Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Shooting in Botetourt

Post imported post

Didn't see the posted yet. 911 audio is in the link: http://www.roanoke.com/news/breaking/wb/201085

Post imported post

wow that was intense...

When seconds count...

Post imported post

My roommate (very pro 2A) is from Botetourt (5.5 miles by road from this incident according to him) and just last week he was talking about how we need to make sure we lock our dead-bolts at night here in Blacksburg as lately we've fallen out of the habit. In the course of that conversation he made the comment that at his parents house they lock their doors, but 'they' (Botetourt residents) don't worry too much about forced entry situations due to his estimate of 9 out of 9.5 households having weapons easily accesable.

Point proven.

Post imported post

Dispatcher: "Now, I want you to tell your husband to put the gun down."

HAH. That's a good one. If a criminal like that had smashed through the door and forced his way into my home, I can guarantee you that my gun wouldn't leave my hands until the police came. What if he had accomplices hiding in the backyard who were waiting to rush in? Why did the dispatcher even say to do that?

Post imported post

It sounded like the police were already there, but hadn't moved in to take control ("Shots fired from inside the house").

I would probably wait to put down my sidearm until an officer at the scene directed me to (rather than the dispatch).

Post imported post

WOW! I can't believe the dispatcher would try to tellthe homeownerto puthis gundown when sheKNEW the BG wasn't dead yet. If the thughad been wired on drugs, it wouldn't have been surprising at all to see him get up and keep attacking after only being shot once. +1 to the wife for not just accepting what the dispatcher told her to do as good advice.

Have there been any reports that say how long it took police to get to the scene after the shots were fired?

Post imported post

mercutio545 wrote:

HAH. That's a good one. If a criminal like that had smashed through the door and forced his way into my home, I can guarantee you that my gun wouldn't leave my hands until the police came. What if he had accomplices hiding in the backyard who were waiting to rush in? Why did the dispatcher even say to do that?
    I really like when the dispatcher says "If he's been shot he's not getting up". A criminal on drugs can do someamazing things. I have seen suspects that took six police officers to put down.
    Yes I carry a Bible and a Gun, your point.
    Vindiciae Contra Tyrannos (meaning: "A defence of liberty against tyrants")
    Benjamin Franklin said, "A government that does not trust it's citizens with guns is a government that should not be trusted."

Post imported post

Stupid dispatcher! Hell if I am putting my gun down in that situation:what:

Post imported post

CRF250rider1000 wrote:
    maybe the dispatcher meant "put the gun down to reload"

Post imported post

hsmith wrote:
    CRF250rider1000 wrote:
    maybe the dispatcher meant "put the gun down to reload"

ROTFL:P

Post imported post

Glad to hear they're not going to charge the man. You never know sometimes. When I took my CHP class they had a lawyer come in to talk to us (the best part of the whole deal). He told us of a horror story from Roanoke where a man shot a guy *while the BG was standing over him in his bed with a hatchet*!! He then called 911 during which he called the now dead BG a "cockroach". The CA decided to prosecute because of this.

His advice is to tell 911 nothing other than there's someone in my house send the police. And if it comes to shooting the BG please send an ambulance quckly. Nothing else.

The GG above of course won at trial but it cost him $50K.

Post imported post

This needs to be posted EVERYWHERE. Very intense situation, the perp. even knew the dude was armed, atleast he was informed but if he could comprehend it at that level of intoxication is debatable.

Although I missed the actuall gun shot in the audio, I did hear the glass break though.

Post imported post

Pagan wrote:
    This needs to be posted EVERYWHERE. Very intense situation, the perp. even knew the dude was armed, atleast he was informed but if he could comprehend it at that level of intoxication is debatable.

Although I missed the actuall gun shot in the audio, I did hear the glass break though.
    Four times the legal limit is only .24%, not exactly stupor drunk. I'm sure he knew what was going on and was just mad enough not to care. Suicide by cop, or homeowner....

Campaign Veteran

Post imported post

The BG was warned that he would be shot if he persisted. The door was glass, so he presumably could see the homeowner inside with the gun ready to defend himself and his family. Once again, the cops were there after the incident was largely over, illustrating the need to be ready to defend yourself and not put your safety in the hands of another.

This should help with some of the fence sitters I know. Thanks for sharing.

Find businesses that are pro gun...and those that aren't. Friend or Foe - Version 2 is online!

Western Prince William County, Virginia, USA

Post imported post

Neplusultra wrote:
    Glad to hear they're not going to charge the man. You never know sometimes. When I took my CHP class they had a lawyer come in to talk to us (the best part of the whole deal). He told us of a horror story from Roanoke where a man shot a guy *while the BG was standing over him in his bed with a hatchet*!! He then called 911 during which he called the now dead BG a "cockroach". The CA decided to prosecute because of this.

