• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Springfield XD-45

Chaingun81

imported post

I'm looking into getting a Springfield XD-45 4" service model soon. I'd appreciate a quick feedback from anyone who had first hand experience with those as far as reliability and accuracy is concerned.

I carried an XD-9SC for a while and never had a single reliabilty problem with it, but accuracy wasn't great (probably partially due to short grip - i'm really not very accurate with these). Anyone ever had any FTF/FTE problems with service size XD-45or any other reliabilty issues?

Vandal

imported post

I am the very happy owner of a 2 year old XD45. The thing is AK reliable and has shot everything I have put in the magazine. They do have some issues feeding lead semi-wadcutter rounds, but most HPs and all FMJ wlll feed and shot well. I have about 3k through the gun with no feed, extraction or ejection issues to date.

They are pretty accurate IMO, it is not as accurate as my Kimber but I have found it more than accurate for defense or game shooting. It is a combat pistol and will not win may awards for looks but the they are accurate for a modern combat gun. Compared with your XD9SC it will be more accurate b/c of the longer barrel and the fact you can get your entire hand in the grip.

Vandal

imported post

go to http://www.xdtalk.com/forums/xd-45acp-discussion-room/

There are some who have issues with FTE, but those typically end up being a poor shooting grip. Some XDs have had a slide release break but those are pretty rare. I have abused my XD and it stills goes bang and ejects the empties when I pull the bang lever. XDs, M&Ps, Glocks, 1911s, Tauri et al are mechanical tools and they cal have the possibility of breakage. For the most part the XD is dead nuts reliable.

Springfield45

imported post

I was the happy owner of an XD-45 5" Tactical.
Reliability, the gun was like an AK. it NEVER failed to function as intended.
Very accurate for a combat pistol.

The only problem I had with mine was the finish. The finish was HORRIBLE.
(Mind you, I bought one within the first year of introduction).
This thing rusted worse than a Dodge bumper in saltwater. It was terrible.
Even with daily doses of light oil. Still, after a day of carry, rust inside and out.

I suggest, Make sure you're purchasing a newer model (I hear SA has corrected
the issue). OR, get a stainless model.

(or just get a 'real' Glock) :lol::celebrate

~~Springfield

Vandal

imported post

The new Melonite finishes on the XDs are tough to rust out. If you buy a new XD you will not have the horrid rust problems that plagued the early HS2000s and XDs. rust will still happen though if you don't take care of the weapon.

Mine has zero rust on it after 2 years.

Springfield45

imported post

Vandal wrote:
The new Melonite finishes on the XDs are tough to rust out. If you buy a new XD you will not have the horrid rust problems that plagued the early HS2000s and XDs. rust will still happen though if you don't take care of the weapon.

Mine has zero rust on it after 2 years.
That's the term I was looking for, the "Melonite" Finish. Supposed to be an excellent finish. Much better than the early XD's.

~~Springfield

FogRider

imported post

I've had a couple (maybe a half dozen, no more than that) stovepipes, but that was with lower quality range ammo, and within the first 2-3 hundred rounds. I've had no issues since then.

planedr

imported post

spring for the extra 50 bucks and get an XDM 40. The XD is old news.

I've got about 1500 rounds through mine and not one problem. The slide stuck open once, but that was because I threw it in a mud puddle just to see if it would shoot afterwards. And 17 rounds of .40 goodness.

Chaingun81

imported post

planedr wrote:

I've got about 1500 rounds through mine and not one problem. The slide stuck open once, but that was because I threw it in a mud puddle just to see if it would shoot afterwards. And 17 rounds of .40 goodness.
I would if it came out in 45 ACP. I've actually been waiting for XDm-45 for like 6 months but got tired of it and decided to get an XD-45 instead and trade it in for XDm-45 couple of years after it comes out (if it ever comes out). I'm REALLY not a fan of 40 - seems like a pretty stupid compromise of a caliber to me. As far as i'm concerned - use 9mm whenever possible and go all the way to 45 if need. That, not talking about revolver calibers of course...

Springfield45

imported post

Chaingun81 wrote:
planedr wrote:

I would if it came out in 45 ACP. I've actually been waiting for XDm-45 for like 6 months but got tired of it and decided to get an XD-45 instead and trade it in for XDm-45 couple of years after it comes out (if it ever comes out). I'm REALLY not a fan of 40 - seems like a pretty stupid compromise of a caliber to me. As far as i'm concerned - use 9mm whenever possible and go all the way to 45 if need. That, not talking about revolver calibers of course...
Oh yeah ? Well my .40 can pee farther than your 9mm..... :lol:
I'd argue the pros and cons of the 9mm, .40, and .45acp.
But I don't want to start another caliber debate. I trust in my .45 as
well as my .40 to be effective man stoppers should the need ever arise.....

~~Springfield

Chaingun81

imported post

Springfield45 wrote:
Chaingun81 wrote:
planedr wrote:

~~Springfield

I agree that 40 is more powerful than 9 mm. My point was - 9 mm is overall an effective man stopper - or police and military wouldn't carry it - and it's cheap to practice with and would likely to be more availiable in SHTF scenario. If you need to step up the power - then go all the way to 45, which is also way more common caliber than 40 in the same bad scenario. I'm not saying 40 is bad, i'm just saying i don't really see a point of 40 as a compromise between 9mm and 45. Just my opinion.

