Thread: Carry while dropping off kids at school?

Post imported post

I read the statutes on Handgunlaw.org and it doesn't list a provision for dropping off your kids like VA allows. Does this mean zero posession of handguns while on school grounds like the parking lot, IE leave it at home?

Post imported post

I'm a teacher at a school here in Central KY. I don't know about open carrying, but I know that I can have a handgun in my glove box, and I know that parents may have them in their glove boxes. I assume that since I have my CCDW I can conceal within my car as well.

Post imported post

Do you happen to have the statute that says that? I couldn't find anything.

State Researcher

Post imported post

No, quite the contrary. KRS 527.070(3)(a) exempts from the prohibition on weapons on school property in Kentucky:

[a]n adult who possesses a firearm, if the firearm is contained within a vehicle operated by the adult and is not removed from the vehicle, except for a purpose permitted herein, or brandished by the adult, or by any other person acting with expressed or implied consent of the adult, while the vehicle is on school property[.]

KRS 237.110(16)(f), relating to locations where CCDW licensees may not carry concealed weapons, imposes no greater restriction with regard to school property than is found in KRS 527.070.

Thus, as a matter of state law in Kentucky, as long as you do not brandish a gun or remove it from the vehicle, an adult may possess or store a firearm in a vehicle on school property in any manner. The only remaining consideration is the federal Gun-Free School Zones Act, which completely exempts KY CCDW licensees within KY but has a more restrictive provision for vehicular transport and storage for everyone else.
    James M. "Jim" Mullins, Jr., Esq.
    Admitted to practice in West Virginia and Florida.

Founder, Past President, Treasurer, and General Counsel, West Virginia Citizens Defense League, Inc.
    Life Member, NRA

Post imported post

Thank you very much, most helpful.

Post imported post

So what exactly is to the contrary?

Post imported post

I think he's referring to my original post...
    Does this mean zero posession of handguns while on school grounds like the parking lot, IE leave it at home?