• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Spokane Municipal Code 10.10.050

surfj9009

imported post

fetch wrote:
Orphan, This is what surf and I have been addressing here in Spokane for the past year. The city attorney and police are fully aware of state preemption. They (the city) know we are well within our rights as to where we can OC. It is clear the city is not going to voluntarily change the codes. Talking with a council member I was told a law suit is what it is going to take to get the city to change the codes.
I can confirm this, as I was present with the City Attorney's office and the Police Training Coordinator when it was discussed.

I was also pretty much told the same thing from my city council rep as well.......

I am glad to hear that you guys OC'ed the tea Party. i wish I could have been at home, I would have been right there with ya!

BobR

imported post

How does the city prosecutor play into the enforcement of preempted codes?

If he refuses to prosecute, doesn't that make the code, for all intents and purposes, invalid.

You could still be "talked" to by the police, removed from the area under their idea of what is right, but isn't that as far as it will go?

I know even that happening is inappropriate, I am just wondering about the posecution part.

bob

joeroket

imported post

It sounds like the city wants to keep the law on the books in an attempt to give the officers an offense to arrest for violating therefore giving the police "qualified immunity". Just my guess because i see no other reason to keep a code on the books that they know is not prosecutable.

heresolong

imported post

joeroket wrote:
It sounds like the city wants to keep the law on the books in an attempt to give the officers an offense to arrest for violating therefore giving the police "qualified immunity". Just my guess because i see no other reason to keep a code on the books that they know is not prosecutable.
Keep copies of any and all correspondence with the city and the city attorney regarding this issue. Get tapes of all conversations and each city council meeting in which you bring it up.

At that point, if anyone is arrested for violating this municipal code they would have a good case for arguing that the police no longer have "qualified immunity" because they were notified on numerous occasions that the code in question was illegal. You would then have a pretty decent civil rights lawsuit on your hands.

I would also attend a few council meetings and ask to be put on the agenda. Bring up things like 42USC1983 and the possible liability of the city for false arrest, etc.

joeroket

imported post

heresolong wrote:
joeroket wrote:
Keep copies of any and all correspondence with the city and the city attorney regarding this issue.  Get tapes of all conversations and each city council meeting in which you bring it up.

At that point, if anyone is arrested for violating this municipal code they would have a good case for arguing that the police no longer have "qualified immunity" because they were notified on numerous occasions that the code in question was illegal.  You would then have a pretty decent civil rights lawsuit on your hands.

I would also attend a few council meetings and ask to be put on the agenda.  Bring up things like 42USC1983 and the possible liability of the city for false arrest, etc.

I agree. Have they actually notified the patrol officers that the code is invalid and not to enforce it?