• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Kicked out of Meijer's for OC

eastmeyers

imported post

Howdy, long time since i've been on here. Anyways, I shoot at a buddies property near Ohio all the time. I have open-carried at least a dozen times in the woodhaven store with-out even a weird look, while buying ammo. I have also oc'd in the Madison Heights, Royal Oak, and Rochester Hill's Meijers. I don't understand, i've never had a problem oc'n with the exception of a Detroit LEO, but thats another story.

SpringerXDacp

imported post

eastmeyers wrote:
Howdy, long time since i've been on here. Anyways, I shoot at a buddies property near Ohio all the time. I have open-carried at least a dozen times in the woodhaven store with-out even a weird look, while buying ammo. I have also oc'd in the Madison Heights, Royal Oak, and Rochester Hill's Meijers. I don't understand, i've never had a problem oc'n with the exception of a Detroit LEO, but thats another story.
Welcome back. If you don't mind, post the Detroit LEO story in the stickied,List your open carry experiences here thread.

Veritas

imported post

Hey Everyone,

I'm brand new here... this is my first post, in fact. Let me begin by saying that I'm a HUGE civil rights fan and a believer in openly carrying. I do it quite often, in fact. Almost every time I leave the house, my pistol I wear my pistol strong side. If my shirt or coat covers it, great. If not, oh well. I don't worry about printing or whether or not my weapon shows... because I know my rights.

This being said, I feel compelled to play the devils advocate on some of the cases I've been reading about folks being kicked out of stores for openly carrying. It's pretty simple: The premises may be open to the public, but they have the right to refuse service to anyone. If they don't want visible weapons on their premises, they can simply refuse you service and ask you to leave. If you refuse to leave, then you are trespassing. It's a fundamentally similar concept to going to a party at a private residence in that the party may be open to anyone to "come as they are", but the homeowner could easily ask you to leave if they didn't want you carrying an open weapon in their house. Conceal Carry, however, is a different story. If the homeowner never knows you have a weapon, then they are none-the-wiser. Same with store owners.

Schools and municipal properties, however, I believe are different stories. As entities funded by taxpayers, I believe they should be held to the laws of the land in ways that private property owners may not necessarily be obliged to follow. This means I support the open carrying in municipal buildings.

But as far as private property is concerned, I believe in the civil liberties of the property owners/managers/fiduciaries/etc to exercise their own sovereign rights to choose who has access to their grounds. If they choose to discriminate based on you openly carrying; that is their right. A store owner can say "No open carry in my store" just as legally as a bigot can say "No black people in my house". It may be morally wrong, but it is within the realm of their legal right to assert such. This being said, you have rights too... you have the right to choose to shop somewhere else. You have the right to do what you're doing by campaigning to corporate. But remember, not everyone is as "aware" as many of us OC'ers are... so I'm beseeching you folks to please pick and choose your battles wisely. If someone makes a big stink and starts talking legal action about something, when they're not real clear on the law themselves, it gives those close-minded bigots fuel to continue fighting us.

I open carry quite often. I don't draw attention to myself... I don't argue with anyone... I simply go about my business as if there were no firearm on my hip. Most people probably assume I'm plain-clothes law enforcement or something. I've had a handful of people ask me if I was a cop... my answer was simply "No" and I went about my business. A few of those handful pointed at my sidearm and asked why I was carrying it. Simply, my answer is "Because it can't do me any good sitting in my closet at home." A few have tried to engage me in debate, but I don't entertain them. The bottom line is that I know the law and I know my rights... end of story. I don't need to prove that to some idiot on the street who wants to question me. This includes cops, by the way. I have not yet been stopped by an officer; but if I ever am, my demeanor would not change. When stopped (walking, not driving), I am required to give my name, address, and date of birth... nothing more. I'm not even required to furnish ID or proof that I have a CPL (because open carrying does not require a CPL). Unless I'm being investigated for a crime, an officer has no other cause to question or detain me beyond gathering my name, date of birth, and address. Period. If they claim that they're "investigating" a call about "someone with a gun"; I would remind them that the State AG, as well as the MSP, have published very clear opinions as to the legality of openly carrying... then immediately ask for the officer to call a supervisor. Make no mistake that EVERY SINGLE OFFICER IN MICHIGAN who has been on the job longer than a few weeks KNOWS that open carry is legal. It has been published in police newsletters to compel them not to harrass citizens who OC. Why? Because if a citizen has the guts to openly carry, then they know their rights and likewise have the guts to assert them. This means lawsuits and bad publicity for municpalities.

