• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Kicked out of Meijer's for OC

Rogue9er

Campaign Veteran
imported post

I went to the Saline Meijer's today, OCing an 1911 in a rather old leather holster. I returned some bottles, checked the ammo case (empty), and was looking at replacement headlights with my friend, when I saw a manager-looking-type walk down the main aisle while looking at me. Even though my weakside was toward him, I knew what was coming right then. He came down, asked how we were doing while walking past, then stopped, turned, and asked if I could cover up or leave it in the car. He then explained that it's policy to not allow OC, and that not even loss prevention could carry, mostly due to customer complaints in the past. I asked if it was store or corporate policy, and he said it was corporate. I then explained to him that I don't patronize stores that don't allow OC, and neither do many other gun owners. He didn't seem to care. I explained that I wouldn't be shopping there anymore, he kinda shrugged it off and left. As I was walking I decided to pick up a couple bottles of vodka on the way out, since I didn't feel like paying an extra $5 on campus for the same product. He did miss out on about $100 of other stuff, though.

The manager's name was Mark Smith, and he said that loss prevention had pointed me out to him. I doubt that it's corporate policy, so I'll be calling that in when I get the chance, probably tomorrow. I've never heard of anyone getting kicked out of Meijer's, so we'll see where this goes. One of you may know more about it.

DanM

imported post

Rogue9er wrote:
I've never heard of anyone getting kicked out of Meijer's, so we'll see where this goes. One of you may know more about it.

Nope, I've not had any problems in the Meijer I shop at (Lake Orion)and I've shopped there several times OC'ing.

I'm not familiar with their policies, having had no reason to research it.

HankT

State Researcher
imported post

Rogue9er wrote:
As I was walking I decided to pick up a couple bottles of vodka on the way out, since I didn't feel like paying an extra $5 on campus for the same product. He did miss out on about $100 of other stuff, though.
Man, you shoulda bought a whole case of vodka. You could have told ole Mark Smith that heforced you to save $60!

That would've got him.

maahes

imported post

Ive never had an issue at Meijer, and Im in the Jackson or Mason Meijers every other day it seems. I try and support local Michigan businesses when I can. Hopefully you get this resolved.

zigziggityzoo

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Rogue9er wrote:
I went to the Saline Meijer's today, OCing an 1911 in a rather old leather holster. I returned some bottles, checked the ammo case (empty), and was looking at replacement headlights with my friend, when I saw a manager-looking-type walk down the main aisle while looking at me. Even though my weakside was toward him, I knew what was coming right then. He came down, asked how we were doing while walking past, then stopped, turned, and asked if I could cover up or leave it in the car. He then explained that it's policy to not allow OC, and that not even loss prevention could carry, mostly due to customer complaints in the past. I asked if it was store or corporate policy, and he said it was corporate. I then explained to him that I don't patronize stores that don't allow OC, and neither do many other gun owners. He didn't seem to care. I explained that I wouldn't be shopping there anymore, he kinda shrugged it off and left. As I was walking I decided to pick up a couple bottles of vodka on the way out, since I didn't feel like paying an extra $5 on campus for the same product. He did miss out on about $100 of other stuff, though.

The manager's name was Mark Smith, and he said that loss prevention had pointed me out to him. I doubt that it's corporate policy, so I'll be calling that in when I get the chance, probably tomorrow. I've never heard of anyone getting kicked out of Meijer's, so we'll see where this goes. One of you may know more about it.

Man! we must have just missed each other. I was there tonight myself. I didn't have any problems OC'ing though. I, too, noticed the very empty ammo case.

I had a... let's just say interesting ... experience with Meijer on Carpenter Rd (Ypsi/Pittsfield) where their loss prevention accused me of stealing batteries
(of all things) and they held me against my will and made me remove my jacket and empty pockets. Wasn't carrying then, but I got a formal apology from the manager of the store, and a $100 gift card for my trouble (and for a promise not to sue them....)

