• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

strictor gun control says pittsburgh governor

spencer280

imported post

Prodded by the shooting deaths of police officers in Pittsburgh and Philadelphia, Gov. Ed Rendell will ask lawmakers today to enact a series of measures to control gun violence.
The Democratic governor will detail his proposal at a Harrisburg news conference.
Previewing the measures in Pittsburgh yesterday, Mr. Rendell recalled the memorial service last week for the three Pittsburgh police officers gunned down in Stanton Heights. Noting that any number of legislators had attended similar events during years of increasing gun violence, he argued that those lawmakers could pay a more effective tribute to fallen officers by enacting common-sense gun control laws.
"Our police officers in the state are simply outgunned," he said.
Mr. Rendell has advocated gun control measures in Harrisburg in the past with little success. In particular, he has called for a limit of one gun purchase a month to curb the problem of straw dealers who legally purchase guns but then resell them on the black market.
Last year, Rep. David Levdansky was soundly rebuffed on the House floor when he urged the passage of a bill that would have required gun owners to file a report within 72 hours when their weapons were lost or stolen. The measure was aimed at the same straw purchaser phenomenon as the one-gun-a-month proposals advanced by Mr. Rendell.
Nationally, a ban on so-called assault weapons, enacted in 1994, was allowed to expire in 2004. The Democratic majority in Congress has shown no inclination to revive it. On the 2008 campaign trail, President Barack Obama endorsed efforts to reinstate the assault weapons ban and to require background checks for sales at gun shows similar to those required for purchases from gun shops. Since taking office, however, the administration has not pushed gun legislation to the top of its agenda.
"The amount of firepower that the deranged person in Pittsburgh had was stunning," Mr. Rendell said yesterday. "If the AK-47 hadn't jammed, we might have had a lot more dead than just the three officers."
Mr. Rendell wouldn't comment on whether prosecutors should seek the death penalty against Richard Poplawski, the Stanton Heights man arrested after the shooting deaths. He noted, however that, as governor, he must sign a death warrant before any execution can be carried out.
"I would sign that death warrant without a moment's thought," he said of the Pittsburgh case.
Mr. Rendell said that one of the measures he would propose is a restoration of the option for Pennsylvania municipalities to enact their own gun laws -- an option taken away by the Legislature in 1996. Philadelphia, where Mr. Rendell served two terms as mayor, has tried to impose local gun restrictions in the last year, prompted by the shooting deaths of four Philadelphia officers over the past two years. Enforcement of the new Philadelphia laws has been held up by legal challenges based in part on the legislative pre-emption of the local gun law authority.
"If the city of Pittsburgh wanted to take action on gun laws, we should let them," Mr. Rendell said. "What works in Pittsburgh won't necessarily work in McKean County."

Aran

Banned
imported post

spencer280 wrote:
i was watching the news last night and heard are great governor of Pittsburgh talking about passing a strictor gun control laws because of the three cops that got killed. that is the last thing we need is more gun control. he was on the news last night and was complaining about the ar 15's and semi's that hold more then 10 in a clip. i just have one question if them cops would have got killed by rocks getting throw at them would they bann rocks. gun control is just taking gun out of the good guys hands but the criminals will always find a way to get them.
The what of Pittsburgh?

Aran

Banned
imported post

spencer280 wrote:
live in the state of pa. i didn't put pa in there since i was posting this in the pa thread form. but anyways i copied and pasted this from the NRA so i know its true
The governor is of the state. Mayors are of towns and cities.

GWbiker

imported post

Fast Eddie should do a little homework on the futility of gun control in, say New Jersey, particularly Camden, Newark and Trenton.

Camden has the honor of being listed at #2 of the 20 most dangerous cities in the US.
Newark, and Trenton also make the top 20 hit list.

Philly, with a population five times that of Camden across the river, is at #22.

Edit....forgot to mention, Fast Eddie Rendel was Philadelphia Mayor for a number of years.

bufordtpisser

imported post

Ed Rendel is a moron. He has proven that on each and every occasion when he has ever opened his mouth. If he would not have let the criminal element thrive in the city of brotherly disgust, maybe their crime level would not have been so dam high. I for one certainly hope that the people of Pennsylvania come to their senses and vote that utterly disgusting waste of human flesh out of office. He went out of his way to lagalize gambling and bring in all of the criminal elements that are associated with it, then has the audacity to try to take guns from the hands of law abiding citizens. You want to pass laws fast eddy, how about laws that make it illegal for prosecutors to plea bargain with criminals and let them out of jail early. How about just enforcing the laws that are already on the books. That man is a stain on the very fabric of the reason why this state was founded and the principals of our forefathers.

shefearsnothing

imported post

He is just trying to get his name recognized nationally. I mean, he can't serve another term so he's trying to set himself up for something else. Well, he's setting himself up alright. There's a special seat in the hall of stupid for him.

JONES FOR JANITOR!!