I read on another thread somewhere (I can't find it now) where several people bantered back and forth about needing to have a CPL in order to open carry in a Meijer. This is untrue. You NEVER need a CPL to open carry anywhere. However, if you're going to open carry, it really behooves you to have a CPL because of all the little techncal crap the police can smack you with. For instance, if you don't have a CPL, but you are exercising your CONSTITUTIONAL right to openly carry... you can be charged with felony concealment if the wind blows your shirt and causes it to slightly conceal your weapon. Or the second you enter a vehicle, you go from "open carry" to "conceal carry" and without a CPL, you've just committed a felony. But to simply open carry in a store does NOT require a CPL.

I can go on for hours about this subject... believe me. I honestly enjoy helping people better understand their rights and how lmisinterpreting laws can adversely afffect them. So please... take nothing that I've said as insulting towards anyone here. I don't know how much you folks do or don't know... I haven't scrubbed all the threads. I just managed to stumble on this site while researching information about another state for a friend and ran across a couple conversations that appeared to be propogating common misunerstandings about open/conceal carry laws.

Glad this site exists though... it's good to have a forum to promote awareness. :)

Big Gay Al

Michigan Moderator
imported post

Veritas wrote:
Hey Everyone,

I read on another thread somewhere (I can't find it now) where several people bantered back and forth about needing to have a CPL in order to open carry in a Meijer. This is untrue. You NEVER need a CPL to open carry anywhere. However, if you're going to open carry, it really behooves you to have a CPL because of all the little techncal crap the police can smack you with. For instance, if you don't have a CPL, but you are exercising your CONSTITUTIONAL right to openly carry... you can be charged with felony concealment if the wind blows your shirt and causes it to slightly conceal your weapon. Or the second you enter a vehicle, you go from "open carry" to "conceal carry" and without a CPL, you've just committed a felony. But to simply open carry in a store does NOT require a CPL.
You need a CPL to open carry in any Meijer's store that sells alcohol. You need to read 750.234d. This applies only to possession of a firearm, WITHOUT a CPL. In other words, if you are openly carrying a firearm. The first part lists places you cannot legally carry a firearm. The 2nd part list exceptions, one in particular of which I have put in bold type.

In general, you can open carry in most stores, provided they do not fall under line (h).

750.234d Possession of firearm on certain premises prohibited; applicability; violation as misdemeanor; penalty.
Sec. 234d. (1) Except as provided in subsection (2), a person shall not possess a firearm on the premises of any of the following:
(a) A depository financial institution or a subsidiary or affiliate of a depository financial institution.
(b) A church or other house of religious worship.
(c) A court.
(d) A theatre.
(e) A sports arena.
(f) A day care center.
(g) A hospital.
(h) An establishment licensed under the Michigan liquor control act, Act No. 8 of the Public Acts of the Extra Session of 1933, being sections 436.1 to 436.58 of the Michigan Compiled Laws.

(2) This section does not apply to any of the following:
(a) A person who owns, or is employed by or contracted by, an entity described in subsection (1) if the possession of that firearm is to provide security services for that entity.
(b) A peace officer.
(c) A person licensed by this state or another state to carry a concealed weapon.
(d) A person who possesses a firearm on the premises of an entity described in subsection (1) if that possession is with the permission of the owner or an agent of the owner of that entity.

