• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

decent digital recorder for little cash

bnkrazy

Campaign Veteran
imported post

I have a little Sony, came with some software to take the files off the recorder and search for relevant parts, etc.

It will store more than I need to record, and it only cost about $60 at Circuit City/Best Buy.

Whatever you get, make sure it can move the files off to a PC for long term storage/editing, etc.

ETA: Model # is ICD-P620

Abock33

imported post

is the Flip worth the extra cash? I was looking at them on Amazon. $200 seeme a bit pricy to me.That was for the HD camera.I did see the basic flip in white for about $60.It was on amazon.com also.

Pol Mordreth

imported post

There is an older thread on this here, with a few more models and options. I use an RCA model RP5120A, about 1/2 the size of a cigarrette pack. only thing I don't like is that if the batteries are low it will sometimes stop recording. I do get about 15 hours of recording of a set of AAA rechargeables. It will hols about 18 hours of high quality.

Regards,

Pol

MarlboroLts5150

imported post

I got the Olympus WS-321M. 17hr total record time, 1 AAA battery will last much longer than that. USB jack is built in so you can plug it directly into your USB port. Excellent, I repeat...EXcellent mic....excellent recorder. If you have Windows Media Player, your computer will automatically recgonize it as a WMA file, so you can save it and burn the file to a disc.

The cost might be a little higher than your looking for...$110 at BestBuy, but IMO, its well worth it. I recommend this recorder to anyone looking for one.

pi_16466.gif

jeeper1

imported post

I carry an OLYMPUS VN-3200PC. $50 at Radio Shack and has a usb cable to down load to your computer.

Pagan

imported post

I went out to Best Buy today and got an Olympus vn 5200 pc. It's small and easy to operate, good recording whenI was practicing with it. 1 button recording, but gotta watch that hold button when changing batteries lol.

sraacke

imported post

ed wrote:

Ed,

I carry the same model recorder and have to give it a Thumbs Down. When I set it to record and place it in y shirt pocket the Stop/Play button is to easily pushed. I can't count the number of times I've been walking somewhere and suddenly hear the playback coming from my pocket. It's pretty disconcerting to have to stop, get the recorder out and fumble with it to stop the playback and reset it to record again. There I am trying to keep things discreet and the recorder keeps going off. I spend more time worrying about my darned recorder than I do about the gun on my hip. I've even tried rigging up some wings to cover the Stop/Play buttons so they would not be pushed so easily but that didn't last. If the buttons were recessed into the body of the unit or a bit harder to activate it wouldn't be so bad but the way it is is not working for me. It's more hassle than it's worth. I'd recommend a different model.

bnkrazy

Campaign Veteran
imported post

yale wrote:
ed wrote:

Ed,

I carry the same model recorder and have to give it a Thumbs Down. When I set it to record and place it in y shirt pocket the Stop/Play button is to easily pushed. I can't count the number of times I've been walking somewhere and suddenly hear the playback coming from my pocket. It's pretty disconcerting to have to stop, get the recorder out and fumble with it to stop the playback and reset it to record again. There I am trying to keep things discreet and the recorder keeps going off. I spend more time worrying about my darned recorder than I do about the gun on my hip. I've even tried rigging up some wings to cover the Stop/Play buttons so they would not be pushed so easily but that didn't last. If the buttons were recessed into the body of the unit or a bit harder to activate it wouldn't be so bad but the way it is is not working for me. It's more hassle than it's worth. I'd recommend a different model.
Yale, try sliding the 'Hold' switch to keep the current mode locked.

If recording, it will keep recording. If off, it won't start playing. ;)

sraacke

imported post

bnkrazy wrote:
yale wrote:
ed wrote:

Ed,

Yale, try sliding the 'Hold' switch to keep the current mode locked.

If recording, it will keep recording. If off, it won't start playing. ;)
Where is the facepalm smilie?

bnkrazy

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Don't feel too bad, I've done the same thing with other types of electronic equipment. I tend to not read manuals, so I sometimes miss something that would make my life easier.

sraacke

imported post

bnkrazy wrote:
Don't feel too bad, I've done the same thing with other types of electronic equipment. I tend to not read manuals, so I sometimes miss something that would make my life easier.

Thanks but I still feel like a doofus. I can't believe I've been fighting with this thing for months and never knew what that slide was for.

Well, Now that we have cleared that up, and I've had a chance to make sure that the Lock slide really does do that, I will revise my opinion and give that model a Thumbs Up. Just read the darn manual. I didn't and you see the headache I've given myself.

HungSquirrel

imported post

I carry an Olympus VN-5200PC. Plenty of talk time and USB connectivity. Decent audio quality. You can change the mic sensitivity as well as the recording quality. You can also change the menu language to Spanish. The paranoid cynic in me likes this feature, as I assume that a LEO might be tempted to confiscate the recorder during an encounter and erase files...

~$65 at Best Buy.

rpyne

imported post

HungSquirrel wrote:
I carry an Olympus VN-5200PC. Plenty of talk time and USB connectivity. Decent audio quality. You can change the mic sensitivity as well as the recording quality. You can also change the menu language to Spanish. The paranoid cynic in me likes this feature, as I assume that a LEO might be tempted to confiscate the recorder during an encounter and erase files...

~$65 at Best Buy.
$50 on Amazon http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001DDT42I