• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Successful OC at dentist

SpyderTattoo

imported post

Just got home from a dentist appt. to fix a broken filling. I walked in wearing jeans and a T-shirt, just got off work early for this, and my Kimber 1911 in a Serpa. The receptionist glanced at it but didn't seem to react at all. I sat down after checking in, but got called in about 30 seconds later by an assistant. He told me which chair I'd be in and followed me down the hall. As I reached the chair (cubicle) he said "Not going to use that on us if you don't like what we do, are you?" I said "no" with a little chuckle, which seemed to put him at ease a little, and he chuckled a little too at that point. When I sat down in the chair he came around so I could see him and asked me, "Do you carry that for work?". I said "No, I carry for self-protection". Then he told me about his brother-in-law who lives in California (I'm not sure where exactly) and can drive for 10 minutes and be in some mountainous area and shoot there. The dental assistant said he likes to go visit so he can shoot there because he doesn't know of anywhere around here to shoot. So I told him about the Ft. Lewis range and about "The Pit" in Olympia. After they were done fixing my filling he asked me "What kind of gun do you carry?" I told him, "Kimber .45." He told me his brother-in-law caries a .44 I'll have to remember to bring a couple pamphlets next time I go in for a checkup.

As an asside, I've been OC'ing around Kent quite a bit just recently, Went to Joe's this past Saturday to check out their "Going out of Business Sale", Fred Meyer, Target, anywhere I go up on the East Hill of Kent, and Walmart out in Covington. I had a couple incident's with Kent PD last year, but nothing so far this year.

just_a_car

imported post

Awesome! Glad to see they used their heads and logic of "he's probably not a bad guy".

I wish I could do the same at my dentist appointment this 21st, but my folks and sis go to the same dentist and they don't know I carry, much less own a handgun.

SpyderTattoo

imported post

You know, that's funny, my parents don't know I carry either. I think they know that I own guns, but choose to keep their head's in the sand about it. My mother especially would just worry herself to death over it. Partly worried for me, partly because of my 3 kids. "I don't want guns around my grandchildren" kind of thing. My kids and wife know not to say anything about it when we're with my parents.

FunkTrooper

imported post

just_a_car wrote:
I wish I could do the same at my dentist appointment this 21st, but my folks and sis go to the same dentist and they don't know I carry, much less own a handgun.
My dad conceals carry he knows I open carry and says it's stupid because he thinks someone will walk up and disarm me, I respect my father but I still OC around him when I'm up in Alaska.

Bill Starks

State Researcher
imported post

My dentist in Tacoma makes the same comment every time I go in there. We both had a good laugh.

Monroe Dental Group
4707 S 19th St # 210
Tacoma, WA 98405

Tawnos

imported post

NavyLT wrote:
compmanio365 wrote:
Dentist? Who can afford one of those? We just use lots of booze and a string tied to a door. :p
Isn't it illegal to carry while intoxicated?!?
Not according to WA state law. I mean, you could argue that being intoxicated while carrying is "under circumstances and at a time and place that warrants alarm", but if you CC and never reveal your gun or OC and give no indication that it's ever going to leave the holster, it would be hard to uphold the "in a manner" burden. Now, if drunk you could get arrested for drunk in public, and perhaps there might be a way to get a firearm extension to such a charge. However, according to the law, so long as I'm not doing my drinking in a place that is off limits to those under the age of 21, then it's okay. I'd much prefer something like Utah's law - no prohibitions where you carry, but the same standard of BAC as driving.

compmanio365

imported post

Tawnos wrote:
NavyLT wrote:
compmanio365 wrote:
Dentist? Who can afford one of those? We just use lots of booze and a string tied to a door. :p
Isn't it illegal to carry while intoxicated?!?
Not according to WA state law. I mean, you could argue that being intoxicated while carrying is "under circumstances and at a time and place that warrants alarm", but if you CC and never reveal your gun or OC and give no indication that it's ever going to leave the holster, it would be hard to uphold the "in a manner" burden. Now, if drunk you could get arrested for drunk in public, and perhaps there might be a way to get a firearm extension to such a charge. However, according to the law, so long as I'm not doing my drinking in a place that is off limits to those under the age of 21, then it's okay. I'd much prefer something like Utah's law - no prohibitions where you carry, but the same standard of BAC as driving.
Uh....it was a joke guys, c'mon.......:quirky Let's not dredge up this old flame war again....

heresolong

imported post

SpyderTattoo wrote:
Went to Joe's this past Saturday to check out their "Going out of Business Sale",
I haven't been to Joe's since I found out about their firearm's policy. I guess if they are going out of business it wouldn't hurt since there isn't really a company to support anymore. Any good deals?