(3) A person who violates this section is guilty of a misdemeanor punishable by imprisonment for not more than 90 days or a fine of not more than $100.00, or both. History: Add. 1990, Act 321, Eff. Mar. 28, 1991;—Am. 1992, Act 218, Imd. Eff. Oct. 13, 1992;—Am. 1994, Act 158, Eff. Aug. 15, 1994.

Venator

Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter
imported post

Veritas wrote:
Hey Everyone,

I'm brand new here... this is my first post, in fact. Let me begin by saying that I'm a HUGE civil rights fan and a believer in openly carrying. I do it quite often, in fact. Almost every time I leave the house, my pistol I wear my pistol strong side. If my shirt or coat covers it, great. If not, oh well. I don't worry about printing or whether or not my weapon shows... because I know my rights.

This being said, I feel compelled to play the devils advocate on some of the cases I've been reading about folks being kicked out of stores for openly carrying. It's pretty simple: The premises may be open to the public, but they have the right to refuse service to anyone (NOT TRUE SOME ARE PROTECTED BY LAW, like race religion, etc.). If they don't want visible weapons on their premises, they can simply refuse you service and ask you to leave. If you refuse to leave, then you are trespassing. It's a fundamentally similar concept to going to a party at a private residence in that the party may be open to anyone to "come as they are", but the homeowner could easily ask you to leave if they didn't want you carrying an open weapon in their house. Conceal Carry, however, is a different story. If the homeowner never knows you have a weapon, then they are none-the-wiser. Same with store owners.

Schools and municipal properties, however, I believe are different stories. As entities funded by taxpayers, I believe they should be held to the laws of the land in ways that private property owners may not necessarily be obliged to follow. This means I support the open carrying in municipal buildings (WHICH IS ALLOWED BY THE 1990 PREEMPTION LAW.).

But as far as private property is concerned, I believe in the civil liberties of the property owners/managers/fiduciaries/etc to exercise their own sovereign rights to choose who has access to their grounds. If they choose to discriminate based on you openly carrying; that is their right. A store owner can say "No open carry in my store" just as legally as a bigot can say "No black people in my house". It may be morally wrong, but it is within the realm of their legal right to assert such. This being said, you have rights too... you have the right to choose to shop somewhere else. You have the right to do what you're doing by campaigning to corporate. But remember, not everyone is as "aware" as many of us OC'ers are... so I'm beseeching you folks to please pick and choose your battles wisely. If someone makes a big stink and starts talking legal action about something, when they're not real clear on the law themselves, it gives those close-minded bigots fuel to continue fighting us.

I open carry quite often. I don't draw attention to myself... I don't argue with anyone... I simply go about my business as if there were no firearm on my hip. Most people probably assume I'm plain-clothes law enforcement or something. I've had a handful of people ask me if I was a cop... my answer was simply "No" and I went about my business. A few of those handful pointed at my sidearm and asked why I was carrying it. Simply, my answer is "Because it can't do me any good sitting in my closet at home." A few have tried to engage me in debate, but I don't entertain them. The bottom line is that I know the law and I know my rights... end of story. I don't need to prove that to some idiot on the street who wants to question me. This includes cops, by the way. I have not yet been stopped by an officer; but if I ever am, my demeanor would not change. When stopped (walking, not driving), I am required (NOT IN MICHIGAN, you don't have to answer any questions or show ID.) to give my name, address, and date of birth... nothing more. I'm not even required to furnish ID or proof that I have a CPL (because open carrying does not require a CPL). Unless I'm being investigated for a crime, an officer has no other cause to question or detain me beyond gathering my name, date of birth, and address. Period. If they claim that they're "investigating" a call about "someone with a gun"; I would remind them that the State AG, as well as the MSP, have published very clear opinions as to the legality of openly carrying... then immediately ask for the officer to call a supervisor. Make no mistake that EVERY SINGLE OFFICER IN MICHIGAN (This is definitely not true. Many LEO's done know it's legal or think it is brandishing, I mean even CPL instructors say that.)who has been on the job longer than a few weeks KNOWS that open carry is legal. It has been published in police newsletters to compel them not to harrass citizens who OC. Why? Because if a citizen has the guts to openly carry, then they know their rights and likewise have the guts to assert them. This means lawsuits and bad publicity for municpalities.