The other reason is to limit the number of calibers i need to search for and try to stockpile - i already have 1 x9 mm, 1 x 38 spl and 1 x 45 ACP and i would like tokeep my handgun ammo reserve limited to this 3 calibers, at leastuntil wind changes and ammo becomesreadily availiable again...

deepdiver

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Have an XD45 service compact on my hip as I type this and carry it regularly. Only FTF or FTE in several thousand rounds was due to a box of problem ammo. Shoots fine, hits what it is aimed at if I do my job.

Springfield45

imported post

Chaingun81 wrote:
Springfield45 wrote:
Chaingun81 wrote:
planedr wrote:

~~Springfield

I agree that 40 is more powerful than 9 mm. My point was - 9 mm is overall an effective man stopper - or police and military wouldn't carry it - and it's cheap to practice with and would likely to be more availiable in SHTF scenario. If you need to step up the power - then go all the way to 45, which is also way more common caliber than 40 in the same bad scenario. I'm not saying 40 is bad, i'm just saying i don't really see a point of 40 as a compromise between 9mm and 45. Just my opinion.

The other reason is to limit the number of calibers i need to search for and try to stockpile - i already have 1 x9 mm, 1 x 38 spl and 1 x 45 ACP and i would like tokeep my handgun ammo reserve limited to this 3 calibers, at leastuntil wind changes and ammo becomesreadily availiable again...
Chaingun,

IMHO,

The point of compromise for me, was to avoid the extra weight (on a hot day in light shorts) of the .45acp without losing too much firepower.

Now, I'm not bashing the 9mm, nor the .40, nor the .45, I think all three are effective personal defense rounds,and the .45 has absolutely proven itself over the last 100 years, and I myself carry all 3 calibers for defense. (no, not at the same time:lol:.)

Like I said, weight plays a role in my decision on the hot days. ie;

A fully loaded Glock 19 (9x19mm) - 29.93 oz.
A fully loaded Glock 22 (.40 S&W) - 31.30 oz.
A fully loaded Glock 21 (.45acp) - 40.49 oz.
Give or take a few tenths depending upon your ammo of choice.

The above weights are taken from my postal scale in the garage.
The firearms were loaded with Hornady SD ammunition.
Full magazine, plus one in the chamber.

For a difference of hardly noticeable 1.37 oz., you can carry more firepower than the 9mm, with minimal weight difference. Whilst the .45 is a very noticeable 9.19 oz. (over half a pound).

That was one of my major influences on leaving the .45 in the safe, and putting the .40 on my hip.

Just my $0.02.

~~Springfield

richarcm

imported post

I've got the XD9, my dad has the XD45 and my dad's gf has the XDM9. All three guns are excellent (hence why we have 3 total). I used to be pretty good with my 1911 and better than with my XD9 but now I can shoot the XD9 much more accurately. I really love how it shoots. I have no complaints. I don't think many XD 4" owners do.

Springfield45

imported post

Chaingun81 wrote:
Springfield45 wrote:
Chaingun81 wrote:
planedr wrote:

~~Springfield

Chaingun,

IMHO,

The point of compromise for me, was to avoid the extra weight (on a hot day in light shorts) of the .45acp without losing too much firepower.

Now, I'm not bashing the 9mm, nor the .40, nor the .45, I think all three are effective personal defense rounds,and the .45 has absolutely proven itself over the last 100 years, and I myself carry all 3 calibers for defense. (no, not at the same time:lol:.)

I know this is an XD thread, and I used Glocks for reference because I don't have XD's in all three calibers lol....

Like I said, weight plays a role in my decision on the hot days. ie;

A fully loaded Glock 19 (9x19mm) - 29.93 oz.
A fully loaded Glock 22 (.40 S&W) - 31.30 oz.
A fully loaded Glock 21 (.45acp) - 40.49 oz.
Give or take a few tenths depending upon your ammo of choice.

The above weights are taken from my postal scale in the garage.
The firearms were loaded with Hornady SD ammunition.
Full magazine, plus one in the chamber.

For a difference of hardly noticeable 1.37 oz., you can carry more firepower than the 9mm, with minimal weight difference. Whilst the .45 is a very noticeable 9.19 oz. (over half a pound).

That was one of my major influences on leaving the .45 in the safe, and putting the .40 on my hip.

Just my $0.02.

~~Springfiled

Loneviking

imported post

I have a buddy with an XD 45, and I'm his reloader. The XD 45 is a great gun but it will NOT fire wadcutters and especially the flat nose type. I tried some and the rounds just wouldn't feed. You have to use hardball and test any hollowpoint ammo you want to carry. The gun has jammed a couple of times when we were running some 50 year old Olin 1911 hardball loaded by the military for the 1911's. The jams were very easy to clear as the port on the XD is very large. Just slap the slide back, the round popped out, release the slide and go.

Accuracy is really good for me. I like the wide, flat slides and the .45 can hit accuarately out to 50 yards. Beyond that, you have to start holding higher and higher, but again, most gunfights are inside thirty feet.

The only thing I don't like about the XD is the size of the grip and those darn serrations on the front and back of the grip. The grip walks around in my hand too much and those grips start to blister my hands after about 50 rounds or so. I keep telling my buddy he should put Agrip on there, but the grips don't bother him. The grip is also too large to be comfortable for me, but the gun is a hoot to shoot, so I do it anyway!

My next gun is going to be a XD 40/subcompact and that one will have Agrip and Pierce grip extensions on it!