• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Recent Open Carry Citizens

jtc424

imported post

Just wanted to start a thread on recent Open Carry instances in CT so that those who are on the fence (myself included) can make a more educated decision on whether or not to Open Carry.

Please include:

Town(s):

Method of Carry:

Any issues/ or other interesting stories:

uskrusader

imported post

don't let the absence of replies make you think there's no OC in CT.

There are a few here who do....I'm still mustering up the courage...or brains to do it and to do it right.

I'm hoping the Ed Peruta case/ruling will help us out. In the meantime there are some tips I can give....andletters I suggestto carry with you while OCing.

Also, I'm hoping CCDL will plan a collective OC event with LE and media coverage. Safety in numbers, public eye, etc.

I could post more....but its bedtime!

cheers,

romma

imported post

We will hopefully plan an Open Carry even soon after we have a solid footing with CCDL.

I don't open carry, but I would like the option. I would really like to not get arrested for blowing concealment. That is the part of open carry that appeals to me.

Fritter60

imported post

I do open carry sometimes, and the best piece of advise i can give you is to dress nicely. It might be because of my age but I always got less looks when dressed nicer

Hef

imported post

Newtown, Bethel, Brookfield, Danbury, Wilton, Monroe, New Milford

1911 OWB, Usually in black dress pants, dress shoes, and white French-cuffed shirt and a tie.

Never had a complaint, except from my own family, who were promptly told to STFU. Never got a second glance from an LEO.

CTSAS.INFO

imported post

I do not open carry. I live in CT, work and travel about in the Greater New Haven, Greater Waterbury and Greater Bridgeport areas and occasionally Greater Hartford. Towns there are all "anti-open carry"

I am aware of instances like this: a gun club member informed me he was pulled over in Naugatuck on Rte 63 some months ago and was pulled over because a police officer caught a glimpse of his holstered Glock under his jacket; not because he committed any moving violation. After some checking and an "all clear" from a patrol supervisor, and a lecture from the patrolman he was allowed to go and was given his gun back. Apparently the wind had caused his waist length jacket to billow up - exposing the lower portion of the holstered pistol. Note: no person had called police to report or complain.

On those instances when I do carry, it is usually a Charter Arms Bulldog .44 Special with a 2-1/2" barrel, inside the pants holster; or .38 S&W Bodyguard the same way.

Carry ammo: usually Federal 200 grain LSWC HP for the .44or 158 gr LSWC HP for the .38

I've also begun occasionally carrying a Ruger LCP with W-W whitebox ball (recommended by tech Joel Kramer of Ruger). My LCP did need repair to work reliably and has now gone 300 rds without a single failure to feed, extract or eject.

dwayner79

imported post

uskrusader wrote:

There are a few here who do....I'm still mustering up the courage...or brains to do it and to do it right.

I'm hoping the Ed Peruta case/ruling will help us out.  In the meantime there are some tips I can give....and letters I suggest to carry with you while OCing. 

Also, I'm hoping CCDL will plan a collective OC event with LE and media coverage.  Safety in numbers, public eye, etc.

cheers,

I started to the other night, and chickened out... (actually it was pretty cold, so I put a coat on that covered the majority of my XD40 in a Blackhawk Serpa OWB holster)

usk, I am very curious of the letters you carry with you. Can you send?

dwayner79 _at_ gmail _dot_ com

Lenny Benedetto

imported post

dwayner79 wrote:
uskrusader wrote:

I'm hoping the Ed Peruta case/ruling will help us out. In the meantime there are some tips I can give....andletters I suggestto carry with you while OCing.

Also, I'm hoping CCDL will plan a collective OC event with LE and media coverage. Safety in numbers, public eye, etc.

cheers,

I started to the other night, and chickened out... (actually it was pretty cold, so I put a coat on that covered the majority of my XD40 in a Blackhawk Serpa OWB holster)

I am sure that all would be interested in anything that could help us stay out of jail due to uninformed LEO's

GoldCoaster

imported post

That's for sure, and for us in Stratford we'd get carted off to Bridgeport lockup and as for Lenny and myself, we are far too handsome to be in genpop in Beepo's lockup.

uskrusader

imported post

dwayner79 wrote:
uskrusader wrote:

I printed this for question 1 and I printed out the attached letter from the Commissioner DPS. Read the last paragragh. I folded and stuffed em in my wallet so I have someting to say to the officer just in case.

http://www.ct.gov/bfpe/cwp/view.asp?a=1838&Q=418126&PM=1

Lenny Benedetto

imported post

Thanks Great Idea to have with at all times. These documents spell it out!!!

Hopefully the LEO and his superior will understand what they say!!!LOL

Lank

imported post

MostlyNorwalk and the Woodbridge/New Haven area but I've been all over the place. I've got a Five-seveN in a black leather holster. I mostly just try to make myself look respectable. I never try to hide it from anyone or cover it up at all when carrying open. Other than that I just ignore anyone thatstares at it and mind my own business.

It seems to be far more common for people to react with interest than with fear.

A few people have asked me about it and I explain the whole open-carry-is-legal thing.

I thinkit may have slightly freaked people out on two occasions. Both middle-aged women. One at shop-rite and another at the video store. Once again, the best thing to do is pay absolutely no attention, mind your own business, and don't try to hide it.

To those who are on the fence about OCing, I can't say that you aren't taking any risks, but I will say for sure that it isn't as big a deal as you probably think. Normal people do not call 911 every time they see a gun.