I read on another thread somewhere (I can't find it now) where several people bantered back and forth about needing to have a CPL in order to open carry in a Meijer. This is untrue. (THIS IS TRUE, STATE LAW LISTS PLACES YOU CAN NOT POSSESS A FIREARM and any place that has a liquor license is on that list.) You NEVER need a CPL to open carry anywhere (Again not true.). However, if you're going to open carry, it really behooves you to have a CPL because of all the little techncal crap the police can smack you with. For instance, if you don't have a CPL, but you are exercising your CONSTITUTIONAL right to openly carry... you can be charged with felony concealment if the wind blows your shirt and causes it to slightly conceal your weapon. Or the second you enter a vehicle, you go from "open carry" to "conceal carry" and without a CPL, you've just committed a felony. But to simply open carry in a store does NOT require a CPL.

I can go on for hours about this subject... believe me. I honestly enjoy helping people better understand their rights and how lmisinterpreting laws can adversely afffect them. So please... take nothing that I've said as insulting towards anyone here. I don't know how much you folks do or don't know... I haven't scrubbed all the threads (Ah that explains a lot. Do spend some time on the info thread and see what we advise, I think we cover most of the base very well.). I just managed to stumble on this site while researching information about another state for a friend and ran across a couple conversations that appeared to be propogating common misunerstandings about open/conceal carry laws.

Glad this site exists though... it's good to have a forum to promote awareness. :)

My comments in red

Welcome, read some more on the information we give, you might even learn a bit yourself;)

Cheers,

Brian Jeffs, President
MICHIGAN OPEN CARRY Inc.

BB62

Accomplished Advocate
imported post

Rogue9er wrote:
If he doesn't know, he should say so. He should not say that it's policy and has happened before. The supervisor had no problem telling me that she had never heard of any policy on the matter.
So is the matter closed?

Have you and the manager been informed that all forms of carry legal within your state are okay with Meijer?

Rogue9er

Campaign Veteran
imported post

BB62 wrote:
Rogue9er wrote:
If he doesn't know, he should say so. He should not say that it's policy and has happened before. The supervisor had no problem telling me that she had never heard of any policy on the matter.
So is the matter closed?

Have you and the manager been informed that all forms of carry legal within your state are okay with Meijer?
No, it's not. The store supervisor was supposed to call me back once she had checked with corporate to find their policy on the matter. I haven't heard from her, and am in the middle of finals week and have not had the time to call her back and check up on the matter. If I don't hear from her by Monday (or maybe Wednesday when I finish exams) I'm going to call back and see what's going on. If she does not have a response, I'll ask her for a name and number in corporate and I'll do it myself.

Veritas

imported post

Big Gay Al wrote: Thanks for the info... I honestly was not aware of that provision in the MCL. I think having a CPL has spoiled my mind to not investigate as much what restrictions non-CPL holders are subject to. So to stand corrected: It is legal to open carry anywhere in the State... as long as you have a CPL.

I love how these laws are written, by the way. The Second Amendment enumerates our right to keep and bear arms, and yet States still find silly ways to circumvent this by requiring permission to keep (purchase) and permission to carry (bear) unrestricted.

Score one point for this site already for having taught me something! Rock on!

Venator

imported post

Veritas wrote:
Big Gay Al wrote: Thanks for the info... I honestly was not aware of that provision in the MCL. I think having a CPL has spoiled my mind to not investigate as much what restrictions non-CPL holders are subject to. So to stand corrected: It is legal to open carry anywhere in the State... as long as you have a CPL.

I love how these laws are written, by the way. The Second Amendment enumerates our right to keep and bear arms, and yet States still find silly ways to circumvent this by requiring permission to keep (purchase) and permission to carry (bear) unrestricted.

