• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Carry while dropping off kids at school?

chris in va

imported post

I read the statutes on Handgunlaw.org and it doesn't list a provision for dropping off your kids like VA allows. Does this mean zero posession of handguns while on school grounds like the parking lot, IE leave it at home?

langzaiguy

imported post

I'm a teacher at a school here in Central KY. I don't know about open carrying, but I know that I can have a handgun in my glove box, and I know that parents may have them in their glove boxes. I assume that since I have my CCDW I can conceal within my car as well.

JimMullinsWVCDL

State Researcher
imported post

No, quite the contrary. KRS 527.070(3)(a) exempts from the prohibition on weapons on school property in Kentucky:

[align=left]
[a]n adult who possesses a firearm, if the firearm is contained within a vehicle operated by the adult and is not removed from the vehicle, except for a purpose permitted herein, or brandished by the adult, or by any other person acting with expressed or implied consent of the adult, while the vehicle is on school property[.]
[/align]

KRS 237.110(16)(f), relating to locations where CCDW licensees may not carry concealed weapons, imposes no greater restriction with regard to school property than is found in KRS 527.070.

Thus, as a matter of state law in Kentucky, as long as you do not brandish a gun or remove it from the vehicle, an adult may possess or store a firearm in a vehicle on school property in any manner. The only remaining consideration is the federal Gun-Free School Zones Act, which completely exempts KY CCDW licensees within KY but has a more restrictive provision for vehicular transport and storage for everyone else.