His advice is to tell 911 nothing other than there's someone in my house send the police. And if it comes to shooting the BG please send an ambulance quckly. Nothing else.

The GG above of course won at trial but it cost him $50K.
    The homeowner should have turned around and sued the pants off of the "CA" to get his $50K back and then some.

In the final seconds of your life, just before your killer is about to dispatch you to that great eternal darkness, what would you rather have in your hand? A cell phone or a gun?

Si vis pacem, para bellum.

America First!

Post imported post

Wolf_shadow wrote:
    mercutio545 wrote:

I really like when the dispatcher says "If he's been shot he's not getting up". A criminal on drugs can do someamazing things. I have seen suspects that took six police officers to put down.
    Read this thread earlier and just saw a report on Fox News about it. After the segments of the 911 call were played one of the two newscasters seemed to think the 911 operators comment aboutputting the gun downwas not good. Hesaid the 911 operator really didn't know if the man would get back up and attack again.

I love FNC. I keep one tv with FNC on24/7.
    Revelation 1911 - And I saw heaven opened, and behold a white horse; and he that sat upon him was called Faithful and True, and in righteousness he doth judge and make war.

Post imported post

Sheriff wrote:
    Neplusultra wrote:
    Four times the legal limit is only .24%, not exactly stupor drunk. I'm sure he knew what was going on and was just mad enough not to care. Suicide by cop, or homeowner....
    The legal threshold for driving is .08.

So four times what I assume they are referring to as the "legal limit" would be .32

So.......... this is pretty interesting:

Specific Effects
    (related to the Blood Alcohol Concentration (BAC))
    The effects of alcohol intoxication are greatly influenced by individual variations among users. Some users may become intoxicated at a much lower Blood Alcohol Concentration (BAC) level than is shown.
    • 0.25 BAC: Needs assistance in walking; total mental confusion. Dysphoria with nausea and some vomiting.
    Well, .06 x 4 = .24% I must have been 0.25% at the time :^). But I do believe these numbers are low are they not? I remember when I was young three beers got me pretty drunk, although I am heavier now three beers have nothing near the same effect.....

Post imported post

If this happened in the District

Dispatcher: M'am, Obama is President and Change is here.. Tell the man on the porch Obama's Change is on the way.

Woman: Oh my God. He's got the wrought Iron Chairs and is counting down.

Dispatcher: Tell your husband to put down the gun and tell the intruder his stimulus package is on the way. No need to resort to violence.

Woman: He yelling something about Vietnam.

Dispatcher: Ask him if his name is John Kerry.

Woman: He's breaking in

Dispatcher: M'am your husband will be going to jail for a long time if that was John Kerry.

Post imported post

Neplusultra wrote:
    Four times the legal limit is only .24%, not exactly stupor drunk.
    I disagree on two points: 1) .24 is still pretty damn drunk, and B) I'm pretty sure the legal limit (for driving) in Virginia is .08, which would mean his BAC was in the neighborhood, of .32%. That's getting pretty close to the level that's considered lethal.

Post imported post

TexasNative wrote:
    Neplusultra wrote:
    Four times the legal limit is only .24%, not exactly stupor drunk.
    I disagree on two points: 1) .24 is still pretty damn drunk, and B) I'm pretty sure the legal limit (for driving) in Virginia is .08, which would mean his BAC was in the neighborhood, of .32%. That's getting pretty close to the level that's considered lethal.
    ditto. VA law states the legally intoxicated for anyone 21 and over is .08%. For under 21, legally intoxicated is .02%

Therefore I can only conclude that .32% was the BAC that they were referring to. That is pretty darn drunk. Different alcohol levels effect people differently. I have friends that weigh the same as me (150lbs) and can drink 3 beers to my 10 and we will both be about the same as far as drunkenness goes. It really doesn't matter what the BAC is because alcohol effects different people in different ways. Just as some drunk people are happy drunks and some are irate.

Post imported post

Ten beers? Did you play that Comanche chief in "Outlaw Josey Wales?"

Post imported post

Editor's note: This audio represents close to 13 Minutes of conversation ....

as someone said earliler when seconds matter...

Post imported post

mercutio545 wrote:

Exactly, if it was me I would have told the dispatcher that the only way the gun is going away was when the police to show up and not a second sooner.

Post imported post

OMG, how could the dispatcher not tell him to put the trigger lock back on
    asap before someone gets hurt.

But the good news... at least he had his pants on.

As for 4 times the limit.... 0.02 x 4 = 0.08 no where did it say he didn't have
    a commercial licence. But what do you expect from the MSM bunch, if a gun
    is involved then there is no need to fact check a story, just slant it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast