• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Traveling to Nashville for 4th of July Weekend

Abock33

imported post

As My First Post on here I will make it simple. The Wife and I are planning on taking a mototcycle trip to Nashville for the 4th of July. Is there anything I need to be aware of that is different from KY? Also is there anythimg going on around town for the 4th?

Thanks in advance

Fallguy

imported post

There are basically 5 places that are off limits by TN law for those with a HCP to carry.

Inside any place that serves alcohol for onsite consumption. (39-17-1305)
In any room where a judicial proceeding is taking place. (39-17-1306)
Schools. (39-17-1309 and 39-17-1310)
Public Parks and recreational property. (39-17-1311)
Any place with a properly posted sign per 39-17-1359

The law about carry where alcohol is served could change on July 1st.

A bill that would allow carry in places that serve alcohol has passed in the House, but with restrictions of no carry between 11:00pm - 5:00am in those places or any place that is age restricted. The Senate version of the same bill is scheduled to be voted on tomorrow, but that version has removed those restrictions. So not sure what the final version will be.

But whatever passes, if it does, will go into effect July 1st

Bill Starks

State Researcher
imported post

So is this a legal sign? It at the airport which I though one was legal to carry...
BNA-weapons.jpg

Fallguy

imported post

M1Gunr wrote:
So is this a legal sign? It at the airport which I though one was legal to carry...
BNA-weapons.jpg

IMO it's legal.

I haven't been to the Nashville Airport in years, but I have heard others say that part of the terminal is posted while other parts are not. So depending where the signs are posted, some parts could be off-limits while others are not.

Legally the law also that all entrances commonly used by the public must be posted to prohibit carry in that area. So if you go through an entrance to an area that wasn't posted, even though other entrances were posted, you could argue that it's not a legal posting and/or you didn't know. Of course there is probably a 50/50 chance as to whether you make that argument to the officer or the judge.

ProguninTN

imported post

I second Fallguy's analysis. The sign looks legal to me. All public entrances are required to be posted (assuming the property wants to ban weapons from the whole property). However, a property owner can only post signs on a specific room or area if he/she chooses. (I haven't seen this myself. All posted buildings I've seen have been posted in their entirety.)