• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

OC'ed at Nashville T.E.A. Party

Task Force 16

Campaign Veteran
imported post

I had the oppertunity to take the day off and attend the TEA Party at the Legislative Plaza in Nashville. Wasn't sure what to expect, but everything went really well. I even had the oppertunity to educate a few folks about OC.

I had parked across the river behind the Shoney's, near Titan Stadium and walked in. I hadn't arrived at the plaza for more than a few minutes when a fellow stopped by me to ask if carrying a side arm the way I was (CZ82 in heavy black leather mil or police service holster w/thumbreak retention), legal. I replied that it was as long as I have a Tn HCP or a carry permit from another state that is recognized by Tn. He smiled and nodded approvingly and said he would ahve to check about getting a HCP.

About 30 minutes or so later another man, probably in his 50's, came up to me. With a smile he said, "I have a question, I take it your not a LEO" (WCrawford can vouch that I'd never pass for one). I smiled and said that I wasn't. He continued, "So, do you need a special license to carry openly like that? I have a concealed permit and am carrying now, I was just curious". I asked if his permit was issued by Tn, which he said it was, and I corrected him a said it was a HCP. I then told him that I have the same permit and that it allows us to carry concealed or openly. He said he wasn't aware that he could OC, and his facial expression was that of "HMMM...OK. :)". We chatted a for few more minutes about OC and gun rights in general. He thanked me for the info and then offered me a pamplet for a advocacy group he represented at the gathering.

Maybe an hour later I was standing on one of the benches on the plaza to get some pictures when a lady standing near by walked over. She smiled up at me a said, "I want to thank you...." which surprised me, "for coming here prepared to protect folks here if needed", and she glanced at my holstered firearm. I was taken back a bit cuz I never expected to hear that. I asked her if she realized I wasn't a cop or security and she said she didn't think I was. She then asked, as if to make sure, if it was legal to carry openly as I was and I told her it was, with a permit. She smiled big and told me she was going to apply for hers, and then showed me her wrist that had a nylon brace on it, and her wounded palm on that hand. She explained that she had been recently assaulted and was determined that it wouldn't happen again. We chatted for a spell and I spoke to her about the aspects of OC. She didn't need any educating about an armed society, she already "got it".

I told each of these fine folks about OCDO, so we may be seeing them on here soon.

The rest of the crowd there didn't seem to be concerned at all if they saw a cowboy looking guy carrying a gun amongst them. No wide eyed looks, no stares.

As for the uniformed LE present, I think I saw at least 8 or 10 on the plaza. and not one of them approached me requesting to seemy HCP. I refuse to believe that none of them saw my holstered gun on my hip. Apparently, they didn't deem it necessary to bother with me.

I didn't see anyone else there OC'ing, except LE. I was on the lookout for WCrawford and George but didn't see them.

Overall, it was a great day, but a little cool. :lol:

Edited for spelling :banghead:

WCrawford

imported post

I was there, as well. I mainly stayed near the corner of Charlotte and 6th (inside the plaza).

I spoke with some CCers from Florida, Kentucky, and Alabama. They asked me about OC and I told them that TN law did not diferentiate between open or concealed. They all seemed to like that idea. None decided to OC, that I could tell, but seemed to enjoy having the option.

I chatted briefly with three MNPD before they had to deal with a disrupter in the crowd. They definatly saw my G30 on my hip, but never asked me for my HCP.

With about 10,000 people in attendance, its not surprising that we missed each other.

Oh, I did get to shake hands with Rep.Blackburn and Lt. Gov. Ramsey.

Task Force 16

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Not sure which part of the plaza your talking about, but I didn't get up close to where the speakers were until after they had all got done. I would have like to have met Blackburn. She's my districts rep in US House. Didn't know who the other people were that spoke.

kwikrnu

Banned
imported post

Technically it is supposedly illegal to carry in a park. You said you were in a plaza. Not sure if that qualifies as a public park. The AG has said park carry is illegal, but the law doesn't prohibit "handguns", and I doubt it was posted.

You could have been a good test case.

Task Force 16

Campaign Veteran
imported post

kwikrnu wrote:
Technically it is supposedly illegal to carry in a park. You said you were in a plaza. Not sure if that qualifies as a public park. The AG has said park carry is illegal, but the law doesn't prohibit "handguns", and I doubt it was posted.

You could have been a good test case.
It apparently is not a public park although it is open to the public. If it was illegal I'm sure I would have been arrested, since there were LEO present and I'm sure they saw me armed.

Fallguy

imported post

xdm guy wrote:
Why is open carry so taboo down in Tn ?

The main reason I always here is that when the RTC laws were passed in TN the local sheriff's issued the permits. Then the state decided to take it over so when they did then the non-concealment requirement was added more to prevent arrest or harassment by LEOs if your weapon became exposed for some reason. Not really to just flat out allow OC, although it does allow it.

Apparently some sheriff'swhere unhappy that it was taken from them and the law makers thought that it might be a problem.

Task Force 16

Campaign Veteran
imported post

xdm guy wrote:
Why is open carry so taboo down in Tn ?

It's not really. It's just that, like in any other state, it isn't widely known by the public that OC is legal. I've read on these forums that some handgun safety instructors have been telling their students that it's illegal, when it's not. I've even had a HCP holder come up to me and ask if I had a special permit to OC, he really didn't know that he could too.

Take Ky for instance. A permit is not required to OC, but you don't see allot of it. That's because most of the population in that state doesn't know that it's legal. It simply isn't publicized. It's not here in Tn either.

In my Country of Perry, as of April 1, there were 442 valid HCP holders, but I've only come across one other person that OC's, so far.