Score one point for this site already for having taught me something! Rock on!

"It is legal to open carry anywhere in the State... as long as you have a CPL."

Not quite true either. There are places you can't carry in the state with a CPL. One is courts, another is National Parks, how about inside Military bases and in/on federal buildings or it's property, that's a few off the top of my head

DanM

imported post

Veritas wrote:
It is legal to open carry anywhere in the State... as long as you have a CPL.

No, you can't in courts (per an administrative order from the Michigan Supreme Court)nor on USPS property. The US Code relevant to USPS property:

Title 18,
United States Code, Section 930

http://edocket.access.gpo.gov/cfr_2003/julqtr/39cfr232.1.htm

"(l) Weapons and explosives. No person while on postal property may
carry firearms, other dangerous or deadly weapons, or explosives, either
openly or concealed, or store the same on postal property, except for
official purposes."

Careful, just when you know you don't know everything about OC butthink you know everything about CC . . . you might not. Read, learn, and ask questions here. :)

DanM

imported post

DanM wrote:
Title 18, United States Code, Section 930

http://edocket.access.gpo.gov/cfr_2003/julqtr/39cfr232.1.htm

"(l) Weapons and explosives. No person while on postal property may
carry firearms, other dangerous or deadly weapons, or explosives, either
openly or concealed, or store the same on postal property, except for
official purposes."
Excuse me, the Code is

Title 39,
Code of Federal Regulations, Section 232.1

The link and the quote are correct, however.

Veritas

imported post

Venator wrote:
(NOT TRUE SOME ARE PROTECTED BY LAW, like race religion, etc.). Point of clarification here: I understand that discriminating for these reasons is illegal, but the fact remains that a place of business can refuse service to anyone. If they come out and say something like "I'll serve the Christian behind you but not you because you're Jewish", well then that's a pretty obvious case of religious discrimination. However, they don't have to give a reason. They can simply refuse service. Bringing this subject back to point: If I own or manage a business (Meijer, for instance) and someone walks in carrying an open firearm; I have the right to ask that person to leave my premises immediately. Regardless whether they are legally carrying or not is moot... I have simply exercised my right to refuse them service/admittance. To actually SAY why I'm doing it would probably foolish, however. Despite how long winded I am when I write, I generally take the "The less you say, the better" stance when I'm treading the gray line.

(WHICH IS ALLOWED BY THE 1990 PREEMPTION LAW.). I understand this and have actually tried it in an establishment in which alcohol comprised more than 50% of their sales. I didn't get past the door lol. But I do stand by the establishments right to refuse me service... that was their call. Again, to clarify the point I was trying to make is that when you approach a courthouse or school, you often find signs posted that prohibit the carrying of firearms. In that these establishments are largeley funded by tax dollars, I find it reprehensible that they would dissalow the taxpayer to carry on the premises. I personally don't view a municipal entity and a private entity as being the same.

