• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Shooting in Botetourt

SaltH2OHokie

imported post

My roommate (very pro 2A) is from Botetourt (5.5 miles by road from this incident according to him) and just last week he was talking about how we need to make sure we lock our dead-bolts at night here in Blacksburg as lately we've fallen out of the habit. In the course of that conversation he made the comment that at his parents house they lock their doors, but 'they' (Botetourt residents) don't worry too much about forced entry situations due to his estimate of 9 out of 9.5 households having weapons easily accesable.

Point proven.

mercutio545

imported post

Dispatcher: "Now, I want you to tell your husband to put the gun down."

HAH. That's a good one. If a criminal like that had smashed through the door and forced his way into my home, I can guarantee you that my gun wouldn't leave my hands until the police came. What if he had accomplices hiding in the backyard who were waiting to rush in? Why did the dispatcher even say to do that?

kle

imported post

It sounded like the police were already there, but hadn't moved in to take control ("Shots fired from inside the house").

I would probably wait to put down my sidearm until an officer at the scene directed me to (rather than the dispatch).

VApatriot

imported post

WOW! I can't believe the dispatcher would try to tellthe homeownerto puthis gundown when sheKNEW the BG wasn't dead yet. If the thughad been wired on drugs, it wouldn't have been surprising at all to see him get up and keep attacking after only being shot once. +1 to the wife for not just accepting what the dispatcher told her to do as good advice.

Have there been any reports that say how long it took police to get to the scene after the shots were fired?

Wolf_shadow

Activist Member
imported post

mercutio545 wrote:

HAH. That's a good one. If a criminal like that had smashed through the door and forced his way into my home, I can guarantee you that my gun wouldn't leave my hands until the police came. What if he had accomplices hiding in the backyard who were waiting to rush in? Why did the dispatcher even say to do that?
I really like when the dispatcher says "If he's been shot he's not getting up". A criminal on drugs can do someamazing things. I have seen suspects that took six police officers to put down. :uhoh:

Neplusultra

imported post

Glad to hear they're not going to charge the man. You never know sometimes. When I took my CHP class they had a lawyer come in to talk to us (the best part of the whole deal). He told us of a horror story from Roanoke where a man shot a guy *while the BG was standing over him in his bed with a hatchet*!! He then called 911 during which he called the now dead BG a "cockroach". The CA decided to prosecute because of this.

His advice is to tell 911 nothing other than there's someone in my house send the police. And if it comes to shooting the BG please send an ambulance quckly. Nothing else.

The GG above of course won at trial but it cost him $50K.

Pagan

imported post

This needs to be posted EVERYWHERE. Very intense situation, the perp. even knew the dude was armed, atleast he was informed but if he could comprehend it at that level of intoxication is debatable.

Although I missed the actuall gun shot in the audio, I did hear the glass break though.

Neplusultra

imported post

Pagan wrote:
This needs to be posted EVERYWHERE. Very intense situation, the perp. even knew the dude was armed, atleast he was informed but if he could comprehend it at that level of intoxication is debatable.

Although I missed the actuall gun shot in the audio, I did hear the glass break though.
Four times the legal limit is only .24%, not exactly stupor drunk. I'm sure he knew what was going on and was just mad enough not to care. Suicide by cop, or homeowner....

bnkrazy

Campaign Veteran
imported post

The BG was warned that he would be shot if he persisted. The door was glass, so he presumably could see the homeowner inside with the gun ready to defend himself and his family. Once again, the cops were there after the incident was largely over, illustrating the need to be ready to defend yourself and not put your safety in the hands of another.

This should help with some of the fence sitters I know. Thanks for sharing.

SouthernBoy

Western Prince William County, Virginia, USA
imported post

Neplusultra wrote:
Glad to hear they're not going to charge the man. You never know sometimes. When I took my CHP class they had a lawyer come in to talk to us (the best part of the whole deal). He told us of a horror story from Roanoke where a man shot a guy *while the BG was standing over him in his bed with a hatchet*!! He then called 911 during which he called the now dead BG a "cockroach". The CA decided to prosecute because of this.

His advice is to tell 911 nothing other than there's someone in my house send the police. And if it comes to shooting the BG please send an ambulance quckly. Nothing else.

The GG above of course won at trial but it cost him $50K.

The homeowner should have turned around and sued the pants off of the "CA" to get his $50K back and then some.

mobeewan

imported post

Wolf_shadow wrote:
mercutio545 wrote:

I really like when the dispatcher says "If he's been shot he's not getting up". A criminal on drugs can do someamazing things. I have seen suspects that took six police officers to put down. :uhoh:

Read this thread earlier and just saw a report on Fox News about it. After the segments of the 911 call were played one of the two newscasters seemed to think the 911 operators comment aboutputting the gun downwas not good. Hesaid the 911 operator really didn't know if the man would get back up and attack again.

I love FNC. I keep one tv with FNC on24/7.

Sheriff

imported post

http://www.wsls.com/sls/news/local/article/man_killed_in_botetourt_co._break-in_was_severely_drunk/33166/

Man killed in Botetourt Co. break-in

Severely drunk. That’s how the Botetourt County Sheriff’s Office describes the man killed during a break-in attempt at a home in Troutville this past Friday night.

Deputies say Jerry Lee Jones Jr. lived about two miles away from the home that he tried to break into.

According to investigators, Jones Jr. was drinking heavily, and had become violent with a friend in the friend’s car. Deputies say the friend forced Jones Jr. out of the car, near the home that Jones Jr. tried to break into.

Sheriff Ronnie Sprinkle says the owner of that home is Jody Hoover. Deputies say Hoover shot Jones Jr.

Hoover will not be charged. Commonwealth’s Attorney Joel Branscom says the shooting was a “justifiable homicide.“

The 911 tapes reveal what went on that night. You can listen to them.....

http://www.wsls.com/sls/news/local/article/full_911_call_from_deadly_self-defense_shooting/33181/

Sheriff

imported post

Yeah. I'm an idiot. I looked, but did not see the other thread! :lol:

Thank God the man had a gun to protect himself and his family!

Sheriff

imported post

mercutio545 wrote:
If a criminal like that had smashed through the door and forced his way into my home, I can guarantee you that my gun wouldn't leave my hands until the police came. What if he had accomplices hiding in the backyard who were waiting to rush in? Why did the dispatcher even say to do that?

Not only that, suppose the shootee somehow gets up, enters the home and goes for the gun laying in the floor?

I think the dispatcher could have given him some better directions...

say perhaps, "Sir, hide the gun in a safe place real quick! Do it now, sir!"