imported post

I shoot my.45 acp (1911-A1)'n .45LC (Ruger Vaquero) one handed... 'n I'm no monster in size. (5'11" @185#). No fancy grips 'n stuff... you just have to hang onto 'em. I dunno what people seem scared of.

Now a .44 mag, .454 Casul'n a .50 S&Ware different animals... They're brutal on recoil.

All in all a 2" .38spl seems to kick more... as does my Mak 9x18mm.

JBURGII

imported post

Loved my .45, plan on another soon. Currently carry a .38 S&W K frame.. great pistol but sure do miss the .45. Recoil thumpy but not painful.. found it easy to reacquire target.

Although I do have my eye on a .45 Ruger Blackhawk... hmm..

JBURGII

imported post

Sonora Rebel wrote:
I shoot my.45 acp (1911-A1)'n .45LC (Ruger Vaquero) one handed... 'n I'm no monster in size. (5'11" @185#). No fancy grips 'n stuff... you just have to hang onto 'em. I dunno what people seem scared of.

Now a .44 mag, .454 Casul'n a .50 S&Ware different animals... They're brutal on recoil.

Are you using +P in the .38???

Alexcabbie

imported post

marshaul wrote:
nuke.jpg
That's what you get for stuffing yourself silly with those California burritos, marsh. Next time maybe use Beano.

Sonora Rebel

imported post

JBURGII wrote:
Sonora Rebel wrote:

Are you using +P in the .38???
No... but both the wife's Charter Arms 'n my ol Mod 36 kick more than either ofmy .45's. Smaller gripsI sp'ose'.

Tomahawk

imported post

I have three firearms chambered for .45 ACP:

1911A1 (Taurus PT1911): Like everyone says, it's a shove and very pleasant to shoot. Very controllable and one of JM Browning's greatest designs. Whatever pistol you settle on, you'll want one of these in your collection someday anyway, you really can't go wrong.

Star Firestar: Similar to a compact 1911, but it's got a fatter grip and my pinky finger is halfway off the end. A heavy, single-acting semiautopistol it rises a bit more than the 1911 but it's still very easy to control with no pain to speak of. I also find it very easy to aim naturally, even in rapid fire. One of my favorite pistols.

Ruger Blackhawk .45LC/.45ACP convertible: This single-acting modern version of a Colt Peacemaker has an 8" barrel and target sights. It's curved, wooden-stocked grip isn't quite as comfortable as a 1911, but you get used to it. With no moving parts after ignition, there is nothing to eat up any recoil energy, and the barrel is fairly high above the wrist, giving it a long moment arm. The curved grip tends to help the pistol rotate upward as well, so in this pistol the .45 ACP feels like a harder recoil. (.45LC is an even bigger kick, with a bigger blast as well!).

To PT111: Enjoy your NAA .22WMR! They are very fun to shoot, but they are louder than you'd expect for a small cartridge.

The Wolfhound

imported post

Fired a .44 many years ago. Fired a .45 then and now. Little comparison in felt recoil. .44 was massive, .45 was noticable. Get a peice with a grip that fits your hand well and you are good to go. Since I have seen little or no .45GAP ammo lately, getting one might gaurantee you an undesired and undeserved "Safe Queen". Just a thought.

Big Boy

imported post

I shoot an XD45 Compact (5in barrel). I actually find .45 much easier to handle than .40. .40 (at least to me) snapps my muzzle high and takes me more time to get control of it. It's a very high velocity round. .45 is bigger :cool: and slower. No problem with that though, still penetrates just fine due to it's weight, and yet again, is bigger. And we all know bigger is better, as long as kept in practicality, and the .45 is still very practical. .45 (for me) pushes more of it's energy into a leniar line back through my wrists and has a slower more controllable muzzle flip. I seem to bring it right back on target, but that could also just be the gun.

Yeah 1911's are very nice, I like them a lot. However if you lean to polymer based guns, glocks, xd's, whatever, don't let the .45 scare you away from them. They are still quite easily managed.

.45ACP and .45 GAP are a little differnet differnet. .45 GAP stands for (Glock Automatic Pistol) is a round Glock had developed for them so that they could still make .45 compact guns with the same smaller frame size as 9mm and .40S&W. It is a little bit slower in velocity compared to the ACP. Some people like it. I don't. I'm just not fond of it, I've seen tons of balistic comparisons, and it can come close, but it's still lower velocity than ACP. I really do think .45 ACP hits it right on the button. It's still very controllable while maintaing mean knock down power. If you're really scared of recoil go shoot a 10mm :lol: