• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Open Carriers protest Seattle Mayor Nickels' gun ban by . . . open carrying at tea party!

DEROS72

imported post

I have found most LEO's very supportive and if one is not out looking for a confrontation will leave you alone.I have never been bothered in downtown Seattle or anywhere. Even when I go into the bank no one even looks up anymore.If someone tries to get confrontational I'll just walk away because your not going to change their mind anyway.

sudden valley gunner

imported post

heresolong wrote:
Had mine at the Bellingham TEA party and saw SuddenValleyGunner there as I was leaving. Never would have known it was him without seeing the Glock(?) strapped to his hip. Had a nice chat. I also had a stack of flyers sticking out of my back pocket and handed out two of them to people who asked about the pistol.

Yea it was good to finally meet you heresolong. And its a glock19....lol.

No problem from the Bellingham PD at all even a curteous nod from what appeared to be a seargent. A couple of conversations with people who were supportive of Open carry. Even had one man tell me he is afraid of guns but felt at ease with me around.

DEROS72

imported post

Thanks.That was just to show that Seattle PD won,t bother you if you open carry.Most are quite supportive.Used to live about 4 years over on Nellis down from Samstown.Miss it.Would I get hasseled for oc there.

irish

imported post

DEROS72 wrote:
Thanks.That was just to show that Seattle PD won,t bother you if you open carry.Most are quite supportive.Used to live about 4 years over on Nellis down from Samstown.Miss it.Would I get hasseled for oc there.

I figured that was the motivation and I applaud you and the Seattle PD for not hassling OC'ers. I was stationed in Everett for 4 years so I'm pretty familiar with the area.

I've yet to be hassled and I OC quite a bit in Vegas, not everyday, but definitely every weekend which is when I run around and do most errands anyways.

Really about the only place I know of where you're going to be hassled would be The Strip and I can honestly say I do understand that to a degree even though I don't agree with it. Too many people from CA, NY,IL, D.C., foreigners, etc. who would probably stampede like the frightened subjects that they are when they see a person who wants to protect themselves.

Take care.

DEROS72

imported post

Isn't that the truth.I was thinking of moving back there.Miss the weather.I used to drive up Flamingo through the strip to get to work.What a pain that was on fridays trying to get home.I oC here everyday and have never been so much as asked for ID.Wa. actually has some of the best laws in the country.No registration required,no safety classes,To get concealed carry is just a one page form and 55 dollars no questions asked.They do ,do an FBI background but thats all.You do have to have a Conceal carry permit to carry loaded in your car.Once you have a conceal carry there is no waiting period to buy a firearm.

Task Force 16

Campaign Veteran
imported post

There were at least 2 of us OC'ing at the Nashville TEA Party. Didn't see anyone else, but WCrawford said he was there. Had no incounters with LEO, but did have a few people at the gathering ask me about the legality of OC (strictly curiousity) and one lady actually thanked me for coming armed and had some HCP questions. (she had recently been assaulted and is currently seeking to get her HCP)

Alexcabbie

imported post

DEROS are you telling me that the land o' McDermott is even easier for Concealed Carry than the Commonwealth of Virginia where we are currently under assault by Obergruppenfuehrer Bloomberg and the Brady Bunch?!!? WOW.

OH YEAH, I wasn't able to make it to the DC Tea Party, but here's a little known quirk in D.C. law: Although firearms are forbidden, pellet guns and BB guns are A-Okay for persons over 18. I am tempted to OC one of Walther's BB Co2 PPK/s pistols there next time. (the Co2 aspect should cheese off the environazis nicely int the bargain). But probably not a good idea really, especially since Lafayette Park is US Park Service territory. Oh well....

DEROS72

imported post

Yep carry here in Wa.as liberal as it seems is just about easier than anywhare else.Police here have even been warned thaey are not to even ask for ID .which if they see you carrying with a proper holster they won,t bother you.I open carry into my bank all the time,I have on the bus etc.Never once been asked for a permit or ID.Did you see the video of the news coverage of our event here last month.We are talking of a massive and I mean massive hundreds of thousands from all over.Open carry pro 2A rally march on WA.staged in Virginia.It is what is going to be needed to make the point.

DEROS72

imported post

Here is the news story again for those who haven't seen it.I wonder if Obama would approve of my community organizing........?

http://www.king5.com/localnews/stories/NW_032809WAB-guns-apartments-KS.7e6c358d.html?rss?npc

SeaTac apartment residents meet to discuss gun laws

[size=-1]
04:51 PM PDT on Saturday, March 28, 2009
[/size]

[size=-1]By CHRIS DANIELS KING 5 News[/size]

SEATAC, Wash. - Some SeaTac apartment residents have a hard time forgetting the shooting which injured two people last month.

