• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Desert heat

MIkeK

imported post

I have a question for people in the Sonoran Desert. Normally when I take a gun with me (which is most of the time), I’m able to keep it with me all the time. Every once in a while though a situation comes up where I need to leave it in the car (appropriately locked up and secured, of course). As everyone here knows, it’s starting to get a little warm out. In a few months the air temperature will be 110 degrees and in a car it gets to where you can’t touch the steering wheel until the air conditioning has been running for 10 minutes … you know what I mean.

Of course I wouldn’t leave a loaded gun in the car and I don’t leave ammunition there when it gets that hot… but… what does it take to “cook of” a round? How much should I let a gun cool down before loading it? Any advice?

impulse

imported post

You can leave a loaded mag on the dashboard of you vehicle, and not have to worry. It takes at least over 400 degrees, for it to go "boom".

Let's put it this way, I would be more worried about polymer guns being in the car (the plastic melting :) ), than the ammo. But even the the guns can take the heat.

To your question on how long should you wait till you load the firearm. Whatever is most comfortable to you. Me, I slap that magazine in as soon as I get in the vehicle.

DMGNUT

imported post

You pretty much have to toss your bullets into an open fire to "cook then off". If you have a CCW, don't leave your gun in your car, ever. If you don't have a CCW, get one, please. Your gun does you no good, if you don't have it when you actually need it. If you are carrying concealed properly, the only time you must leave the gun anywhere, is as you enter certain state or federal buildings, and they have accommodations for this. Before anyone yells, Hey you can't carry in, "name your favorite place"... always remember, the bad guy doesn't care about that, and neither should you. As the old saying goes, "I wouldrather be judged by 12, than carried by 6".

GWbiker

imported post

Car break ins are common in Arizona.

With that in mind, my suggestion is to never leave a gun in an unattended motor vehicle.
Carry your gun with you. Get an AZ CCW permit, if you feel you should need one.

In 1995 I lost a first generation Glock model 17 due to a car break in. Gun was in a locked glove box which the thug jimmied open. I immediately reported the theft to local and state Police (Pennsylvania). No auto insurance coverage on the gun, BTW.:banghead:

I never saw the gun again.

PavePusher

imported post

Some things to help keep your car cooler:

Ventshade lips on the windows, windowsopen one to two inchesfor air flow. They work great at highway speeds as well.

Windshield reflector and in sedans/coupes, one in the rear window as well.

If you have a sunroof, cut up another reflector to size, use industrial strength Velcro around the edges (use a high-temp epoxy adhesive) to make a reflective shade. Leave sunroof cracked open as well. Car will be MUCH cooler, steering wheel and dash won't fry eggs.

If you have to keep gun in vehicle there are various gun safes that will fit in various locations. Check online and at the local stores. I know Diamondback has several different ones, Second Amendment too. There is a $30 locking heavy-gauge metal case that cables to the seat frame, holds a full-size 1911.

I stopped at the Gunsite Pass store, they are small but carry reloading tools and a brand of leather gun belts/holsters that I can't remember the name of, I bought two belts at the last gun show I attended, work great.

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
imported post

I vaguely recall that high heat deteriorates gun powder.

Any truth to this, anybody, or am I mis-remembering something?

mzbk2l

imported post

I had a 3.5" floppy disc melt into the back seat in my car one day while I was at work. It literally looked like someone had held a propane torch to it. Even though the car isn't hot enough to cook off ammo, it's going to make your pistol far too hot to touch should you need to use it for anything.

I was prohibited by my employer from bringing it on the grounds, and we went through security to get to work so sneaking it in was not an option. I generally left it in my trunk, just so it would be cool enough to handle by the time I came out of work.

arizonaheat

imported post

the ammo and gun are fine in the heat in your car, but not safe from people out side of the car that want whats inside. I am getting my ccw soon to help in some places, but if I have to leave my gun in the car for a sign I will rather drive to the next one that will not have one. That walk for the store to your car might be the one party you wish your friend S&W (or your favorite) join you if shit hit the fan.