(NOT IN MICHIGAN, you don't have to answer any questions or show ID.) If this is indeed true, this is news to me. My understanding is that if you are stopped as the subject of a complaint (such as someone calling in a complaint about a man with a gun), then you are required to verbally identify yourself (name, DOB, address). Since open carry is legal, and as long as the complaint hasn't alleged anything beyond the fact that you were simply carrying openly, then there is nothing to legally compel an officer to seek anything further from you. It's not until you become the subject of an actual investigation, or otherwise being ticketed or detained, that you become required to prove your identity. This being said, simply walking down the street WITHOUT anyone complaining would give an LEO no cause to stop you at all. But LEO's are notorious for creating Terry Stops. For instance, they could stop you and say that there was an offense committed by someone in your general vicinity or that you match the description of someone their interested in. In this case, giving them name, DOB, and address would suffice. They could conceivably ask any question they want beyond this, but you are not necessarily obligated to prove your identity to them unless they have asserted that YOU, specifically, are the subject of investigation. I believe the defining difference between giving VERBAL disclosure and providing PROOF is the difference between reasonable suspician and probable cause. If you're walking down the street carrying an axe outside of a lumberjack camp, it's not reasonable for an officer to suspect that the axe could be, or was, used to commit a crime... so stopping you to ask questions is not within their legal parameters. They can TRY to gather information from you, but because there is no reasonable suspicion or probable cause you are under no obligation to say or do anything. But in the world of Terry Stops, an officer can stop you and say, "Gee, that's a real sharp axe you're carrying. You know, a few weeks ago someone in this area cut down a tree that didn't belong to them. Do you have any ID on you?" In this case, the officer has established reasonable suspician that your axe might've been used illegally. In this case, I believe you would be required to give your name, DOB, and current address; although NOT required to furnish anything more (including physical ID). However, let's say that you're carrying an axe that has blood dripping from it, and a resident a block away just reported that someone killed her cat. In this case, there is probable cause to suspect your axe has been used in the commission of a crime, and you may be required to prove your identity. In this case, if you do not furnish ID, the officer might have cause to detain you until your ID can be determined by their own methods of investigation.

These are the levels in which I understand my duties and obligations during police interactions. If I am somehow amiss, please point me in the right direction so I can stay sharp.

(This is definitely not true. Many LEO's done know it's legal or think it is brandishing, I mean even CPL instructors say that.) I can't this... you're probably right. I was more or less speaking in general terms... as in that the majority of officers know better by now. But I'm sure there are still some LEO's out there who don't know any better. I haven't had a run in with my firearm yet, but in other situations in which I've had interactions with ill-informed officers, sometimes politely asking them to seek a supervisor for clarification (or even better, knowing their SOP and clarifying it FOR them, albeit politely) goes a long way. I haven't yet had an officer openly admit they were wrong... but they're usually polite when they hand my information back to me and bid me good day.

(THIS IS TRUE, STATE LAW LISTS PLACES YOU CAN NOT POSSESS A FIREARM and any place that has a liquor license is on that list.) Thanks for clarification on this. I honestly did not know.

(Ah that explains a lot. Do spend some time on the info thread and see what we advise, I think we cover most of the base very well.). I plan to... especially since I learned something very important so quickly. Thanks again! :)

Veritas

imported post

Venator wrote:

Not quite true either. There are places you can't carry in the state with a CPL. One is courts, another is National Parks, how about inside Military bases and in/on federal buildings or it's property, that's a few off the top of my head
Barring the obvious, of course. I thought it went without saying that certain places (airports and post offices, for instance) prohibited carrying regardless. I can see I'm going to have dot every "i" and cross every "t" around here! :p

It's cool though... it lets me know that people know what they're talking about. It's refreshing, actually.

DanM

imported post

Venator wrote:

Brian, I think if a federal property doesn't haveUS Code specific to it with regard to weapons (such as the USPS and its Title 39, Code of Federal Regulations, Section 232.1), the governing US Code with respect to weapons on federal property, generically, would be Title 18, United States Code, Section 930 "Possession of firearms and dangerous weapons in Federal facilities". And it seems to allow civilian lawful carry "incident to . . .lawful purposes" (except in Federal court property).

http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/html/uscode18/usc_sec_18_00000930----000-.html

Theparts relevant to lawful carry:

(a) Except as provided in subsection (d), whoever knowingly possesses or causes to be present a firearm or other dangerous weapon in a Federal facility (other than a Federal court facility), or attempts to do so, shall be fined under this title or imprisoned not more than 1 year, or both.
[snip]
(d) Subsection (a) shall not apply to—

[snip]
(3) the lawful carrying of firearms or other dangerous weapons in a Federal facility incident to hunting or other lawful purposes.

[snip: the parts below the above deal specifically with Federal courts, and pretty much say you can't carry in them unless you are performing official duties as an official, agent, or member of the Armed Forces.]