"It was a little unnerving," says James Beal, "I heard six shots."

Beal was home when a 17-year-old opened fire on a group of people. He's now trying to rally his neighbors together, while making a pitch about how he protects himself.

"I carry a weapon for personal protection as most people here do, and we feel it our option under the Second Amendment,” he said.

Beal helped sponsor a gathering Saturday at the Willow Lake Apartments, which he says was designed as a way to bring people together, to organize neighborhood "block watches” and talk about gun laws.

"I'm not advising it,” Beal said. “I'm just making sure people are aware they have the option.”

Roughly 40 people were there about mid-day, and a vast majority of them were carrying weapons.

Kristen Comer, of Operation Ceasefire, approves of Beal's effort to bring together the community to discuss the issues. But she says neighbors should ask themselves how comfortable they'd be with several apartment dwellers carrying guns.

"For the vast majority of residents in this area, is that what they want?” she said. “Do they want their neighbors walking around with the sidearms on their persons at all times?"

She believes organizers should be more focused on curbing access to guns on the secondary market.

King County Sheriff's Department Sergeant John Urquhart says anyone buying a gun should think long and hard about it.

"It's legal under state and federal law," Urquhart said. "But if you use your gun to scare or intimidate, that's violating another law, so be very careful."

irish

imported post

DEROS72 wrote:
Isn't that the truth.I was thinking of moving back there.Miss the weather.I used to drive up Flamingo through the strip to get to work.What a pain that was on fridays trying to get home.I oC here everyday and have never been so much as asked for ID.Wa. actually has some of the best laws in the country.No registration required,no safety classes,To get concealed carry is just a one page form and 55 dollars no questions asked.They do ,do an FBI background but thats all.You do have to have a Conceal carry permit to carry loaded in your car.Once you have a conceal carry there is no waiting period to buy a firearm.
Your laws are better than Nevada andLas Vegas concerning CC! And I separate Vegas because we're in Clark County and have to register our pistols here. For CC you have to take a class which you pay for, fingerprints, photographed and pay $100 for them to investigate you. If you've never been to jail apply for your CC permit and be treated like a criminal andthat's why I won't get one, yet.

Bookman

Campaign Veteran
Winston Salem, North Carolina, United States
imported post

Yep! Believe it or not, Washington is a "Shall Issue" state for CC. So if you're legal to buy you're legal to carry. AND since there's no law prohibiting OC that's legal too. The state constitution is quite clear on gun ownership, too.

ETA: CPL fees are currently $55.25, and they have to issue the permit in 30 days or less.

FMCDH

imported post

Bookman wrote:
Yep! Believe it or not, Washington is a "Shall Issue" state for CC. So if you're legal to buy you're legal to carry. AND since there's no law prohibiting OC that's legal too. The state constitution is quite clear on gun ownership, too.

ETA: CPL fees are currently $55.25, and they have to issue the permit in 30 days or less.
To add: 60 days if you applying for an out of state permit, which still must be applied for in person.

Note: Snohomish County is currently issuing resident permits in about 1 week or less. Snohomish out of staters are taking about a month.

Magister

imported post

30 days to issue? Bellingham had mine signed and in my mailbox in 3 days flat. The date says it was approved, stamped by the PD chief, and ready to go the same day I did my prints and payed.

I cant say the same for my father in Blaine though. It took the Blaine PD close to 90 days and they refused to mail it to him. He had to pick it up at the station.

sudden valley gunner

imported post

Bookman wrote:
Generally speaking, it's better to apply to the Sheriff's Office than the PD. The KCSO mailed mine to me so that I had it in my hands in 30 days. Two friends applied to SPD and had to go pick theirs up.
I agree sheriff's office is the way to go. Our sheriff department in Whatcom is above board on my dealings with them. I even OC'ed a couple times down there without them even batting an eye. Great folks and an example to other Law enforcement.

MetalChris

imported post

DEROS72 wrote:
Another pic Seattle tea party.Notice the police NOT bothering us.They were actually quite supportive....
I was carrying my Tanfaglio Witness .45
Hoo-frackin-ah! That's awesome!

Manu

imported post

irish wrote:
DEROS - Well done, I really like the pictures with the police in the background :cool:
When you talk to DEROS picure you are suppose to mention about his hair style etc and then about cops or anything else.... Looks like you do not know him well :p

joeroket

imported post

Manu wrote:
irish wrote:
DEROS - Well done, I really like the pictures with the police in the background :cool:
When you talk to DEROS picure you are suppose to mention about his hair style etc and then about cops or anything else.... Looks like you do not know him well :p

I think he meant he liked the pictures of with the police shadowed by his freakin hot hair.:lol: