• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Kicked out of Meijer's for OC

Scooter

imported post

Rogue9er wrote:
I went to the Saline Meijer's today, OCing an 1911 in a rather old leather holster. I returned some bottles, checked the ammo case (empty), and was looking at replacement headlights with my friend, when I saw a manager-looking-type walk down the main aisle while looking at me. Even though my weakside was toward him, I knew what was coming right then. He came down, asked how we were doing while walking past, then stopped, turned, and asked if I could cover up or leave it in the car. He then explained that it's policy to not allow OC, and that not even loss prevention could carry, mostly due to customer complaints in the past. I asked if it was store or corporate policy, and he said it was corporate. I then explained to him that I don't patronize stores that don't allow OC, and neither do many other gun owners. He didn't seem to care. I explained that I wouldn't be shopping there anymore, he kinda shrugged it off and left. As I was walking I decided to pick up a couple bottles of vodka on the way out, since I didn't feel like paying an extra $5 on campus for the same product. He did miss out on about $100 of other stuff, though.

The manager's name was Mark Smith, and he said that loss prevention had pointed me out to him. I doubt that it's corporate policy, so I'll be calling that in when I get the chance, probably tomorrow. I've never heard of anyone getting kicked out of Meijer's, so we'll see where this goes. One of you may know more about it.

A relative works at that store in a "high" position. They recently told me that a "newer" manager had told someone to cover up or leave and had also called the police for OC in the store. My relative was dismayed "Why did you do THAT?" they asked, "it is legal" The manager said "people were freaking out". Unlikely. My relative is married to a retired LEO and knows the laws of the state. They do not understand why anyone would want to OC (don't get me started) but are fine with it if you so choose.

The reason I post this is that I visited that relative today and we discussed OC and they brought up what the new manager did several weeks ago and wondered if anyone posted about it on this site. I don't know if this was the same situation or not...?

Anyway, as far as I can tell, Meijer has no problem with OC unless someone complains...then it's up to them if they want to make an issue...

BB62

Accomplished Advocate
imported post

Rogue9er wrote:
BB62 wrote:
Rogue9er wrote:
If he doesn't know, he should say so. He should not say that it's policy and has happened before. The supervisor had no problem telling me that she had never heard of any policy on the matter.
So is the matter closed?

Have you and the manager been informed that all forms of carry legal within your state are okay with Meijer?
No, it's not. The store supervisor was supposed to call me back once she had checked with corporate to find their policy on the matter. I haven't heard from her, and am in the middle of finals week and have not had the time to call her back and check up on the matter...

(The post above was written April 23)

Where do things stand?

Rogue9er

Campaign Veteran
imported post

On Monday, I still had not heard back from the store supervisor, so I called the store and asked to speak to her. Apparently she went on vacation (starting that Monday) and will be back on the 18th.

I called the general customer service line again, and after explaining the situation to whoever picked up the phone. After hearing all about what she thought of the situation, she connected me to the loss prevention guy at the related store. He said he was fine with OC, and after telling me a lot of things that I already knew, He gave me the number to the regional Loss Prevention Director. I'll be calling him today, see if he knows anything.

Venator

Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter
imported post

Rogue9er wrote:
On Monday, I still had not heard back from the store supervisor, so I called the store and asked to speak to her. Apparently she went on vacation (starting that Monday) and will be back on the 18th.

I called the general customer service line again, and after explaining the situation to whoever picked up the phone. After hearing all about what she thought of the situation, she connected me to the loss prevention guy at the related store. He said he was fine with OC, and after telling me a lot of things that I already knew, He gave me the number to the regional Loss Prevention Director. I'll be calling him today, see if he knows anything.
Try to get something recorded or sent in an email on Meijer's policy on OC so I can post it. Thanks for your efforts.

Rogue9er

Campaign Veteran
imported post

So I talked to Stan, the LP director. He seemed a little bemused by the idea of OC, since he is into guns himself. Kind of a "holy crap, people do that?" attitude. We discussed the issue a little bit, and I found out that there had been a written customer complaint, it had made it all the way to his level. His explanation for all this is that some customers might not want to shop in a place that allowed such things, and I answered that neither I nor many others would want to shop in a place where we couldn't.

He will be looking into the matter, looking for any written policy on it. He has my number, and will call me when he finds something.

Big Gay Al

Michigan Moderator
imported post

Well...just for your edutainment, I OCed in the South Lansing Meijers, about 20 minutes ago. (20 minutes ago from 6:45PM, 5/14/2009) Lots of stares from some customers, a few glancing looks from employees, but no one said anything to me other than, "Can I help you find anything?"

I knew what I was after, and I knew where it was, so my reply was, "No, thank you. I have a short shopping list today."

zigziggityzoo

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Rogue9er wrote:
So I talked to Stan, the LP director. He seemed a little bemused by the idea of OC, since he is into guns himself. Kind of a "holy crap, people do that?" attitude. We discussed the issue a little bit, and I found out that there had been a written customer complaint, it had made it all the way to his level. His explanation for all this is that some customers might not want to shop in a place that allowed such things, and I answered that neither I nor many others would want to shop in a place where we couldn't.

He will be looking into the matter, looking for any written policy on it. He has my number, and will call me when he finds something.

I'll chime in too. I OC in Meijer about every time I go there, at least two to three dozen times this year. No issues thus far (OC Related anyway... was accused of shoplifting once but that's when I wasn't carrying).

Rogue9er

Campaign Veteran
imported post

No news, Stan looked around but decided to refer me to the Legal department in Grand Rapids. I'll study up on what other people have done when talking to bigger parts of corporate, I feel like I might have to pitch the idea a bit. That'll probably happen tomorrow.

zigziggityzoo

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Rogue9er wrote:
No news, Stan looked around but decided to refer me to the Legal department in Grand Rapids. I'll study up on what other people have done when talking to bigger parts of corporate, I feel like I might have to pitch the idea a bit. That'll probably happen tomorrow.

FWIW, I've talked to their legal dept. before. Very different situation though.

DrTodd

Michigan Moderator
imported post

I buy my groceries at the local Meijer store and OC every time. So that is about 1-2x a week for probably the last 1.5 years. I haven't had anyone ever comment, nor have I noticed any unusual behavior from those who have seen my firearm. I did have a customer ask me where the restroom was once, and when I said that i did not know, she said that she thought I worked there because I was carrying a price gun (lol).

smellslikemichigan

Campaign Veteran
imported post

did anyone ever find out a specific corporate policy on OC in meijer? since i got thrown out of the Marysville meijer today, i'm a bit curious. the security officer was a little hazy on actual policy and said they were ok with it as long as other customers didn't complain. and apparantly they did.

zigziggityzoo

Campaign Veteran
imported post

smellslikemichigan wrote:
did anyone ever find out a specific corporate policy on OC in meijer?  since i got thrown out of the Marysville meijer today, i'm a bit curious.  the security officer was a little hazy on actual policy and said they were ok with it as long as other customers didn't complain.  and apparantly they did.

Don't think so.

FWIW, I carry to Meijer almost weekly, to the ones in A2 or the ones in Kalamazoo. Never have had an issue for OC.

smellslikemichigan

Campaign Veteran
imported post

i carried in the port huron meijer earlier this week for nearly an hour and had no issues there either. i'm hoping this will be an isolated incident that meijer corporate can clarify for its individual stores. i would like to continue shopping there, but will not if this is how i can expect to be treated.