DanM

imported post

Veritas wrote:
Barring the obvious, of course. I thought it went without saying that certain places (airports and post offices, for instance) prohibited carrying regardless.
But "anywhere" (the word you used)means "anywhere". It doesn't mean "anywhere, barring the obvious, of course" (which is actually paradoxical because if you have exceptions to places you can carry, then you can't ALSO carry "anywhere" at the same time). Words mean stuff.

Also, it does not go without saying that airports prohibit carrying regardless. You may carry on and in the property and buildings of an airport, except for the "sterile" areas.

You don't have to worry about dotting i's and crossing t's here, as long as you can accept corrections or criticism constructively. I want you to feel like you can put something out here for it to be discussed, even if you don't know for certain. Speak up . . . it's ok to be slightly wrong or totally wrong . . . we all are at some points. :)

Venator

imported post

Veritas wrote:
Venator wrote:
(NOT TRUE SOME ARE PROTECTED BY LAW, like race religion, etc.). Point of clarification here: I understand that discriminating for these reasons is illegal, but the fact remains that a place of business can refuse service to anyone. If they come out and say something like "I'll serve the Christian behind you but not you because you're Jewish", well then that's a pretty obvious case of religious discrimination. However, they don't have to give a reason. They can simply refuse service. Bringing this subject back to point: If I own or manage a business (Meijer, for instance) and someone walks in carrying an open firearm; I have the right to ask that person to leave my premises immediately. Regardless whether they are legally carrying or not is moot... I have simply exercised my right to refuse them service/admittance. To actually SAY why I'm doing it would probably foolish, however. Despite how long winded I am when I write, I generally take the "The less you say, the better" stance when I'm treading the gray line.

I never said a place couldn't kick you out for a gun, I was pointing out that certain things are protected by state and federal law that does overide private property rights. You said they can kick you out for anything, that not true.
(WHICH IS ALLOWED BY THE 1990 PREEMPTION LAW.). I understand this and have actually tried it in an establishment in which alcohol comprised more than 50% of their sales. Perhaps you don't understand Preemption, it only applies to local municipalities and not private property. I didn't get past the door lol. But I do stand by the establishments right to refuse me service... that was their call. Again, to clarify the point I was trying to make is that when you approach a courthouse or school, you often find signs posted that prohibit the carrying of firearms. In that these establishments are largeley funded by tax dollars, I find it reprehensible that they would dissalow the taxpayer to carry on the premises. I personally don't view a municipal entity and a private entity as being the same. They are not the samethat is why preemption was created. Unless a state law or rule exists (like courtrooms, concealed carry laws or prohibited places like .234d lower municipalities can't enact more restrictive gun laws.