But no problems OCing at any of the local Meijer stores so far. Maybe they're scared of me now?

-Zzz

Big Gay Al

Michigan Moderator
imported post

Shoot, for a $100.00 gift card? Where is this Meijer's? I want to get accused of stealing batteries so I can get one of those too!

DrTodd

Michigan Moderator
imported post

Big Gay Al wrote:
Shoot, for a $100.00 gift card? Where is this Meijer's? I want to get accused of stealing batteries so I can get one of those too!
Count me in, too. Perhaps if we held out on the possibility of suing them, they would up the ante a little.

HankT

State Researcher
imported post

zigziggityzoo wrote:
GJD wrote:
You didn't want to sue them for false imprisonment?

I wasn't so sure I'd win.

Plus, I'm not a sue-happy person. I just wanted the apology (in writing), which I got.

I think I would have pushed it further, after receiving the advice of a lawyer.

But I can see your approach too. Your approach of insisting on the apology is very good because they don't really want to do it. And that way there is a record, probably including inside someone's personnel file.

I think you did just fine.

Rogue9er

Campaign Veteran
imported post

I called the corporate # on the website, got someone named Irene, and gave her the rundown. I then asked if the no OC was store or corporate policy, to see if it matched up with what Mr. Smith claimed. She didn't know what to do, and put on hold. Georgette picks up, and I later find out that she is the Ann Arbor-Saline store director, and she doesn't know what to do either, saying it had never came up. This is in conflict with what Mr. Smith said, so now I at least have him on that point.

Hopefully she'll get back to me quickly, although I'll probably have to call back on Monday or Tuesday to check up on things.

Big Gay Al

Michigan Moderator
imported post

For some reason I recall this came up before, and supposedly Meijers follows what ever the law says. i.e., if OC is legal, then it should be legal in their stores.

But I should point out, I'm not a lawyer, and I might be recalling policy for a different chain of stores.

Rogue9er

Campaign Veteran
imported post

That's what others have indicated, as well as a topic search. The main reason that I'm going after this is because the manager told me it was corporate policy and that it has happened before, while the store supervisor told me the opposite. I don't appreciate being lied to. Plus, I like to go to Meijers, and would prefer to OC.

Big Gay Al

Michigan Moderator
imported post

Keep in mind, you may not have been intentionally lied to. It's possible the manager who stopped you just didn't know better.

But it's definitely a case for "educating" them. ;)

Rogue9er

Campaign Veteran
imported post

If he doesn't know, he should say so. He should not say that it's policy and has happened before. The supervisor had no problem telling me that she had never heard of any policy on the matter.

Big Gay Al

Michigan Moderator
imported post

I agree, but sometimes, if in a situation where they don't know, they may invoke what THEY think is the correct response. That could be what happened here.

Doesn't excuse what he did, but it's just a possibility.

EM87

imported post

Hey Rogue, do you have a brother named Dan who goes to WMU? I was disc golfing today, OCing, and some dude was like, "Hey, open carry!" We struck up a conversation and he told me about his brother who got kicked out of a Meijer in Ann Arbor for OCing just a few days ago. I remembered this thread and asked if he knew if his brother posts on this website, but he didn't know. It would be really cool if this was actually your brother that I met!

AlwaysLearning

imported post

I have to guess that you guys have aCPL to open carry in Meijer's. They are licensed by Michigan Liquor Control so those of us without a CPL can't open carry in there as I understand it.

If I am wrong please let me know.

Thanks,

AlwaysLearning

EM87

imported post

AlwaysLearning wrote:
I have to guess that you guys have a CPL to open carry in Meijer's. They are licensed by Michigan Liquor Control so those of us without a CPL can't open carry in there as I understand it.

If I am wrong please let me know.

Thanks,

AlwaysLearning

That's correct. Any place that sells alcohol is off limits for OC without a CPL.