Thread: Ammo possession question

Post imported post

My name is Ben. I live south of Flint. I am 18 and new to OCing.I have aquestion.

I may be wrong in my understanding of the law, but I could use some direction.

It is my understanding thatsince Iam 18, it is not legal for me to purchase or be in possession ofhandgun ammo. If this is correct how do I legally OC?

Post imported post

You can't purchase it from a FFL dealer, unless it's for a rifle, like a pistol caliber carbine.

It's totally legal for you to own and carry. Michigan law allows it. Your options are to lie and say it's for a Hi Point carbine or something, or to have someone else buy it for you, the latter being the way I believe is legal. (You could also actually buy a carbine, but that would probably be a bit much)

Then, when you turn 21, and they ask "handgun or long gun?" you can give them some crap and say "machine gun".

A good way to save money, save the hassle at your age, and to have lots of ammo, is to take up reloading.
    Answer every question about open carry in Michigan you ever had with one convenient and free book- http://libertyisforeveryone.com/open-carry-resources/

The complete and utter truth can be challenged from every direction and it will always hold up. Accordingly there are few greater displays of illegitimacy than to attempt to impede free thought and communication.

Post imported post

So I would have to lie and say the 40s&w in my usp is for my Hipoint?

My question is can I get in trouble having a pistol mag loaded, with pistol ammo, that I am not supposed to be in possession of?

Thanks for your help. And nice loophole in buying handgun ammo. I'll have to try that.

Post imported post

ben_I wrote:
    My question is can I get in trouble having a pistol mag loaded, with pistol ammo, that I am not supposed to be in possession of?
    no you can not. there is nothing that says you can not be in possession of pistol ammo...

you could always just get your self an AK or an AR pistol...

Post imported post

Or you could say it's for your Beretta carbine, or any other rifle in that caliber.

Or you could have your mom/dad/brother/sister/uncle/aunt/grandparent/friend who is 21+ buy it for you, which again, I believe is legal. (I may be wrong, and I'm sure someone will correct me if I am)

Again, you will NOT be in any violations of the law for possessing the ammo. State law allows it, and federal law only regulates who can sell it to who, not who can possess it.

I've never heard of an OCer under the age of 21 getting asked by the cops where and how he or she got his or her ammo. But, if it did happen by some fluke, as with all police fishing expedition questions, KEEP YOUR MOUTH SHUT! Also use the wash rinse repeat method that is stickied, as well as the other suggestions outlined in this forum. If you do all that, you can avoid worrying about this idiocy.
    Answer every question about open carry in Michigan you ever had with one convenient and free book- http://libertyisforeveryone.com/open-carry-resources/

The complete and utter truth can be challenged from every direction and it will always hold up. Accordingly there are few greater displays of illegitimacy than to attempt to impede free thought and communication.

Post imported post

Thanks alot for the help guys. I plan on starting to OC asap.

MOC Charter Member Westland, Michigan, USA

Post imported post

ben_I wrote:
    Please start OCing asap after you have learned the laws about it inside and out.

Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter Venator's Avatar

Post imported post

ben_I wrote:
    Oh please be careful of potential pitfalls. Read, read and read some more about OC. I know it's not fair, but the majority of LEO interaction is with people 18-28 years old. LEO's just like to harass young people. SO know your rights inside and out. Read wash rinse repeat.
    An Amazon best seller "MY PARENTS OPEN CARRY" http://www.myparentsopencarry.com/

*The information contained above is not meant to be legal advice, but is solely intended as a starting point for further research. These are my opinions, if you have further questions it is advisable to seek out an attorney that is well versed in firearm law.

Post imported post

Yes I have read "wash rinse repeat" I plan on knowing the laws inside and out. When I say asap I mean as soon as I feel confident that if confronted about it I'll know the right things to say. This is a great forum and I'll be sure to stick around.

Post imported post

If you don't really think you are knowledgeable enough yet, remember, you can easily go a meeting, or arrange one near to you. Talking to those of us who have been doing this for years would be a good way to make sure that you know all the laws.