(NOT IN MICHIGAN, you don't have to answer any questions or show ID.) If this is indeed true, this is news to me. It is true, show me the statute that states I have to show ID or answer question asked by an LEO, unless I'm driving (DL), or carrying concealed (CPL and DL.) Michigan is not a stop and ID state. Regardless you can refuse to answer questions under the 5th amendment.) My understanding is that if you are stopped as the subject of a complaint (such as someone calling in a complaint about a man with a gun), The Supreme court has decided the mere presence of a gun alone does not meet the criteria for a stop and Terry. then you are required to verbally identify yourself (name, DOB, address). Since open carry is legal, and as long as the complaint hasn't alleged anything beyond the fact that you were simply carrying openly, then there is nothing to legally compel an officer to seek anything further from you. It's not until you become the subject of an actual investigation, NOT TRUEor otherwise being ticketed or detained, that you become required to prove your identity. I'm not saying you won't be arrested or detained for remaining silent but you do not by law have to say anything to an LEO, that's that whole 5th amendment thingy. This being said, simply walking down the street WITHOUT anyone complaining would give an LEO no cause to stop you at all. But LEO's are notorious for creating Terry Stops. For instance, they could stop you and say that there was an offense committed by someone in your general vicinity or that you match the description of someone their interested in. That is why we carry recorders and practice wash rinse and repeat. Ask why you are being detained, if they say because you are carrying a gun then that's not enough, but again you have no legal requirement to give ID or talk to the police if questioned. In this case, giving them name, DOB, and address would suffice. They could conceivably ask any question they want beyond this, but you are not necessarily obligated to prove your identity to them unless they have asserted that YOU, specifically, are the subject of investigation. I believe the defining difference between giving VERBAL disclosure and providing PROOF is the difference between reasonable suspician and probable cause. If you're walking down the street carrying an axe outside of a lumberjack camp, it's not reasonable for an officer to suspect that the axe could be, or was, used to commit a crime... so stopping you to ask questions is not within their legal parameters. They can TRY to gather information from you, but because there is no reasonable suspicion or probable cause you are under no obligation to say or do anything. But in the world of Terry Stops, an officer can stop you and say, "Gee, that's a real sharp axe you're carrying. You know, a few weeks ago someone in this area cut down a tree that didn't belong to them. Do you have any ID on you?" In this case, the officer has established reasonable suspician that your axe might've been used illegally. In this case, I believe you would be required to give your name, DOB, and current address; although NOT required to furnish anything more (including physical ID). However, let's say that you're carrying an axe that has blood dripping from it, and a resident a block away just reported that someone killed her cat. In this case, there is probable cause to suspect your axe has been used in the commission of a crime, and you may be required to prove your identity. In this case, if you do not furnish ID, the officer might have cause to detain you until your ID can be determined by their own methods of investigation.

These are the levels in which I understand my duties and obligations during police interactions. If I am somehow amiss, please point me in the right direction so I can stay sharp. Read more at this site. Many people on this site have verified and cited numerous sources for over two years, we generally get it right or state that we don't know or define something as a gray are in the law.

(This is definitely not true. Many LEO's done know it's legal or think it is brandishing, I mean even CPL instructors say that.) I can't this... you're probably right. I was more or less speaking in general terms... as in that the majority of officers know better by now. But I'm sure there are still some LEO's out there who don't know any better. I haven't had a run in with my firearm yet, but in other situations in which I've had interactions with ill-informed officers, sometimes politely asking them to seek a supervisor for clarification (or even better, knowing their SOP and clarifying it FOR them, albeit politely) goes a long way. I haven't yet had an officer openly admit they were wrong... but they're usually polite when they hand my information back to me and bid me good day.

(THIS IS TRUE, STATE LAW LISTS PLACES YOU CAN NOT POSSESS A FIREARM and any place that has a liquor license is on that list.) Thanks for clarification on this. I honestly did not know.

(Ah that explains a lot. Do spend some time on the info thread and see what we advise, I think we cover most of the base very well.). I plan to... especially since I learned something very important so quickly. Thanks again! :)
My comments in Blue. Generally if someone makes a claim it's up to that person to cite some law or other authority to back it up. We have done this so often that we have tried to list it all in the info thread at the top of the page. If you find something to contradict what we have said please post it as we are interested in being correct than being stroked for our egos.

Taurus850CIA

imported post

Welcome, Veritas. It looks like you've got a decent grasp of the basics, you just need to tune up on some finer points. This is certainly the place to do it. This is a great group of folks, I hope to see you stick around for a while.

eastmeyers

imported post

SpringerXDacp wrote:
eastmeyers wrote:
Welcome back. If you don't mind, post the Detroit LEO story in the stickied,List your open carry experiences here thread.

Thanks for the warm welcomes back! I went ahead and put my experience with DPD for ya, I'm on page 76.

SpringerXDacp

imported post

eastmeyers wrote:
SpringerXDacp wrote:
eastmeyers wrote:

Thanks for the warm welcomes back! I went ahead and put my experience with DPD for ya, I'm on page 76.
Do you keep any of the open carry handouts with you? If not, go to the stickied, Michigan Open Carry Info Here thread and look for the links in the first post by Venator. That way, when you run into your buddy(ies) :)again you'll have something for them to read.