• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Guns could be allowed in county parks

ed

Founder's Club Member - Moderator
Loudoun County - Dulles Airport, Virginia, USA
imported post

I think John Sandy said it best in the article. I might go to the Safety Meeting on Wednesday, April 22nd.

[font=""]“We can't regulate you bringing a firearm into a park,” said County Administrator John Sandy. [/font]

http://loudountimes.com/news/2009/apr/14/guns-could-be-allowed-county-parks/

I am waiting for my comment to POST.. you have to register (and be moderated)

Ed

hsmith

imported post

Preemption does not apply to county parks? or are they trying to finally get with the times and realize preemption is not allowed

Are fairfax county parks off limits as well?

I AM CONFUSED

ed

imported post

hsmith wrote:
Preemption does not apply to county parks? or are they trying to finally get with the times and realize preemption is not allowed

I AM CONFUSED
preemptionDOES apply.. so you CAN carry in County Parks. Open and CC (with a permit).

hsmith

imported post

ed wrote:
hsmith wrote:

I AM CONFUSED
preemptionDOES apply.. so you CAN carry in County Parks. Open and CC (with a permit).
man ed, throwing me for a loop before i get some caffine in my blood!

TexasNative

imported post

It seems to me that the situation is hit-or-miss to some extent in Loudoun County. Some years back, before I became an active part of the gun rights movement, I barely noticed that the county's Banshee Reeks Nature Preserve had signs which, among other things, prohibited the carry of firearms.

Fast forward a few years, and I noticed that the line on the signs which prohibited firearms had duct tape over them. So somebody apparently figured out preemption.

I'm not surprised that the County Supervisors are unaware of issues regarding the lawful carrying of guns and the limitations placed on the County Government. It's just not something that comes up very often.

ed

imported post

TexasNative wrote:
I'm not surprised that the County Supervisors are unaware of issues regarding the lawful carrying of guns and the limitations placed on the County Government. It's just not something that comes up very often.
I am a little surprised.. I go to their meetings and to their town halls while Open carrying as well as places like the Leesburg Airport when they are there, etc.

TexasNative

imported post

Just because they understand that they can't keep us from coming to their meetings armed doesn't necessarily translate to them understanding the totality of state preemption. I think you give them too much credit for logical thinking.

Which is not to say that there aren't some logical thinkers on the Loudoun BoS. Stevens Miller comes to mind, and maybe Lori Waters (I haven't interacted with her enough to know).

ed

imported post

TexasNative wrote:
Just because they understand that they can't keep us from coming to their meetings armed doesn't necessarily translate to them understanding the totality of state preemption.
I know that.. but at least the two I meet with/see on a pretty regular basis (Susan and Andrea) have talked about guns, gun law, and rights.. I have even given them OC cartds. I have had the same conversation/meetings with Dave Possion and Mark Herring.

altajava

imported post

Does preemption apply to Northern Virginia Regional Parks as well, and I remember some discussion about state parks as well but I don't remember what the outcome on that was.

ed

imported post

altajava wrote:
Does preemption apply to Northern Virginia Regional Parks as well, and I remember some discussion about state parks as well but I don't remember what the outcome on that was.
As far as I know.. the only parks with problems now are state and federal

nova

imported post

altajava wrote:
I've OC'd all through NVRPA land as well as FCPA land many many times with no issues.

possumboy

imported post

"The changes were brought to the board now because of changes made during the recent General Assembly session and other sessions in the last five years, said County Attorney John Roberts."

This makes it sound like the bill to put teeth into preemption is working.

They want to get them off the books, so none of the county LEOs try to enforce them.

Cavymeister

imported post

So, the playgrounds that I take my daughter to in Leesburg (not school property) that say "no weapons permitted" are not valid then for CC or OC? I thought that preemption applied, but I'm not 100% sure.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

Cavymeister wrote:
So, the playgrounds that I take my daughter to in Leesburg (not school property) that say "no weapons permitted" are not valid then for CC or OC? I thought that preemption applied, but I'm not 100% sure.
If the playgrounds are on municipal owned property, the signs are not enforceable. You may CC w/CHP or OC presuming that the land is city or county owned and not school property.

You should follow through with the correct agency (parks & recreation?) to have the signs corrected.

Preemption does apply.

Yata hey