• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Shooting in Botetourt

Sheriff

imported post

Neplusultra wrote:

Four times the legal limit is only .24%, not exactly stupor drunk. I'm sure he knew what was going on and was just mad enough not to care. Suicide by cop, or homeowner....

The legal threshold for driving is .08.

So four times what I assume they are referring to as the "legal limit" would be .32

So.......... this is pretty interesting:

Specific Effects
(related to the Blood Alcohol Concentration (BAC))
The effects of alcohol intoxication are greatly influenced by individual variations among users. Some users may become intoxicated at a much lower Blood Alcohol Concentration (BAC) level than is shown.

• 0.02-0.03 BAC: No loss of coordination, slight euphoria and loss of shyness. Depressant effects are not apparent.

• 0.04-0.06 BAC: Feeling of well-being, relaxation, lower inhibitions, sensation of warmth. Euphoria. Some minor impairment of reasoning and memory, lowering of caution.

• 0.07-0.09 BAC: Slight impairment of balance, speech, vision, reaction time, and hearing. Euphoria. Judgement and self- control are reduced, and caution, reason and memory are impaired.

• 0.10-0.125 BAC: Significant impairment of motor coordination and loss of good judgement. Speech may be slurred; balance, vision, reaction time and hearing will be impaired. Euphoria. It is illegal to operate a motor vehicle at this level of intoxication.

• 0.13-0.15 BAC: Gross motor impairment and lack of physical control. Blurred vision and major loss of balance. Euphoria is reduced and dysphoria is beginning to appear.

• 0.16-0.20 BAC: Dysphoria (anxiety, restlessness) predominates, nausea may appear. The drinker has the appearance of a "sloppy drunk."

• 0.25 BAC: Needs assistance in walking; total mental confusion. Dysphoria with nausea and some vomiting.

• 0.30 BAC: Loss of consciousness.

• 0.40 BAC and up: Onset of coma, possible death due to respiratory arrest.

Neplusultra

imported post

Sheriff wrote:
Neplusultra wrote:

Four times the legal limit is only .24%, not exactly stupor drunk. I'm sure he knew what was going on and was just mad enough not to care. Suicide by cop, or homeowner....

The legal threshold for driving is .08.

So four times what I assume they are referring to as the "legal limit" would be .32

So.......... this is pretty interesting:

Specific Effects
(related to the Blood Alcohol Concentration (BAC))
The effects of alcohol intoxication are greatly influenced by individual variations among users. Some users may become intoxicated at a much lower Blood Alcohol Concentration (BAC) level than is shown.
  • 0.25 BAC: Needs assistance in walking; total mental confusion. Dysphoria with nausea and some vomiting.

Well, .06 x 4 = .24% I must have been 0.25% at the time :^). But I do believe these numbers are low are they not? I remember when I was young three beers got me pretty drunk, although I am heavier now three beers have nothing near the same effect.....

Virginiaplanter

imported post

If this happened in the District

Dispatcher: M'am, Obama is President and Change is here.. Tell the man on the porch Obama's Change is on the way.

Woman: Oh my God. He's got the wrought Iron Chairs and is counting down.

Dispatcher: Tell your husband to put down the gun and tell the intruder his stimulus package is on the way. No need to resort to violence.

Woman: He yelling something about Vietnam.

Dispatcher: Ask him if his name is John Kerry.

Woman: He's breaking in

Dispatcher: M'am your husband will be going to jail for a long time if that was John Kerry.

TexasNative

imported post

Neplusultra wrote:
Four times the legal limit is only .24%, not exactly stupor drunk.
I disagree on two points: 1) .24 is still pretty damn drunk, and B) I'm pretty sure the legal limit (for driving) in Virginia is .08, which would mean his BAC was in the neighborhood, of .32%. That's getting pretty close to the level that's considered lethal.

CRF250rider1000

imported post

TexasNative wrote:
Neplusultra wrote:
Four times the legal limit is only .24%, not exactly stupor drunk.
I disagree on two points: 1) .24 is still pretty damn drunk, and B) I'm pretty sure the legal limit (for driving) in Virginia is .08, which would mean his BAC was in the neighborhood, of .32%. That's getting pretty close to the level that's considered lethal.
ditto. VA law states the legally intoxicated for anyone 21 and over is .08%. For under 21, legally intoxicated is .02%

Therefore I can only conclude that .32% was the BAC that they were referring to. That is pretty darn drunk. Different alcohol levels effect people differently. I have friends that weigh the same as me (150lbs) and can drink 3 beers to my 10 and we will both be about the same as far as drunkenness goes. It really doesn't matter what the BAC is because alcohol effects different people in different ways. Just as some drunk people are happy drunks and some are irate.

