• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Slugs for rifled barrels... oops

YllwFvr

imported post

AWDstylez wrote:
Then you're under the wrong impression. :lol:

I listed the prices of my typical slug purchases above. The cheapest that I've found is at Walmart (of course, when you can find them). The Winchester and Remington 2 3/4" slugs go for $8.75ish for a 15 pack, not cheap by any standard. Both companies have 00 buck for a similar price, also only at Walmart.

Go looking for slugs at your local gun shop/Dicks/Cabellas and you're looking at $1/round minimum.

Birdshot can be had cheap, but is useless at the range. Federal bulk packs go for (once again only at Walmart) $23 for a 100 round pack. That price is more on par with my standard of "cheap" rifle ammo. It's good for blowing stuff up at close range in the woods and would definitelyput downan intruder at <10 yards, but aside from that it's pointless.

I guess it all depends on what you're looking to do with the gun. I don't hunt and I bought my gun for home defense and shooting in the woods. It's a Benelli Supernova Tacticoolness with an 18", no choke barrel that's useless for anything other than self-defense. So just make sure you buy a gun that'sgood at what you intend to use it for.

Thanks stylez. Yeah birshot must be what I was thinking of. I didnt know the slugs and all were that much more expensive.

I have heard Benelli makes very nice shotguns. I was look at the typical mossberg 500 and looking for folding stocks, short barrels etc etc. Or maybe a semi auto just for fun factor. Never heard of the one you got I think I will just look it up because "Tacticoolness" just sounds nice dont it?

marshaul

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Don Barnett wrote:
Have "fun" shooting them...hope you have a cast iron shoulder.  I have never really enjoyed sighting in slugs...it HURTS!

Because I went hunting in a "slug" county, I got a rifled barrel and regular old, Walmart bought, Winchester 2 3/4" slugs.  They were more than accurate.
I love shooting slugs.

Although I will admit that 3" magnums beat me up enough that I rarely use them.

But anything shorter than that I can shoot all day out of my Stoeger 2000.

:celebrate

YllwFvr

imported post

Just found the shotgun of my dreams!

Remington 1740 ooh sweet!

1740-porch.jpg

AWDstylez

Banned
imported post

YllwFvr wrote:
Just found the shotgun of my dreams!

Remington 1740 ooh sweet!

1740-porch.jpg

Damn!

This is my gun...

IMO, Mossbergs suck. A few of my friends have them, mostly 500's,and they're cheap feeling (really light, could be good or bad thing) and they rattle a lot. Almost feel like toys. They offer them in fake carbon fiber finish, enough said.:XOf course they do have loads of tacticool accessories made for them,if that's what you're looking for.

If you're going with a semi, I'd get the Benelli M2 (you'll be a fan boy after you shoot one too). They go for about $1,100 around here. I was debating one before, but for a $600 savings I'll pump my own action.
Then of course you have the classic tacticool pump 870, which everyone seems to swear by. They're rare around here and I've never fired one, so I simply went with the Benelli.

YllwFvr

imported post

Don Barnett wrote:
Nice, but I hope you don't accidentally shoot both barrels at once.

http://www.lesjones.com/2008/06/16/double-barrel-pump-shotgun-moe-szyslak-style/

Below the picture is a video of a young man firing off both barrels at once, then just shooting single.

Stylez, thats a very nice shotgun! And thank you for the advice, I dont know scatter guns well, Ive only ever shot an Ithica(sp?) single shot and an all wood turkey pump action that felt solid. I DO like "tacticool" which was why I was looking at Mossberg but I hadnt heard they were trash.

I will take a look at the one you got and see how I like it. The m2 is a little too much green for me.

Don Barnett

imported post

God...I LOVE shotguns! They are so DEADLY! And ironically, the anti-gunners don't complain about them.

Carnivore

imported post

YllwFvr wrote:
Don Barnett wrote:

http://www.lesjones.com/2008/06/16/double-barrel-pump-shotgun-moe-szyslak-style/

Below the picture is a video of a young man firing off both barrels at once, then just shooting single.

Stylez, thats a very nice shotgun! And thank you for the advice, I dont know scatter guns well, Ive only ever shot an Ithica(sp?) single shot and an all wood turkey pump action that felt solid. I DO like "tacticool" which was why I was looking at Mossberg but I hadnt heard they were trash.

I will take a look at the one you got and see how I like it. The m2 is a little too much green for me.

Mossbergs TRASH?? I'll accomplish anything with a 33 yr. old Mossberg 600AT new for $135.00 that you can do with your new $600.00 shotgun.. get started, I've had that old pump since I was 14, and you've got a lot of catching up to do..

AWDstylez

Banned
imported post

Carnivore wrote:
YllwFvr wrote:
Don Barnett wrote:

Mossbergs TRASH?? I'll accomplish anything with a 33 yr. old Mossberg 600AT new for $135.00 that you can do with your new $600.00 shotgun.. get started, I've had that old pump since I was 14, and you've got a lot of catching up to do..
Trash is a bit far, but Mossbergs are to shotguns what Tauruses are to pistols.

Carnivore

imported post

Probably the same could be compared to AK's, SKS's inexpensive, Versatile, and capable. My old 12 Mossberg with a straight full choke 30" barrel has taken turkeys out to 73 yds. with 3" 5 shot magnums , won quite a bit of meat and money at shooting matches, taken uncountable ducks,geese. With my full rifled slug barrel I've threaded the needle and killed deer at 80 yds through pretty thick woods , in fact I've chosen to carry it or my 20ga 870 w/ full rifled barrel on numerous deer hunts over my Hi power rifles because of their point of impact energy and reliability,, Just like a Hi Point, if time has proven it's reliability to you, no one should challenge you or your firearms capability.. I don't own a shorter home defense type barrel for either, but will be trying OO Buckshot through my rifled barrels to check the pattern spread at various distances when I have time to get over to Dads place or the range, but I'm sure I should be able to throw a OO buck pattern of probably 3' at 15 yds I'll post pics of my results on that test when I get the opportunity to check it out..

marshaul

Campaign Veteran
imported post

The Taurus PT 1911 is a good pistol. I don't own one, but referring to them as anything other than a good value seems to be a bit, shall we say "elitist".

Airforce1

imported post

AWDstylez wrote:
For future reference, Brenneke got back to me and said there is no issue with shooting the slugs in a smooth bore barrel. They said they're labeled for rifled only because they would destroy a choked barrel because the fins are too thin to deform enough. So eliminating all smooth bore in the description is just better safe than sorry. They also offered to exchange them for the Black Magics.

Hi, I am a hunter that uses rifled slugs. Rifled slugs are generally used in smooth bore shotguns where as rifled barrels are more geared for sabots or solid-unrifled slugs. I have no problems using rifled slugs in my Mossberg 500 20ga. Just remember to have and Improved cylinder choke in it. Any other choke may be too tight. Rifled slugs can be pretty accurate, I got my first deer with it at about 140 yards.