• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Thunder over Louisville

Walkeraviator

Louisville, Commonwealth of Kentucky, , USA
imported post

I have noticed that the "rules" for thunder over louisville states that firearms are prohibited. How can this be if the state has pre-emptive laws that prevent them from making rules that undermine teh states laws, and in addition, how would they enforce this?? ask you to leave or just arrest you, and under what charges???

smoking357

Banned
imported post

Walkeraviator wrote:
I have noticed that the "rules" for thunder over louisville states that firearms are prohibited. How can this be if the state has pre-emptive laws that prevent them from making rules that undermine teh states laws, and in addition, how would they enforce this?? ask you to leave or just arrest you, and under what charges???
Thunder encompasses almost the whole city. There's no way Thunder's rules apply to public lands. This "rule" sounds like complete crap designed to scare off the unknowing.

hotrod

imported post

smoking357 wrote:
Walkeraviator wrote:
Thunder encompasses almost the whole city. There's no way Thunder's rules apply to public lands. This "rule" sounds like complete crap designed to scare off the unknowing.
They know very well that they can not enforce those rules. They have had lawsuits filed over this before. You may google and access previous lawsuits

Brian D.

imported post

tito887 wrote:
what's the thunder of louisville?
Briefly, it is a large outdoor festival and fireworks show held along the Ohio River, a week or two before the Kentucky Derby. Or, a couple of weeks after the Knob Creek Machine Gun Shoot, to look at it from a different point of view. ;)

hotrod

imported post

gutshot wrote:
What about when on city property? If I watch from the great lawn, then do they have a more solid foot to stand on?

No, public property is just that, public. It belongs to the people. City governments in Ky. cannot legally ban guns whether carried openly or concealed from open spaces. Don't misunderstand. They will arrest you, but its not legal. If you want to spend the weekend in jail to prove a point and take a crack at a law suit, go for it.
They may threaten arrest, but, they have paid lots of money out already on arrestknown to not be legal. And if they do arrest it's like hitting the lottery, the payday will come quickly with a 42USC1983 suit. They will settle. What authority would you have to make an arrest? Louisville cannot arrest under local ordinance and they know this already.

chris in va

imported post

If I may also point something out (and I plan to attend) the cops will be searching bags and 'parcels' upon entering the grounds. Keep it DEEP CONCEALED people.

MgoBlue

imported post

Yes, but . . . if you notice, it states that "concealed carry by persons with legitimate CCDW permits would be allowed on the Great Lawn and other open areas, in accordance with Kentucky statutes. I wonder what their attitude will be toward open carry.