Sheriff

imported post

Neplusultra wrote:
But I do believe these numbers are low are they not? I remember when I was young three beers got me pretty drunk, although I am heavier now three beers have nothing near the same effect.....
The numbers are for what should be classified as "average" or "normal" behavoir. But obviously alcohol does affect different people in different ways. I think having a BAC of .32 means the stupid criminal was pretty accustomed to drinking heavily and his system was handling it better than most people would have. The fact that it took him so long to get through he door indicates he was still seriously under the influence though, IMHO.

my-name-is-john

imported post

Editor's note: This audio represents close to 13 Minutes of conversation ....

as someone said earliler when seconds matter...

Spectre

imported post

mercutio545 wrote:
Dispatcher: "Now, I want you to tell your husband to put the gun down."

HAH. That's a good one. If a criminal like that had smashed through the door and forced his way into my home, I can guarantee you that my gun wouldn't leave my hands until the police came. What if he had accomplices hiding in the backyard who were waiting to rush in? Why did the dispatcher even say to do that?

Exactly, if it was me I would have told the dispatcher that the only way the gun is going away was when the police to show up and not a second sooner.

Sheriff

imported post

I'm bored. I have no life. :)

So, I am siting here listening to the various tapes of the incident again. I think the dispatcher in this call needs a little more training. I would never tell a person the suspect is not going to be getting back up if he has been shot. And if I was a sheriff or police chief, I wouldn't want my dispatchers telling people this as well. :banghead:

SlackwareRobert

imported post

OMG, how could the dispatcher not tell him to put the trigger lock back on
asap before someone gets hurt.

But the good news... at least he had his pants on.:lol:

As for 4 times the limit.... 0.02 x 4 = 0.08 no where did it say he didn't have
a commercial licence. But what do you expect from the MSM bunch, if a gun
is involved then there is no need to fact check a story, just slant it.

CRF250rider1000

imported post

SlackwareRobert wrote:
As for 4 times the limit.... 0.02 x 4 = 0.08 no where did it say he didn't have
a commercial licence.
I would hope that he wouldn't be doing things like that at .08% considering the average person can drive up until that!:what:

He is referring to a CDL or commercial driver's license which is required for anything 26000lb GVWR and up I believe.

flightmedic

imported post

"The homeowner should have turned around and sued the pants off of the "CA" to get his $50K back and then some."

A prosecutor is immune from civil liability from actions taken while prosecuting a case. This immunity includes 42 USC 1983 actions.

ChinChin

imported post

"Tell your husband to put the gun down."

To wit my response would have been "F that noise; you have the responding officers announce themselves and THEN the gun will be holstered."

I've seen countless videos where an officer is shotat during a nighttime traffic incident and the BG's go scurrying away in the brush, unknown if they were hit during retrun fire or not. I don't see the officers putting *their* gun away and waiting for backup to arrive.

Officer safety doesn't trump my safety.

t11spanner

imported post

Being a dispatcher, the "Put the gun down" advice would not be given. We have no clue as to the extent of injuries, nor whether their is another criminal waiting.

Proper notification to the responding officers of the discharge of a weaponis MANDATORY. Along with the location of the intruder and the victims, that would be collected from the caller.

When the officers arrive, the dispatcher should inform the caller that they have arrived and to secure the weapon when told to.

We as dispatchers can only relay information to both the responding officers and callers.

The officers in the field will do what they have to, too secure the scene for their safety.

My personal advice to the caller would be to listen to all the commands that the officers give when they arrive, and possibly, depending on department policy, have the disconnect the call so that the caller can listen to the commands of the officers.

Yes, these types of calls are trying to the dispatchers too, but proper training and repitition of training will keep mistakes like "Put the gun down" from happening.

Carl

Neplusultra

imported post

thrasymachus wrote:
"The homeowner should have turned around and sued the pants off of the "CA" to get his $50K back and then some."

A prosecutor is immune from civil liability from actions taken while prosecuting a case. This immunity includes 42 USC 1983 actions.
Well I'm not sure about that, remember Nifong and the Duke lacross players. But you'd have to prove malice or negligence of duty or something like that. IANAL if you can't tell.