• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Spokane Municipal Code 10.10.050

Jeff Hayes

imported post

Spokane Code 10.10.050 seems to be in direct violation of the state peremption it states no guns even if you have a CWP. Anyone have any experiance with the City of Spokane and carring in the Convention Center.The Tea Party is goping to be there tomorrow and I was going to CC.

Orphan

joeroket

imported post

If the city operates the facilities then the ordinance is within their authority. They do not have to state that the restriction does not apply to a CPL holder, they just cannot enforce it upon one.

Jeff Hayes

imported post

Joerocket

The problem is thatthe City of Spokanestates that no guns even with a CWP. RCW 9.41.300 (2) b i statesany pistol in the possession of a person licensed under RCW 9.41.070 is exempt. State preemption should over rule.

Orphan

joeroket

imported post

The Spokane ordinance does not state that guns are restricted even with a CPL. It just does not list the exception that it does not apply to CPL holders.

.300 states that the ordinance shall not apply to a person licensed to carry a concealed pistol. Nowhere does it state that the exception must be part of the local ordinance, just that it shall not apply to a CPL licensee.

Machoduck

imported post

When the NRA had their convention in Seattle at the Convention Center I parked for free down by the Coast Guard station and walked to the Convention Center. When I walked into the lobby I was greeted by a sign that said "NO Weapons Allowed". Long story short, Christine Gregoire, then AG, was called. She told them they had to allow me entrance with my concealed pistol.

As far as I know the Convention Center is run by the government. It sounds as if the Spokane facility is too. My understanding is that exceptions to the above occur when the facility is managed by a private company, like Seahawk Stadium.

MD

Jeff Hayes

imported post

MachoDuck

I think that Spokane probably knows better and just posts it that wayin the hopethat CCers will not carry. Thanks for the responce.

Orphan

FMCDH

imported post

Orphan wrote:
MachoDuck

I think that Spokane probably knows better and just posts it that wayin the hopethat CCers will not carry. Thanks for the responce.
Yep, hit the nail on the head. :?

arentol

imported post

Orphan wrote:
Joerocket

The problem is thatthe City of Spokanestates that no guns even with a CWP. RCW 9.41.300 (2) b i statesany pistol in the possession of a person licensed under RCW 9.41.070 is exempt. State preemption should over rule.

Orphan
Yeah, I love how 9.41.300 doesn't actually state that you can't open carry either. It says simply that you have to have a CPL, not that you actually have to be CC'ing your pistol.

Dr. Fresh

imported post

Machoduck wrote:
When the NRA had their convention in Seattle at the Convention Center I parked for free down by the Coast Guard station and walked to the Convention Center. When I walked into the lobby I was greeted by a sign that said "NO Weapons Allowed". Long story short, Christine Gregoire, then AG, was called. She told them they had to allow me entrance with my concealed pistol.

As far as I know the Convention Center is run by the government. It sounds as if the Spokane facility is too. My understanding is that exceptions to the above occur when the facility is managed by a private company, like Seahawk Stadium.

MD
Gregoire eh? I can't put my finger on her. How pro/anti is she anyway?

tacmedic911

imported post

Well to put your curiosity to rest I oc'd at our tea party in spokane. Wasn't going to originally but it was warmer than they said it would be. Anyway not a word from any active leo's. There was a guy that said he was a retired state leo from another state but we had a good conversation and he walked away educated. Oc'd the entire time w/o incident.

Machoduck

imported post

"Gregoire eh? I can't put my finger on her. How pro/anti is she anyway?"

Christine Gregoire is our illustrious Democrat governor who beat hear Republican opponent by so few votes and with so many recounts that some say her name should be pronounced "Fraud-you-are." She's an anti but not virulently so. Her main theme appears to be the creation of huge deficits in state finance.

MD

Jeff Hayes

imported post

No thanks needed, I'll cover yourback anytime, besides it was entertaining to say the least.

joeroket

imported post

arentol wrote:
Orphan wrote:
Joerocket

Orphan
Yeah, I love how 9.41.300 doesn't actually state that you can't open carry either. It says simply that you have to have a CPL, not that you actually have to be CC'ing your pistol.
Yea, that is the most annoying thing to me. It makes people believe that you must conceal because after all you do have a CPL.

compmanio365

imported post

arentol wrote:
Orphan wrote:
Joerocket

Orphan
Sounds like someone will have to challenge that by becoming a test case. State preemption should win out in a court, especially if appealed to the state level.

Gray2Hairs

imported post

Interesting...here is the info from the Spokane Convention Center:
"Weapons and Concealed Handguns
In accordance with provisions of Municipal Code 10.10.050, it is the policy of the Spokane Convention Center that handguns and other weapons are strictly prohibited in Spokane Convention Center. Individuals who fail to comply with this prohibition or otherwise violate penal laws with respect to carrying a handgun or other weapon are subject to immediate arrest and prosecution. This prohibition applies to all persons including concealed handgun Licensees, with the exception of licensed law enforcement officers."
They specifically mention concealed handguns...oh well.

BTW, it was nice to see people OCing at the TEA party, sorta give me hope.

fetch

imported post

Orphan, This is what surf and I have been addressing here in Spokane for the past year. The city attorney and police are fully aware of state preemption. They (the city) know we are well within our rights as to where we can OC. It is clear the city is not going to voluntarily change the codes. Talking with a council member I was told a law suit is what it is going to take to get the city to change the codes.