• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Few quick questions

thirdwatch2007

imported post

I was looking through the KRS laws tonight and just wanted to put my mind at ease, Scene I am new to open carry and only 19, I know that my dumb and would be common knowledge questions are simple but I just want to put my mind at rest so to speak.

1) In my car if I did not want to open carry for the time being, placing the gun in the glove box and locking it would be legal and correct right?

2) In KRS is there a statue that states basically the legal times to un-holster the gun If ever needed though. I’ve been told and know the correct times / situations but it would be nice to just have a hard copy to confirm what I’ve been told. I hope you understand what I am trying to say and were I am coming from.

3) I am planning on carrying a Smith & Wesson M&P 9mm possibly, is there any good or great holsters that anyone would recommend? I don’t know too much about holsters and don’t want to buy a cheap or a not so good one.

4) Dose anyone know anyadvanced or above the baisc'sfirearm classes to take or anything that you would recommend other than a basic handgun class and a lot of range time over a few years.

5) Dumb question but is there any more “acceptable” city’s in northern Kentucky that the police are more “open” to open carry so to speak and that know the law, and would not likely to give you a hard time, or anyone give any city’s that should maybe avoid sometimes. Hopefully you get at what I am trying to say.

Thank you all very much for your time and knowledge for a hesitant younger new guy.

chris in va

imported post

IANAL, but as I understand KY law...

1. Yes. No center console, just glovebox.

2. Can't say as I've heard of such statute. Do you mean in self defense or just general unholstering to put it somewhere?

3. Depends greatly on your method of carry, whether in waistband or outside waistband. Look at a good kydex holster likea CompTac or BladeTech, or there are plenty of leather holster makers that would work great. If you plan to OC though try and find something with retention, like a thumbsnap.

4. Contact the various ranges in your area. I'm sure they could help you out.

5. Louisville and Lexington are iffy from various reports. If you plan to OC, especially at your age, I'd make a copy of the handgun carry law stating it's legal to do so over 18yo. But I'd advise against it, your call.

Walkeraviator

Louisville, Commonwealth of Kentucky, , USA
imported post

Chris is dead on. Carry a copy of KRS 527.100 which defines a minor in the case of open carry at 18 Years of Age. For open carry, I prefera good leather holster like a Galco F.L.E.T.C.H. or Bianchi. When youget to concealed, I carry my M&P compact in a Comptac M-TAC and love the hell out of it.

I know that here in louisville at Bluegrass Indoor Range, they have an advanced class called Concealed Carry II that teaches tactical pistol response in different scenarios and requires a minimum 300 rounds and 4 hours range time to complete.

thirdwatch2007

imported post

chris in va wrote:
IANAL, but as I understand KY law...

1. Yes. No center console, just glovebox.

2. Can't say as I've heard of such statute. Do you mean in self defense or just general unholstering to put it somewhere?
---self defense, is there a statute that states justifiable legal rights--- Thank you.

3. Depends greatly on your method of carry, whether in waistband or outside waistband. Look at a good kydex holster likea CompTac or BladeTech, or there are plenty of leather holster makers that would work great. If you plan to OC though try and find something with retention, like a thumbsnap.

4. Contact the various ranges in your area. I'm sure they could help you out.

5. Louisville and Lexington are iffy from various reports. If you plan to OC, especially at your age, I'd make a copy of the handgun carry law stating it's legal to do so over 18yo. But I'd advise against it, your call.

DirtySteve

imported post

Hey Thridwatch, I know a guy who does some great defensive pistol classes in Northern Ky. PM me and I'll give you his info

Walkeraviator

Louisville, Commonwealth of Kentucky, , USA
imported post

---self defense, is there a statute that states justifiable legal rights--- Thank you.

First some background and definitions found in teh following statutes is good...i cant write em all out, but you can search em

KRS 503.020, 503.010, 503.050, 503.055, 503.060, 503.070, 503.080

Then the actual justification statute is :

KRS 503.120

v8shoguy

imported post

There is no requirement to have the glovebox locked. I would recommend locking your glovebox if you intend to leave the vehicle without reholstering for a length of time.

If your glovebox is like mine (have to use ignition key, ergo turn the car off) and you keep it locked when driving, IMO you might as well not carry it at all. You won't have access to it when you need it.

hotrod

imported post

thirdwatch2007 wrote:
I was looking through the KRS laws tonight and just wanted to put my mind at ease, Scene I am new to open carry and only 19, I know that my dumb and would be common knowledge questions are simple but I just want to put my mind at rest so to speak.

1) In my car if I did not want to open carry for the time being, placing the gun in the glove box and locking it would be legal and correct right?

2) In KRS is there a statue that states basically the legal times to un-holster the gun If ever needed though. I’ve been told and know the correct times / situations but it would be nice to just have a hard copy to confirm what I’ve been told. I hope you understand what I am trying to say and were I am coming from.

3) I am planning on carrying a Smith & Wesson M&P 9mm possibly, is there any good or great holsters that anyone would recommend? I don’t know too much about holsters and don’t want to buy a cheap or a not so good one.

4) Dose anyone know anyadvanced or above the baisc'sfirearm classes to take or anything that you would recommend other than a basic handgun class and a lot of range time over a few years.

5) Dumb question but is there any more “acceptable” city’s in northern Kentucky that the police are more “open” to open carry so to speak and that know the law, and would not likely to give you a hard time, or anyone give any city’s that should maybe avoid sometimes. Hopefully you get at what I am trying to say.

Thank you all very much for your time and knowledge for a hesitant younger new guy.
If you don't want to open carry, lay it on the front seat, put it in the glove box when you want. You are not required to put it in the glove box when driving. Most of the time mine is laying in the front seat or in the cup holder. Easier to find if I need it.