• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

What's the violation for carrying concealed w/o a CPL?

starbuck

imported post

NavyLT wrote
There are no training requirements. Just proof of identity is all that is required. You do a form similar to a 4473, fingerprints, pay $55, 90 days later you get it in the mail as a non-resident.

Bothell PD got my non-res to me in under 30 days, so depending on where he applies, he might get it faster than 90.

Orygunner

imported post

I thank everyone for their help, I'll be near the Auburn PD, I'll be applying with them tomorrow (and crossing my fingers while I'm in Washington State).

Stay safe!

...Orygunner...

j2l3

imported post

NavyLT wrote:
Also, you may apply at any LEO agency in the state as an Oregon resident, but the application, resident or not, must be done in person. Takes all of 15 to 20 minutes.
I believe this to be incorrect. Non-Residents have to go to the County SO. City police can't issue to non-residents.

Machoduck

imported post

"...Damn that's a difficult choice."

Orygunner, I had no idea it was like that. I was seeing only the top of the iceberg when 90% was below the water. My only suggestions now would be long term planning ideas which I'm sure you'll cover in the appropriate time. Best of luck. Sometimes a big change is the best change.

MD

ETA: For the present - what Compmanio said.

just_a_car

imported post

j2l3 wrote:
NavyLT wrote:
Also, you may apply at any LEO agency in the state as an Oregon resident, but the application, resident or not, must be done in person. Takes all of 15 to 20 minutes.
I believe this to be incorrect. Non-Residents have to go to the County SO. City police can't issue to non-residents.
Nope, NavyLT was correct.

(13) A person may apply for a concealed pistol license:

(a) To the municipality or to the county in which the applicant resides if the applicant resides in a municipality;

(b) To the county in which the applicant resides if the applicant resides in an unincorporated area; or

(c) Anywhere in the state if the applicant is a nonresident.
-RCW 9.41.070

Edit: Dang, LT beat me to it! :p

Sea_Chicken

imported post

compmanio365 wrote:
IANAL, and I can neither confirm nor deny what I would or would not do in this situation, but I do feel that my safety and the safety of my family comes first, no matter what. If you feel the same way, then you already know what you will be doing.
I feel the same way myself, 2A says shall not be infringed.

G27

imported post

Getting a CPL for an out of state resident is about the easiest thing to do in Washington. Many sheriffs issue them on the spot and it takes less than 30 minutes. I don't see why you'd go through all the hassle and break the law when you can easily get one. Or just open carry.

grishnav

imported post

NavyLT wrote:
I didn't mean to say carrying was a privilege. I meant to say concealing was a privilege.
I understood that, and I disagree. Carrying, whether openly or not, is not a privilege, whatever Daddy Government may tell you. Just like they try to tell you driving is a privilege. BS.

Not that I'm suggesting anyone disobey their licensing procedures. They will, after all, stick guns in your face, with no qualms about pulling the trigger, so it takes a lot of guts to ignore them. If you do, though, you'll be one of my personal heroes, for whatever that's worth. :)

FE427TP

imported post

Why not just take the loaded magazine out of the gun, and the round out of the chamber and put it in your glovebox? It's not ideal but it's legal per 41.050 which only regulates a loaded firearm in the car. It's better than no firearm, and it will help protect you from having to illegally carry in oregon too if you get caught.

sv_libertarian

State Researcher
imported post

BigDaddy5 wrote:
Dude, you are looking up the wrong RCW. You have no permit, you are not under RCW 9.41.050. You fall under 9.41.250, which states:

(1) Every person who:
(b) Furtively carries with intent to conceal any dagger, dirk, pistol, or other dangerous weapon; or

is guilty of a gross misdemeanor punishable under chapter 9A.20 RCW.

That's no civil fine, that's a ride. Let me offer you some advise...don't do it.
Yup, you are right. I should have caught that one myself. Something was bugging me in the back of my mind and 9.41.250 was it.

Charles Paul Lincoln

imported post

A couple of points that haven't been made yet:

1) While the chance of being detained and charged for concealing withouta permit is slim, the penalty will not only bejail time and fines. It will also be the loss of your Oregon permit, and probably prevent you from ever having a CPL again.

2) If you were charged with illegally concealing, you have now splashed your intent to do so all over the internet, and admitted your knowledge of the law.

Intentionally violating the law, and speaking openly of it on the internet, does the 2A movement (OC or CC) no favors. On the Defensive Carry and Firing Line forums, you post would have been deleted long ago for violation of their rules. Something the mods might want to consider here to preserve the image of OC.

Put your gun in a rug, and lock the slide open. Put the mag in your pocket. From my read of the law, you are legal to carry this way. Not as quick as in your pocket, but an acceptable compromise if you keep your SA elevated.

Charles

FunkTrooper

imported post

NavyLT wrote:
In Washington the gun still cannot be concealed on the body even if unloaded, so doing this, without a CPL, one must be very careful to either ensure the gun is in plain view from outside the vehicle if carried on the body, or ensure the gun is not carried on the body at all in the vehicle.

Oregon doesn't matter to the OP because he does have an Oregon CPL.
So if I carry on a bus or car without a CPL I can just leave it in the holster on my hip, as long as its unloaded and I have the mag ejected?

grishnav

imported post

FunkTrooper wrote:
NavyLT wrote:
In Washington the gun still cannot be concealed on the body even if unloaded, so doing this, without a CPL, one must be very careful to either ensure the gun is in plain view from outside the vehicle if carried on the body, or ensure the gun is not carried on the body at all in the vehicle.

Oregon doesn't matter to the OP because he does have an Oregon CPL.
So if I carry on a bus or car without a CPL I can just leave it in the holster on my hip, as long as its unloaded and I have the mag ejected?
No. Must be in an enclosed case. Or something like that.